NJDevs Survival Football - Week 13... We're all dead. DD56 and Big Blue Co-Champs!

aylbert

We're back to another year of Survival Football...   Pick 1 team a week to win and you survive!
Two strikes and you're out.  You know the drill.

DEADLINE IS 5 MINUTES BEFORE THE FIRST FIRST SUNDAY GAME...  
Yahoo only allows for 5 minutes before first game of week (Thursday)  or 5 minutes before first Sunday game...   so if you slack and miss the Sunday cutoff...   you get a strike.

Edited by aylbert

• 2 weeks later...

Week 1 Recap...    The Browns will be great this year... oh... right.

So the outcomes for the picks are already known... so let's just recap that now, and I'll maybe be more productive tomorrow at work.    Nahh, I'll be busy reading and debating conspiracy theories on Antonio Brown.   Also, CONGRATS! we all made picks in week 1...

8 participants survived unharmed... barely.

Big Blue, DD56, Eaglejelly, NJDevs4978, along with 27% of Yahoo, went with the Seahawks,  who narrowly defeated the Bengals 21-20.

Henriqued went with the Eagles (18.65%) who were rusty, but turned it on the second half to beat the Redskins 32-27

Dynamo Nation went with the Ravens (15.97%) who just embarrassed the Dolphins 59-10.  Lamar Jackson was just perfect (158.3).

Masked Mayhem went with the Chargers (11.07%) who needed OT to beat the Luck-less Colts, 30-24
and lastly Aylbert went with the least popular pick of our group, the Cowboys (4.66%), who beat the Giants 35-17...  Dak was also perfect (158.3).   That's hopefully the last time the Cowboys win...  go Birds.

So while 5 almost took a strike... only one did....  as Jarek's Peerless Pick Set went with the 2nd least popular pick, the Browns (5.85%), and was not rewarded for the risk as they LOST 43-13.

But... we all get two strikes; so we all were moving on anyway to Week 2...   Jarek needs to be flawless going forward.

Week 2: Ravens aplenty, and we all survive before sunset

Dynamo Nation and Masked Mayhem went with Pats (33.69% of Yahoo), who shut out the Dolphins in an NFL/CFL exhibition match?, 43-0

Aylbert, Big Blue, DD56, Eaglejelly and NJDevs4978, along with 21.59% of Yahoo, went with the Ravens, who defeated the Cardinals 23-17.

Henriqued went with the Texans (14.42%), who narrowly beat the Jaguars, 13-12

Jerek's Peerless Pick Set went with the riskiest pick despite sitting with a strike...   but the Cowboys (4.7%) beat the Redskins, 31-21

On to week 3!

Week 3 Recap: The gang takes shelter in Jerry World

NJDevs4978, Masked Mayhem, Eaglejlly, Dynamo Nation, DD56, Big Blue (and 66.13%! of Yahoo) went with the Cowboys who rolled the Dolphins, 31-6.

Jerek's Peerless Pick Set went with Patriots (7.89%) who defeated the Jets, 30-14

Aylbert went with the Bills (2.77%) who narrowly defeated the Bengals  21-17

It wasn't all W's though...  as Henriqued took his first strike as he went with the Seahawks (1.51%)  who lost to the Brees-less Saints 33-27.

As this is a two strike league, all move on...   Jerek's Peerless Pick Set (Browns) and Henriqued (Seahawks) each have a strike.

Bring on Week 4!

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Anyone that took someone other than the Patriots or Cowboys last week was being too risky and contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

I disagree,  obviously.   I always avoid the clear favorite and I save top tier teams for later in the season.

At work 14 of 19 (1 went out week1) people went with the Cowboys...  and two of them couldn’t because they used them already.

I mean the chance for an upset was close to zero...  but if Dak got injured?  Who knows.

Edited by aylbert

I was gonna go with the Pats but decided on Dallas since the Pats have another home gimme against the Fish later this year. I don’t really believe in saving teams per se though cause you never know when injuries become a factor later in the season. Plus honestly in Dallas’s case there aren’t too many other weeks I’d overtly trust them, particularly division games. Even the Redskins aren’t a gimme for them considering the rivalry.

The Fish (and maybe Jets at this rate) are gonna keep a lot of suicide pools going this year :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I was gonna go with the Pats but decided on Dallas since the Pats have another home gimme against the Fish later this year. I don’t really believe in saving teams per se though cause you never know when injuries become a factor later in the season. Plus honestly in Dallas’s case there aren’t too many other weeks I’d overtly trust them, particularly division games. Even the Redskins aren’t a gimme for them considering the rivalry.

The Fish (and maybe Jets at this rate) are gonna keep a lot of suicide pools going this year :P

To be fair, I went with the Cowboys week 1 here... so they weren't an option for me.   
It will be interesting to see how bad both of those teams can be... and what happens when they inevitably pull out an unexpected win despite their best efforts to lose.

Week 4: Live or die, Los Angeles

So I believe this is the first time ever that our pool has all selected the same city...   of course, that's because the Rams and Chargers each had cake opponents; so moving on...   oh wait.

Henriqued, NJDevs4978, Masked Mayhem, Eaglejelly, Dynamo Nation and some rather large percentage of Yahoo went with the Rams over the Bucs;   but the Rams lost in a shootout 55-40.   That Chris Godwin is pretty good, even as game time decision.
This unfortunately marks the end of the road for Henriqued; who took his first strike in Week 3 with the Seahawks loss to the Saints.

The other four,  Aylbert, Big Blue, DD56 and Jerek's Peerless Pick Set went with the Chargers who beat up the Dolphins 30-10.   It was 10-10 for a little bit, so I guess if the Dolphins want to count that as a win... 

REMINDER: YOU CAN NOT SELECT THE BYE WEEK TO BEAT THE DOLPHINS THIS WEEK!   ON TO WEEK 5!

Edited by aylbert

Week 5: Fly Eagles Fly

With the Dolphins on bye...   Big Blue, DD56, Dynamo Nation, Eaglejelly and NJDevs4978 along with a staggering 49.69% of Yahoo went with the Eagles who defeated the Jets, 31-6.

Jarek's Peerless Pick Set went with the Bills (0.43%), who came from behind in the 4th to beat the Vikings, 27-23.
Masked Mayhem went with the Ravens (0.78%), who also came from behind in the 4th to tie, and then win in OT against the Steelers, 26-3.
Meanwhile Aylbert went with the Bears (5.38%)....  who over came a 17-0 first half, to take the 21-17 lead in the third...   only to give up the lead in the 4th quarter, 24-21...  and getting his first strike.

We're down to Big Blue and DD56 as the only players with a safety net.

Seeya in Week 6!

Edited by aylbert

• 2 weeks later...

Week 6: Jerek vs Masked showdown, Aylbert wears that dunce cap.

Big Blue, DD56, Eaglejelly and NJDevs4978 went with the Patriots, who beat up the Giants, 35-14.  But we all know that was pass interference. 
Dynamo Nation went with the Packers who squeaked by the Lions, 23-22.

Jerek's Peerless Pick Set went the Saints over the Jaguars,  Masked went with the Jaguars over the Saints...  and in the end, the Saints won 13-6.  Which was Mask's second strike, and he is out.
Aylbert missed his pick.  I'm a loser like that...   and that's my second strike as well, and also out.

We now have three players dead, 4 with a strike... and two perfect (Big Blue and DD56).

Seeya in Week 7, after I make my pick....  ohhhh, right.

Week 7: You can't go wrong betting against the Dolphins...   well...  almost.

Big Blue, Dynamo Nation, EagleJelly and NJDevs4978 (+67.77% of Yahoo) went with the Bills, who almost choked against the Dolphins, before rallying to win 31-21.
DD56 and Jarek's Peerless Pick Set (+22.9% of Yahoo) went with the 49ers who shutout the Redskins 9-0

On to week 8!

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Dang everyone went for the quick, low-hanging fruit this week.  Onto week 9 :P

What he said.

(The entire field, along with 55.54% of Yahoo went with the Vikings who defeated the Redskins 19-9...)...  on to week...  oh, right, Hasan covered that.   Ha 

• 2 weeks later...

Week 9: Dolphins beats the Jets 26-18... 

So since the Dolphins and Jets squared off against each other...   we were left trying to find who to pick if not X vs Dolphins or Jets.
How did we fare?

Big Blue and (and 40.23% of Yahoo) went with the 49ers, who defeated the Rams 20-7
Dynamo Nation and Jarek's Peerless Pick Set (18.74%)
DD56 went with the Bills (16.28%) who  beat up on the Redskins 24-9

Sadly, NJDevs4978 went with the Packers, but they feel short to the Chargers, 26-11.    This was  his second strike (Week 4 Rams loss to Bucs, 55-40) and he is now eliminated. 

We are now at 5 alive (3 with strikes), 4 dead.   Seeya in Week 10!

Week 10: The Losers' Club

So like Hasan said, nobody picked right this week, that's a first.

Big Blue and Eaglejelly whent with the Saints (49.63% of Yahoo), who wound up losing to the lowly Falcons, 26-9.  It was Eaglejelly's second wrong pick (Week 4- Rams), and he is now out.
DD56 and and Dynamo Nation were with the Colts (35.36%)...  who uhmm, lost to 2-7 Dolphins.  Queue Major League...  "We won a game [last week],  [we won] one today that's two in a row. If we win one tomorrow that's called a winning streak."     That was Dynamo Nation's second strike as well (Week 4- Rams)... so he's out of here as well.

That leaves us with Jerek's Peerless Pick Set...   he went with the Chiefs vs the Titans...  who pulled off the upset in the 4th quarter, 35-32.     That was his second strike too (Week 1- Browns)...  so he's gone as well. 

The stage is set... it's Big Blue vs DD56, each with no safety net.  
Seeya guys for Week 11.

Edited by aylbert

• 2 weeks later...

Week 12: Sticking with the Bengals, both move on.
Both DD56 and Big Blue went with the team facing the Bengals again, and the Steelers need the 4th quarter to do it, narrowly beating the Bengals 16-10.
On to week 13.

Reminder: If both lose in the same week, we end in a tie.

Week 13: Bet on a loser, be a Champion loser.
This week the both DD56 and Big Blue and 54.06% of Yahoo went with the 5-6 Panthers over the 2-9 Redskins.  The Redskins overcame a 14-3 first quarter deficit, to rally to a 29-21 final.
As such, both DD56 and Big Blue took their second strikes, but that also wraps up our season and we wind up with co-champions!

Congrats!