NJDevs 2019-20 FHL - Dynamo Nation (redruM) Wins!

aylbert

Welcome to the NJDevs 2019-20 FHL!     

Invites have been sent out the other week, and the draft date has been set for Tues Sep 24 8:00pm. All rosters are current with only eligible keepers remaining (Thanks to Hasan for the legwork last year). The keeper deadline is Mon Sep 23 3:00am.  You may keep up to 3 players in place of your round 21, 22 and 23 picks.   Unfortunately, Yahoo does not support keeper tools on its mobile app.    You will need to do it on a PC or using your phones web browser (not the Yahoo Sports App).   

I’d like to thank Hasan (NJDevs4978) for his strong leadership that has kept this forum league going since 2002.   His commissioner efforts were only topped by his own steady hand as a GM – winning titles in 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010 and 2016…  while impressively finishing 2nd in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.   It feels almost silly mentioning that he took third in 2007.  

It is an honor to follow in his footsteps; and I hope that he has a change of heart and decides to return in an upcoming season, but he has certainly earned his time away.   Even knowing he was on his way out, he left a terrific franchise available that features 2 first round picks, 2 16ths… at a cost of only missing a 14th and 20th.  The franchise also has plenty of terrific keeper candidates like Mark Stone, Ryan O’Reilly, Matt Duchene, Darnell Nurse, Shea Weber among others.      This is a great launching pad for anyone looking to join.

New for 2019!
So with a new Commissioner, comes a new take.  I have taken some time this offseason to really look at the competitive balance of our statistical categories and have made the following changes:

Skater Scoring
Total Points have been removed
In past seasons we rewarded Goals, Assists and Points as three separate and distinct scoring categories.   Counting points lead to over valuing assists; as assists would consistently drive your Points total more than goals due to secondary assists.  Removing it allows you to reward goal scorers and play-makers...   and players who are both, will contribute well to each category still.

PIMs have been added
With points removed, I have added PIMs.   This is one of the counter intuitive categories; as you will be rewarded for taking penalties.     This adds value to the higher scoring agitators who play with an edge.     You can work to blend your roster by targeting players with middling PIMs; or go heavy with an enforcer who won’t put up many points...  but will hopefully add some more hits as well.  Overall, this will expand the player pool as some players who in the past were of little value can start contributing more to your rosters.      There is no other category that Yahoo tracks that would capture this.

These will be the scoring categories this year: 

Goals (G),
Assists (A),
Plus/Minus (+/-),
Penalty Minutes (PIM),
Powerplay Points (PPP),
Shorthanded Points (SHP),
Game-Winning Goals (GWG),
Faceoffs Won (FW),
Hits (HIT),
Blocks (BLK)

Goalies Scoring
Save% has been removed / Replaced by Total Saves
It’s easier to address this swap under one header.   One of the issues with goaltending in a roto league is that your performance becomes tied to one or two players.   You can ride an elite goalie, and if it’s his year to put up untouchable numbers…   you can play him 60 games and pretty much win goaltending.    

So how does this change help?   We will now be scoring goaltender by  Wins, Saves, GAA and Shutouts.     Wins is a team stat… good teams win.  Shots can vary, but in general, bad teams give up a ton of shots.    Both of these stats are cumulative that build up as you play more.   If you only play 60 games…  you may grab the wins needed, but you’re likely going to trail in saves.     GAA is your standard measurement of a 60 minute game; and shutouts is the wildcard.

These will be the goaltending categories this year:

Wins (W),
Goals Against Average (GAA),
Saves (SV),
Shutouts (SHO)

Trades
Trades will no longer be pushed through at the commissioners discretion immediately.    I will allow the full day to allow any and all grievances and to afford ample time to discuss with the parties to ensure that trades are well intended.   As previously stated, this league has been running since 2002, and as such, some GMs are emotionally invested and do not want to see players simply given away.  At the same time, we will not be implementing any sort of trade value chart that dictates the terms of trades or forcing the use of the trade block, etc.

I want things to be as transparent as possible with decisive decisions made with an even and fair hand.     I would recommend putting feelers out if you are looking to trade away top talent or younger keepers with a lot of promise.    Part of the issue we ran into last year was communication, as GMs thinking they could easily offer more if they only knew the player was on the block.       Let other GMs know, and it’s very possible you might get a better return.    

RFA Keeper
We will be allowing a 4th keeper starting NEXT year.    However, this will be for player who has played no more than 100 games (100 games played = RFA eligible keeper, 101 games = RFA ineligible).   Standard keeping rules apply; so the player would need to have been drafted in the 6th round or later.   This keeper, just as all others, is completely optional and will be at the cost of your last available draft pick.    So you can still trade your 20th round pick and later decide to keep a 4th player if you desire.

Next Steps!!!
Now's the time to review your rosters and figure out your keeper situation.  Trades are permitted; but you can only trade this years draft picks and pick counts must be even.     Remember, you can only keep 3 players and they must be from Round 6 or later.

This is also the time to argue against rule changes or offer your own.  I really believe the changes will help balance out rosters more, and I feel the RFA add will give us something new to mix things up a bit more, and to give some keeper picks time to grow.

We will need to do a head count to make sure everybody is returning besides NJDevs4978...  and fill in those rosters where needed.

I'm looking forward to a fantastic 2019-20 Season!

Thanks for making it through my first update :)

Draft Order Selection

1    Zamboni Warriors  - krunko7   --> #1
2    Hard Dump - devlman --> #14
3    Zajac-ing Off - Devilsfan118 --> #2
4    Palm on and SLAM - Ralliart90 --> #3
5    NeoThrashers - MantaRay --> #4
6    Nicoise Salad - Pacific Devil --> #13
7    Miles Wood Fightclub - NQDevil --> #5
8    Dynamo Nation - redruM
 --> #11
9    Squirtle Squad - Henriqued --> #12
10  Eaglejelly - Eaglejelly --> #6
11  Sworn Defenders - Aylbert --> #10
12  NJDefenders - NJDEVS1730 —> #9
13  One More Tank - LOTCB —> #7
14  Wolverines!!! - DevilMinder—> #8

Edited by aylbert
  • Like 1

Welcome aylbert! And thanks for stepping up into the commissioner spot. Very big shoes to fill but looks like the league will be in great hands going forward.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned is the draft order. Last season we allowed the teams, in order of first to last, to pick their draft slot. I think that was a great incentive for managers to stay engaged the whole year and not check out and tank when they’re out of it by Xmas. That would be another piece of information needed from managers. Count me in for the season!

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Welcome aylbert! And thanks for stepping up into the commissioner spot. Very big shoes to fill but looks like the league will be in great hands going forward.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned is the draft order. Last season we allowed the teams, in order of first to last, to pick their draft slot. I think that was a great incentive for managers to stay engaged the whole year and not check out and tank when they’re out of it by Xmas. That would be another piece of information needed from managers. Count me in for the season!

Yep, that is unchanged from last year.   My post above was summarizing the changes I'm looking to implement.
Draft order "slot" will be in order of finish last season.

We will get that taken care of pretty soon once we confirm who is returning, etc. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, looking forward to another fun season!
My only issue with the rules is the PIMs scoring. I see no reason to reward a negative statistic. I get why we don’t want points anymore, but I don’t think they need to be replaced by another statistic if it doesn’t make sense. I’d say if we remove points, we’ll get rid of rewarding goals and assists twice and that’s enough change for now, unless there is a stat that makes more sense to add. Just my 2 sense. The hits category already rewards good enforcers, we shouldn’t reward cheaters of the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely separate topic, I’ll definitely be taking the first pick again this year!

With the way my keepers lined up, I’ll be loaded at center up front. I am always open to trades, so if you have a winger eligible keeper you’re looking to deal for Matthews/Zibanejad send me a trade offer. You’re going to have to blow me away tho for matthews. Or if you want Mcdavid, send me an offer for the first overall!

So happy to finally be talking fantasy hockey!

1 hour ago, krunko7 said:

My only issue with the rules is the PIMs scoring. I see no reason to reward a negative statistic.
The hits category already rewards good enforcers, we shouldn’t reward cheaters of the game

I expected the Points to be accepted without issue... 

For PIMs, I totally get the hesitation there.   But if you look at the top PIM players; you're getting a certain player.
Rewarding PIMs gives extra value to Evander Kane, Ian Cole, Zack Kassian, Wayne Simmonds...  even Brad Marchand and Evgeni Malkin.    That grit and toughness you want on your team.

In addition, you can see it adds a few other players who are legitimate NHL players that currently we tend to exclude from our rosters currently like Miles Wood, Kyle Clifford, Brendan Lemieux.
I think utilization all players from the NHL for their roles is more reflective;  with that wild card factor with fights and game misconducts when you're defending star players.

PIMs is the only additional category we can as we already have hits/blocks...  both are more subjective to the arena counting them and blocks are heavily a defense stat.

Any of these changes are open for debate.  Nothing is set in stone just yet; but it's the direction I think is worthwhile to go in.    If there is significant pushback, I get it and we can work things out.

image.thumb.png.2d1ebf8539976f3eec4c7545f6874ff0.png

Edited by aylbert

My keepers are set as Draisaitl, Aho and Eichel.   It's not even a question.

Matt Murray is the odd man out... goaltenders tend to be odd.    As such, he can be had cheap. 
Looking for 10th rounder to swap for a 15th.

4 hours ago, krunko7 said:

Completely separate topic, I’ll definitely be taking the first pick again this year!

With the way my keepers lined up, I’ll be loaded at center up front. I am always open to trades, so if you have a winger eligible keeper you’re looking to deal for Matthews/Zibanejad send me a trade offer. You’re going to have to blow me away tho for matthews. Or if you want Mcdavid, send me an offer for the first overall!

So happy to finally be talking fantasy hockey!

Sounds like you’re inline for another strong season. Keep in mind that choosing first overall means choosing last in the sixth round when keeper eligible players get drafted (and the commish has proposed a fourth keeper starting next season). I’m sure you don’t care tho as you’re getting mcjesus lol

4 hours ago, krunko7 said:

Hey guys, looking forward to another fun season!
My only issue with the rules is the PIMs scoring. I see no reason to reward a negative statistic. I get why we don’t want points anymore, but I don’t think they need to be replaced by another statistic if it doesn’t make sense. I’d say if we remove points, we’ll get rid of rewarding goals and assists twice and that’s enough change for now, unless there is a stat that makes more sense to add. Just my 2 sense. The hits category already rewards good enforcers, we shouldn’t reward cheaters of the game

I agree re PIMS

Big props to the new commish for stepping in here and taking the reins. 

I can take or leave PIMs - I think it adds an interesting dynamic but I can see why people would get upset about it.  If it comes to a vote I'll think more about it and cast it one way or the other but it's certainly not a deal-breaker type thing for me.

Keepers will be Marchand, Barkov* and one of either Price or Hellebuyck.  Willing to move one of those goalies if someone's interesting in adopting a goalie keeper.  

Edited by Devilsfan118

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Big props to the new commish for stepping in here and taking the reins. 

I can take or leave PIMs - I think it adds an interesting dynamic but I can see why people would get upset about it.  If it comes to a vote I'll think more about it and cast it one way or the other but it's certainly not a deal-breaker type thing for me.

Keepers will be Marchand, Eichel and one of either Price or Helleybuck.  Willing to move one of those goalies if someone's interesting in adopting a goalie keeper.  

Eichel is a great keeper; but he's mine.  :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redruM said:

I hate hate hate PIMs as a category 

I understand it helps some tough players, it also helps dirty players (Marchand) which I’m completely against. & it hurts good clean players who never take penalties 

Dirty players are dirty when they aren't on your team.     They effect the mentality of the game...  you play annoyed, you make mistakes.      Think back to old Devils that people in the league would cry foul on...  Scott Stevens routinely was in the higher 100s, even eclipsing 200s.  Same deal with Randy McKay, Claude Lemieux... even Cam Janssen.

I'd really like a way to appreciate the grit, and hits doesnt always do that.

BTW thanks for taking over this league, easily my favorite league all year, without this league hockey season would not b the same.

& props to Has , I forgot how good his team is every year 

not sure on keepers yet as PIMS & position changes 🤬might affect that 

1 minute ago, redruM said:

BTW thanks for taking over this league, easily my favorite league all year, without this league hockey season would not b the same.

& props to Has , I forgot how good his team is every year 

not sure on keepers yet as PIMS & position changes 🤬might affect that 

This league, given it's scope, keeps me involved with all the teams and their up and coming players that I would otherwise overlook if I was just following the Devils; or doing a standard league where you don't touch 3rd liners.

Also if your team doesn’t have any viable keepers but you want to make an offer for someone on my team, I’d consider the following:
- Zibanejad can be had for a 4th/5th or similar ranked winger
- Giordano can be had for a 6th or similar ranked winger
Rest of my team can be had for mid round picks if you are in a dire need.

My keepers are pretty obvious (Mackinnon, Matthews, Zib) but I’m always open to offers so don’t hesitate to send them my way

21 hours ago, devlman said:

Sounds like you’re inline for another strong season. Keep in mind that choosing first overall means choosing last in the sixth round when keeper eligible players get drafted (and the commish has proposed a fourth keeper starting next season). I’m sure you don’t care tho as you’re getting mcjesus lol

I agree re PIMS

You're up btw to pick your draft slot.

If anybody is interested in joining please let me know.     As long as they are forum members they can join.

One team will get to slide in favorably as a replacement GM.   Likely a lottery pick.

Any additional teams will be an expansion team and we will modify keepers a bit...  just moving the deadline sooner and letting the new teams pick from the discarded pool of players drafted later than the 6th round.
They will also slot last in the draft order selection for each round.

10 minutes ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

Looking forward to another awesome year! My keepers are set as DeBrincat, Jones, and Gibson. Open to trades for any of my other guys. 

Did you check them off on the Yahoo page?  I don't believe I will see them until I finalize keepers.

Edited by aylbert