2019 NFL Season General Discussion

'7'

Eh I think Coughlin's time as a major power broker is over with after what happened with the PA violations his name is probably mud in terms of running an organization, and as vibrant as he is I don't think many GM's will hire a 70-plus year old with his recent record as a head coach though that's probably his more likely comeback route.  I think he's just an 'advisor' and behind the scenes brain from here in, probably with the Giants like you said.

Edited by NJDevs4978

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh I think Coughlin's time as a major power broker is over with after what happened with the PA violations his name is probably mud in terms of running an organization, and as vibrant as he is I don't think many GM's will hire a 70-plus year old with his recent record as a head coach though that's probably his more likely comeback route.  I think he's just an 'advisor' and behind the scenes brain from here in, probably with the Giants like you said.

Yea. Can't argue with that

• 3 weeks later...

Well that’s that.

Pats need to move on from Tom...that’s not to knock him, he had a fvcking awesome career.  But 43 is 43, and that’s what he’ll be next year.  Father Time remains undefeated.  If Brady insists on pulling a Brodeur and playing for another team next year, Pats have to bite the bullet and let it happen.  They got all of his best.  Now it’s about the future.  This run was insanely long.  But it couldn’t be more over.  

• Like 1

Well what a first day of the NFL playoffs!  That Bills-Texans finish sounded like a bunch of drunkards stumbling around lol

Yeah CR you were right about the Pats this time...to think when they were 8-0 I was getting paranoid about another 19-0 chase, but something changed after that Raven game, almost as if the bully got unmasked.  Plus yeah their schedule got harder in the second half but when they blew that Dolphin game that was the ultimate 'this isn't their year' signal.

re: Brady where would he even go?  The rival Colts?  Minnesota if Cousins eats it tomorrow?  New Orleans if Brees wins a 2nd this year and decides to retire off that?  I don't think he's interested in playing for a loser just to play but I don't know that many good teams that are looking for a short-term QB.  There's always Dallas if they divorce Dax too.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well what a first day of the NFL playoffs!  That Bills-Texans finish sounded like a bunch of drunkards stumbling around lol

Yeah CR you were right about the Pats this time...to think when they were 8-0 I was getting paranoid about another 19-0 chase, but something changed after that Raven game, almost as if the bully got unmasked.  Plus yeah their schedule got harder in the second half but when they blew that Dolphin game that was the ultimate 'this isn't their year' signal.

re: Brady where would he even go?  The rival Colts?  Minnesota if Cousins eats it tomorrow?  New Orleans if Brees wins a 2nd this year and decides to retire off that?  I don't think he's interested in playing for a loser just to play but I don't know that many good teams that are looking for a short-term QB.  There's always Dallas if they divorce Dax too.

It was impossible to get a true read on the Pats at 8-0 because they were playing JV and freshman teams...literally.  But they failed every test put to them after that, save for beating the Bills to seal up the AFC East.  To me, the home loss to the Dolphins was the “It’s Over” bell being rung, no question.

Don’t know where Tom would go...assuming there would be legit interest.  Whoever would sign him would be chasing past glory...it’s like I said...it’s impossible to ignore 43 years old.  What miracles does Brady realistically have left to provide?

I hope he just calls it quits.

I don't see Brady doing some sort of Favre shenanigans. Behind an offensive line that's not constructed by Scharnecchia, a different HC, receivers he has no chemistry with...why? NE was able to mask a few things this year with Brady. Won't be so easy next year.

It wouldn't surprise me because Brady seems more savvy than Brodeur and Favre and those types...but still who knows. 

If he left, it wouldn’t really be shenanigans.  He’ll be a free agent, he appears to want to keep playing (for now), and his current organization may simply be ready to move on.  My feeling on that is the same that it’s always been...if Brady can find a team willing to pay him to play, and he still wants to, it’s his choice whether or not he wants to keep going.

I just hope he doesn’t, because even though the year ended badly for him as the season wore on, he still put up not-awful numbers for the season.  He’s only one year removed from a SB win, and his team won another division title this year.  Even with the pick-6 in what potentially could have been his final throw in the NFL, he can still leave the game with his head held high...just about everyone would say that at least he knew when to get out.  There’s just nothing left for him to prove.  

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he left, it wouldn’t really be shenanigans.  He’ll be a free agent, he appears to want to keep playing (for now), and his current organization may simply be ready to move on.  My feeling on that is the same that it’s always been...if Brady can find a team willing to pay him to play, and he still wants to, it’s his choice whether or not he wants to keep going.

I just hope he doesn’t, because even though the year ended badly for him as the season wore on, he still put up not-awful numbers for the season.  He’s only one year removed from a SB win, and his team won another division title this year.  Even with the pick-6 in what potentially could have been his final throw in the NFL, he can still leave the game with his head held high...just about everyone would say that at least he knew when to get out.  There’s just nothing left for him to prove.  

It's very public him tying up loose ends in the Boston area. Trying to sell a home etc...but honestly I mean it's Brady and Giselle. What would it be so hard for them to rent a house for a year and then they can start doing the TB12 stuff more aggressively. Brady always loves proving people wrong and just thrives off it. It fuels him. The way I kind of see it is that he may want to prove he can win something without Belichick. He also playing with fire a bit as even us joking about him never getting hit behind that line...well I mean he still does get hit and has taken plenty of shots since 2001. The threat of CTE is real and you just don't know with him or any other player how they'll be at 50 or 55. One more year getting hit more often than you have been before at 43 may not be worth it for him.

Belichick has won Super Bowls and taken teams to the playoffs without Brady and is 67...I don't know how much he cares about winning as a head coach without Brady for the first time. I kind of see that the years have mellowed him. I'm used to see him seething after losses. He wasn't seething yesterday. Right now I just think he wants to make sure the Patriots are left in good hands QB wise when he retires which probably won't be for another two years

I just absolutely see no QB the Patriots can put out there that will be better than even a declining Tom Brady next season in their environment. A new QB could come in and even a good player would be overwhelmed there and following in those footsteps And he may not have a good working relationship with Belichick like Brady did. In my eyes with Brady the Patriots would be a slight favorite over Buffalo to win the AFC East next year again. So why not take one more shot with your best guy and you can sort of craft it as an official retirement tour

Brady himself does not like anybody breathing down his neck. He didn't want Garoppolo around and that's understandable. Favre didn't care for Rodgers and Montana didn't care for Young either. I think that is the real conflict here. Brady is still leaving this open ended and year to year with his career...but he's also made in known he doesn't want to bother with any true QB's of the future on the roster. The Patriots absolutely know they need a QB of the future on the roster NOW. 

I have no clue where San Diego entered the discussion. But as we've seen before where there's smoke there's fire. He's from California ok I get that but even with Brady I don't think the Chargers are going to be a SB threat in 2020. They'd just be some kind of ok 8-8 team. Rebound over this year...but nothing special.]

Chicago popped in my head as a potential destination that hasn't really been discussed. But they're further along than San Diego and if you give them Brady...pretty legit contender

Edited by '7'

I don’t know that it’s possible to predict what a 43-year-old Brady can do in 2020. For the first time in his career, he’s far from the ol’ reliable sure thing he’s been for so many years.  I think any team that signs him with the thinking that he can get them over the hump is going to be disappointed.   I think all the hard work and “I’ll show em all!” can’t overcome aging and decline.

You are right, Pats gotta find their true QB of the future.  If they have to try to get by with Stidham for a year or two (assuming the Pats never envisioned him as the next QB or he simply proves that he’s not a starting NFL QB), so be it.  I do feel for the next kid...following a legend is really friggin’ hard.  Just gotta let him do his thing and not compare him to one of the best ever to play.  Let the new guy find his way. 

I gave up a long time ago on trying to do armchair cap spending when it comes to the NFL.  So without taking that into account, there are two things the Patriots can do to convince Brady to stay for another year or two, sign AJ Green and Hunter Henry. 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I gave up a long time ago on trying to do armchair cap spending when it comes to the NFL.  So without taking that into account, there are two things the Patriots can do to convince Brady to stay for another year or two, sign AJ Green and Hunter Henry. 

That’s assuming that the Pats want him back, and that he has interest in staying.  I’m not so sure that either is true.  Not sure BB will back either (I think it’s 50-50 for BB, a bit less for Brady).

Mike McCarthy to Dallas

Guess we'll see if there was any truth behind the smearing he received on his way out of Green Bay

Which sort of surprises me that a respectable league pillar like the Packers would behave in that manner to an outgoing successful coach. Very odd

Giants hire Joe Judge? Very strange. I don't know what is happening with them. Judge hasn't coached a game at any level and I don't think has ever called an offensive or defensive play in his life (only special teams)

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Giants hire Joe Judge? Very strange. I don't know what is happening with them. Judge hasn't coached a game at any level and I don't think has ever called an offensive or defensive play in his life (only special teams)

Guess that means BB is likely staying put in NE.  I'm surprised...more and more I really thought he was headed to the Giants.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess that means BB is likely staying put in NE.  I'm surprised...more and more I really thought he was headed to the Giants.

I honestly think Belichick and his inner circle up there in New England just floats this Giants stuff every so often to spook Kraft and make sure he is getting his way in all matters of personnel  and anything else he wants etc. Because if you don't...don't forget my real desire is that Giants job.

In reality he'd probably just retire than come to the Giants at this point

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

I honestly think Belichick and his inner circle up there in New England just floats this Giants stuff every so often to spook Kraft and make sure he is getting his way in all matters of personnel  and anything else he wants etc. Because if you don't...don't forget my real desire is that Giants job.

In reality he'd probably just retire than come to the Giants at this point

I don't think BB to the Giants someday is permanently dead...if Judge falls flat on his face and is Shurmer Part Deux, I could see the BB-to-the-Giants possibility blowing up again, as soon as after next season.

As for now, I'm starting to think that BB stays for one more year with Brady, and they go all-out trying to put together an offense good enough to challenge for one more SB (with the D doing most of the heavy lifting).  In a way, they did try to do that this year, in-season...but the gamble on Brown blew up in their faces, and it turned out that Gronk really decided that he didn't need this anymore.  And there was never a solid Plan B after Brown/No Gronk Return.  

I still think that going into battle with a 43-year-old QB is tough sledding.  But kinda hard to assume any QB the Pats might draft would be ready immediately.  And I have no idea if BB has any faith in Stidham at all.  More and more, it does look like Brady might be their best option for 2020...scary and could be really sad if he truly doesn't have much left, but now that it looks like BB will be in NE, I think TB probably will be too.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well for all the talk about the Patriot dynasty fading cause they lost to the Titans at home they actually did better against them than the Ravens, yikes.

There is a bit of a '09-10 Jet vibe with the Titans now, though they could definitely take it further cause they're not as immature to blow their load getting there as we did before the Pittsburgh game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well for all the talk about the Patriot dynasty fading cause they lost to the Titans at home they actually did better against them than the Ravens, yikes.

There is a bit of a '09-10 Jet vibe with the Titans now, though they could definitely take it further cause they're not as immature to blow their load getting there as we did before the Pittsburgh game.

To me, it was the Pats losing to the Dolphins at home with the #2 seed on the line (along with Brady’s general decline) that had me thinking the run was over.  Losing to the Titans the following week cemented that feeling.

Awful loss for the Ravens...just brutal.  Hard to imagine that they won’t break through soon though.