2019 NFL Season General Discussion

'7'

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

From everything you read, it doesn't seem like doctors have any ability to say that a 30 year old person who doesn't appear to have any cognitive issues will or will not have them down the road, even if he is a football player.  So I think it was probably that he was generally in lots of pain all over the rest of his body from the repeated beatings he took, and all it took was one more injury that seemed like it was going to be a chronic thing for him to retire, which is much easier when you're that young and have had at least $150 million in earnings from your contract and various endorsements.

That reminds me to tell Chris Grier if he's reading this, do not under any circumstances trade Tunsil.

Edit:  If you want a comparison of who Luck might have been afraid of ending up like, look no further than Joe Namath.  The drinking is what made his mind a little slower after football, but that was probably a result of the whole barely being able to walk sort of thing.

Namath's knees were messed up even before he stepped foot on an NFL field. I believe he had an operation done after leaving Bama and was given 4 good NFL years before he'd break down. And you're correct doctors cannot make any sort of definitive statements regarding cognitive impairment down the line. It varies so dramatically person to person. Some guys are fine and go on to long careers coaching and broadcasting, some guys basically can no longer look after themselves in their mid 40's. Look at George Foreman, at 70 and after a lifetime of being bludgeoned in the head he seems sharp as a tack. Just genetics...some blessed with the sports equivalent of Keith Richards and Ozzy Osbourne genes

Watch any highlights of Namath doing anything post 1970 and you can just see how pained every step is. If he wasn't in such unbearable pain, and had better teams around him post 1969, his career stats would not look quite as ugly as they did. I do remember I think John Riggins during a game or in studio thing making the comment that Namath was pretty much playing disabled in his eyes. He had six knee surgeries during his career and needed a double knee replacement by the time he was in his early 40's (he got one in his late 40s)

spacer.png

Edited by '7'

Got into it how is what I want to know. A shouting match? A physical altercation?

Honestly I had no idea he was this kind of nut until recently. The Steelers seemed to have a good grip on things for a while there

Raiders are such a mess. Always are. But Brown appears to have some mental health issues that he needs to have addressed

Edited by '7'

Gotta wonder when we find out that AB's brain is turning to mush as a result of CTE. 

And when you have a cupcake training camp, a pre season that's becoming more geared towards protecting players and avoiding the catastrophic injury at all costs...this is the kind of week 1 games that you may get. Sloppy football. Very little chemistry among players

15 hours ago, '7' said:

And when you have a cupcake training camp, a pre season that's becoming more geared towards protecting players and avoiding the catastrophic injury at all costs...this is the kind of week 1 games that you may get. Sloppy football. Very little chemistry among players

What's the solution though?  More and more we're seeing how playing football for several years (through childhood, college, and then the NFL) severely screws up too many bodies and minds.  Unfortunately it does seem like the best way to keep this going and to try to keep players as safe as they can possibly be (and attempt to cut down on general wear-and-tear), is to try to reduce the amount of heavy contact outside of "the games that count" as much as possible.

Yeah, it does suck to see the overall quality of the game take a hit (don't get me started on Thursday night games), but I don't know what else can be done.  These guys are all so damned strong and all so damned fast.  Your post says it all...if you want preseason practices and games to be played with same intensity and ferocity as regular season games, you'll see more injuries and shorter careers...yes, you'll probably get better gameplay (especially in the early-season games), but the NFL is definitely between a rock and a hard place on this one.  As much as I can't stand Goodell and as much as the NFL can be so frustrating, I feel for them when it comes to trying to walk that "safety of the players/quality of the game" tightrope.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL Mayock should resign at this point for all the respect his boss Gruden gives him. 

That is crazy. I mean this is over the top even for the dysfunctional Raiders. Have a backbone and discipline this clown

Mayock should definitely walk. For pride's sake. And he doesn't absolutely need the job he can find plenty of well paying positions that he can quite easily walk into

Browns apology rings hollow. He's the one who was the instigator here. In a week he's going to go back to being a lunatic

Brown pretty much acted up to get himself off the Raiders and onto New England. It was predicted well before it happened that this was the scheme all along. And it was the scheme

They signed him so quickly. They're not worried he wont fit into the culture or anything? Of course not they already know he will

Edited by '7'

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

The long national nightmare known as the Zeke training camp vacation is finally over.

That's a long contract for a running back.

The AB sh!t has been crazy lol Raiders. Excited that football is back!

Don't even know what to say about this Antonio Brown saga. It's some kind of black comedy. And EVERY DAY is another twist and turn. This guy needs serious serious help.

And there is no way they knew about it. Demaryius Thomas isn't a Jet if they knew

As far as the AB stuff goes...one thing that I'll say is just because someone is borderline batsh!t crazy (if not outright batsh!t crazy) does not mean he is guilty of sexual assault or rape by default.  Just like every accuser is not automatically a true victim...in today's #metoo world, all a woman has to do is make the accusation, and almost everyone immediately believes it to be the truth, well before all of the facts come out. 

The above being said, if I'm the Pats, I just cut bait and move on, today.  I was never really on board with the AB signing to begin with...if the Pats had suffered two or more debilitating injuries to their receiving corp, I could've understood bringing him in at the time that they did...but under the current circumstances, they sure as hell didn't NEED him.  And guilty or not, due process or not, he is just not worth the aggravation and distractions that will come with his sticking around, while all of this gets sorted out.  And it's not like he's a longtime Patriot who has a serious history with the franchise (with a spotless track record)...if that was the scenario here, I could understand it if the Pats wanted to stick by him initially.  But this guy hasn't even been with them for a week. 

As far as I'm concerned, the cons of signing him always outweighed the pros...he's that classic player who's all happy and smiley until he isn't...and then it can get incredibly ugly in a hurry.  Now the cons win in a such a landslide that I think they really gotta just move on, ASAP.  End of story. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well for a Thursday night game and the usual sh!tstorms it produces, this game was at least close. But it was also sloppily played with terrible flow. Cam Newton was hideous throwing the ball today. Over/under throwing the most wide open receivers.

You can credit both defenses as they both got good sustained pressure all day