Jump to content

2019 NFL Season General Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn...nice job by the Colts organization to complete destroy a guy who might've been a H-O-Famer in a different situation.  As it is, guy retires before his 30th birthday.  Wow indeed...

Irsay is a worse owner than the Wilpons.  Was gifted the best QB prospect since John Elway and never bothered to get him decent offensive linemen until it was too late. 

Hall of Fame game was tonight. It always sort of sneaks up on you...but camps are open and the NFL season is underway All general NFL discussion about games, injuries, controversy etc. can go her

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm kind of high on the Bills.  They're like Jacksonville from a couple of years ago but with a much better quarterback.

They're interesting.  Could be one of those teams that wins ugly, but who cares...the point is to WIN.  If anything it'd be cool to see a team have success primarily with its defense, while scoring just enough on offense.  Old-time football. 

I know some are making a big deal out of the Pats' D to date, but much of what they've done has come against either JV or injury-depleted teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not kidding that the Pats will win at least three of the next six Super Bowls.  The only thing standing in their way is if either the Bills develop a generational defense or if the Dolphins tank succeeds beyond even their expectations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long CAN Brady last though?  How long will he even want to last?  I realize he's lazarus and Darth Vader all rolled into one, but he's already done everything five times over and eventually age has to catch up to even him.  Maybe they can win on their defense and running game even after Brady's gone though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Not kidding that the Pats will win at least three of the next six Super Bowls.  The only thing standing in their way is if either the Bills develop a generational defense or if the Dolphins tank succeeds beyond even their expectations.

Yep. Also, they’re going to avenge 2007 this season by going undefeated and finishing the job this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Also, they’re going to avenge 2007 this season by going undefeated and finishing the job this time.

Yeah that's what really worries me...although I'd like to see their D against a real NFL offense before I'm 100% in the camp of they're the next '85 Bears and '00 Ravens.  They sure do look it against the chaff they've played so far.

The Saints may be the only team in either conference that can beat them.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing looking at the 2018 QB class. Rosen is in career limbo right now it seems. The NFL kicked him to the curb quickly. Darnold has been up and down and REALLY down last night. Also not protected at all. Mayfield taking a major step back this season and getting in trouble with his Rex Ryan mouth. Josh Allen looks competent. The turnovers remain but he's getting the job done for the most part.

Jackson has looked very good though QB's like he is tend to get figured out, he's on the best and most stable franchise

Mason Rudolph...tiny sample size but he's looked like a pro. Total afterthought for 2018

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Also, they’re going to avenge 2007 this season by going undefeated and finishing the job this time.

Buffalo played them very tough in their prior matchup.  Baltimore and KC are potential losses too.  The Pats have put up insane defensive numbers (opposing aggregate QB rating of 35.6), but those stats have come against real dregs. 

If they get to 13-0, the undefeated talk can start. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Buffalo played them very tough in their prior matchup.  Baltimore and KC are potential losses too.  The Pats have put up insane defensive numbers (opposing aggregate QB rating of 35.6), but those stats have come against real dregs. 

If they get to 13-0, the undefeated talk can start. 

I know you’re a fatalist for some reason with the Pats, but they aren’t going to lose a game this year, I can reasonably assure you. The only team in the league that has a puncher’s chance against them in the SB is New Orleans. I honestly think that’s the goal, too- going undefeated wire to wire. Brady and Belichick haven’t forgotten how they pissed away that opportunity,  the one achievement that has eluded them. They’re on a mission. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fatalist, but there’s a reason only one team has ever gone 16-0.  It’s just really friggin’ hard...sh!t happens.  And that team in 2007 had a couple of close calls (most notably against the Ravens and Giants).  
 

Sure, they probably are on a mission...doesn’t mean that they’ll get there.  If they go 14-2 or thereabouts, so be it.  
 

Not sure how you can just not even give Baltimore and KC a shot against the Pats.  Assuming Mahomes is healthy, he’ll at least have last year’s games against the Pats to draw from.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure how you can just not even give Baltimore and KC a shot against the Pats.  Assuming Mahomes is healthy, he’ll at least have last year’s games against the Pats to draw from.  

I doubt Mahomes will be fully healthy the rest of this season. Even after he comes back, he’ll likely still be limited; he’s had more than one injury this year (ankle I think first, now the knee). He won’t be nearly as mobile, which is a big part of his game. The Pats D will neutralize him. Lamar Jackson will just implode and throw a four or five pick game, that’s a given. No one in the AFC has a shot of beating the Pats this year. I’d be floored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I doubt Mahomes will be fully healthy the rest of this season. Even after he comes back, he’ll likely still be limited; he’s had more than one injury this year (ankle I think first, now the knee). He won’t be nearly as mobile, which is a big part of his game. The Pats D will neutralize him. Lamar Jackson will just implode and throw a four or five pick game, that’s a given. No one in the AFC has a shot of beating the Pats this year. I’d be floored.

Ravens, Chiefs, and Bills are the three games that I can see the Pats losing (not ALL three, but possibly one or two...also depends on how healthy the Pats are for each game).  The other six I would put in the "Absolute No Brainer" and "Should Win" categories.

Helps that the Ravens are at home, but the fact that Jackson has never faced a BB D will definitely hurt. 

Mahomes has gotten two good looks at the NE D now, and was able to go on tears after slow starts in both games...the question is can he come out blazing from the start?  And how mobile will he be?  And of course, the big issue is that KC's D is still a bit questionable. 

Bills have already played the Pats very tough in one game, and I'd feel better about their chances if the next game wasn't being played in NE. 

I'm not looking at any of these three matchups and thinking "That's a loss", but I won't be floored if that Pats lost one or two of them.  And like I said, so instead of 16-0, they finish 14-2 or 15-1.  They'll still have home field throughout.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 7:49 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I know you’re a fatalist for some reason with the Pats, but they aren’t going to lose a game this year, I can reasonably assure you. The only team in the league that has a puncher’s chance against them in the SB is New Orleans. I honestly think that’s the goal, too- going undefeated wire to wire. Brady and Belichick haven’t forgotten how they pissed away that opportunity,  the one achievement that has eluded them. They’re on a mission. 

Still think I’m a fatalist?  Like I said, really REALLY tough to go 16-0.  I knew this was going to be a tough game...ain’t over yet obviously, but they’ve got their work cut for them tonight.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ravens should be plenty furious with themselves right now.  Had complete control of this game and really hurt themselves with a couple of gaffes.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Still think I’m a fatalist?  Like I said, really REALLY tough to go 16-0.  I knew this was going to be a tough game...ain’t over yet obviously, but they’ve got their work cut for them tonight.  

You said it though- Baltimore should be pissed this is even a game right now. They missed an opportunity to blow it open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You said it though- Baltimore should be pissed this is even a game right now. They missed an opportunity to blow it open.

The fair catch muff was the real sin.  Game really changed on that mistake.  Ravens can obviously still get it done, but now they will have to work a lot harder for it.  
 

Almost like they might have gotten too comfortable too early.  Lost focus just enough.  They had their shot to step on the Pats’ necks.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit to the Ravens’ D...stiffened up when they had to (keeping the Pats out of the end zone in key moments, etc).  Not over yet, but in the 4th they’ve kept the Pats from taking over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Pats’ D looked a hell of a lot more pedestrian against a varsity offense.  A lot of stops that needed to be made simply weren’t.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit I didn't see Jackson doing that to NE. Even at home...Belichick usually finds a way to snuff out these hotshot young QB's. Though to be fair Jackson didn't really smoke em through the air, but on the ground he + Ingram + Edwards really hurt them. Ravens rushed for 200+ yards. Hard to lose when you do that (though the Jets have of course) That Edelman fumble was an absolute game killer. Generally NE does not do that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Pats were off just enough and the Ravens dominated early and got it going again in the 4th.  Like I hinted at before, Ravens rightly would have been furious with themselves had they lost. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is absurd wow. And how many American NFL players would be onboard with that? To half to spend so much time in the UK with insane travel? Where would training camps be? What would they be paid in? Dollars? Pounds?

San Diego...just bring them back already. This is an embarrassment for the league. They muscled in on a city that doesn't want them that despite its size...is not the best football market as it is

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 2:33 PM, '7' said:

It's amazing looking at the 2018 QB class. Rosen is in career limbo right now it seems. The NFL kicked him to the curb quickly. Darnold has been up and down and REALLY down last night. Also not protected at all. Mayfield taking a major step back this season and getting in trouble with his Rex Ryan mouth. Josh Allen looks competent. The turnovers remain but he's getting the job done for the most part.

Jackson has looked very good though QB's like he is tend to get figured out, he's on the best and most stable franchise

Mason Rudolph...tiny sample size but he's looked like a pro. Total afterthought for 2018

Rosen is an interesting case.  He's shown flashes thus far, but now he'll likely be on the bench the rest of the year which at least means he's not getting the crap kicked out of him and learning bad habits as a result.  The Dolphins very clearly have their eyes set on Tua but if they don't end up with him in this draft for whatever reason, I think the idea is to have Rosen compete for the starting job next year but this time with a revamped offensive line which the front office has made very clear will be a priority in the draft and in free agency.  If they get Tua, they have a cheap back up QB that maybe becomes a Jimmy Garroppolo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.