NJDevs 2019-20 FHL - Dynamo Nation (redruM) Wins!

aylbert

1 hour ago, NQDevil said:

Pretty happy with my first season so far.

Main surprise is no one wanting Mark Stone!

Thought Heiskanen was going to be a steal and ended up being a lead weight. Svechnikov and Barzal are two exciting keepers though.

There are a lot of interesting keepers floating around...   I think we'll see some movement pre-draft.

44 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm honestly just disgusted with my duo of Rinne and Price.  I thought I'd have top of the league locked up with those two after the draft.  

I've gotten lucky with shutouts, granted.  But Wins, Saves, and GAA are killing me.  Ah well.

You had to feel Rinne was due for old age decline at some point. Saros was also ready for more time. Price and the Habs are very unreliable. 

I actually had the second overall pick but dropped to the end of round so I can draft two elite goalies back to back in Bishop and Vasy. Gamble hasn’t paid off though and I’m not sure why.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

I think it makes perfect sense considering saves and wins. Goalie categories are half the battle and to have two mitigates risk. Now, to spend your first two picks on them is debatable. I’ve never done that before but wanted to try it out because I felt this year the depth of quality goalies in the league wasn’t great.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, devlman said:

You had to feel Rinne was due for old age decline at some point. Saros was also ready for more time. Price and the Habs are very unreliable. 

I actually had the second overall pick but dropped to the end of round so I can draft two elite goalies back to back in Bishop and Vasy. Gamble hasn’t paid off though and I’m not sure why.

Yeahh you're right about Rinne, I just hoped the Preds had one more elite year in them. I didn't foresee the team sucking and then bringing in the lizardman.

The Habs were a tossup but since Price was a keeper I was more or less stuck hoping they looked better than average.

The real bitch is I believe I could've selected Rask instead of Rinne. That one stings.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:13 PM, redruM said:

IMHO to have 2 elite goalies makes no sense, especially taking 2 early in the draft, you only have 82 G games , why waste 2 high picks When at best you are wasting 1/2 their production ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure there are only 82 games, but I've had entire seasons wasted when my primary starter gets hurt. 50 potential points is nothing to sniff at.

Goalie depth in our league isn't great, either, as devlman mentioned.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

Goalie depth in our league isn't great, either, as devlman mentioned.

I don't find that to be true.   We overpay for reliable goalies much like we overpay for QBs in fantasy football, but there are always good options to plug in late and to pivot until you find one that works for the season.
Like this year I went with Lunqvist in the 13th (didnt work) and Darcy Kuemper in the 15th, which did.    And I picked up Varlamov (who was drafted in the 11th but dropped) and Karpisalo. 

I'm not league leading, but top third or so... even with 9 games behind target (which matters for saves, wins and shutouts).

Without a doubt goaltenders have an outsized impact on the standings as 82 games controls 4 categories...   whereas 1476 games control the other 10 categories.
Percentage wise that's 94.7% of games for 71.4% of the points (forwards/def) and 5.3% of games for the other 27.6% of points (goalies)

So if you overpay successfully for anything, overpay for a goalie.

8 hours ago, aylbert said:

I don't find that to be true.   We overpay for reliable goalies much like we overpay for QBs in fantasy football, but there are always good options to plug in late and to pivot until you find one that works for the season.
Like this year I went with Lunqvist in the 13th (didnt work) and Darcy Kuemper in the 15th, which did.    And I picked up Varlamov (who was drafted in the 11th but dropped) and Karpisalo. 

I'm not league leading, but top third or so... even with 9 games behind target (which matters for saves, wins and shutouts).

Without a doubt goaltenders have an outsized impact on the standings as 82 games controls 4 categories...   whereas 1476 games control the other 10 categories.
Percentage wise that's 94.7% of games for 71.4% of the points (forwards/def) and 5.3% of games for the other 27.6% of points (goalies)

So if you overpay successfully for anything, overpay for a goalie.

It’s worked out for you but let’s be honest, Darcy Kuemper and Varlampv could have easily have gone in the opposition direction and stunk or not even played. It’s a gamble. That’s why picking reliable studs from the get go minimizes the risk.

• Like 1

I had Bobs as a keeper and he has Been a flop all year, I drafted Rittich in like the 12th, & he was great the 1st half of the season & then I picked up Merzlikins & he was the best goalie in the NHL for 6 to 8 weeks
Blackwood also could have been grabbed as a free agent & he has Ben great lately
Same w rags goalie
Grabbing 1 high end goalie early Ior keeping 1 , I get it
But keeping 2 or drafting 2 early or keeping 1 & drafting 1 early IMHO is not a great way to build a team

Right, I think allocating a high pick or a keeper slot is fine...   but you shouldn’t allocate both.

I tend to pick my goalies late...  I grabbed Bob late and then flipped him to Red for Draisaitl.   The trade was one for one.

Then I did lock up Murray with a keeper pick because I was lacking elite options to hold on to.     Now I have 3 elite keepers, and can really build out my team next season.    I might grab a goalie early, but most likely, I’ll push it off and find the hot goalie.  There will always be a goalie from out of nowhere, and a cant miss goalie that misses.  

Its why I push off goaltending, barring injury, forwards are like WRs in football, they are more consistent, especially the top tier.

Well, I guess our fantasy league final standing is null and void for this season! Works for me!!

Null and void my ass, if the season is over your champ is right here!!!
& if not then I get those extra picks again[emoji6]

Lucky me - guess being way over in games won't kill me after all.

If I have some time over the weekend I'll run some averages and see where I actually stand when compared to the rest of you.  I'll bet I'm no higher than.. 5th.

• Like 1

I will happily keep the title since I won last year if that’s how we need to do it lol

In all seriousness it seems like the regular season is over. I was somehow making a final push so I am upset it’s over but another good season!

I also think if we used the same stat categories as last year then I might’ve won. PIMS and Saves killed me! I’m relatively good in PIMS but it killed my other stats finding lower point guys who get hits and PIMS. And Saves I’m just so far behind in goalie games played I had no chance. Whereas save percentage always kept me in it

Now I have the summer to adjust for it all!

I have 5 great keepers so send me offers if you want one of them: MacKinnon, Matthews, Zibanejad, Miller or Hart.

• 2 months later...

After consideration, I have decided to follow Yahoo's league and to call the FHL season as-is.
I did some calculations to reweigh everybody by points per game played - but it's a little messy and Dynamo Nation still wins...

So, congrats Dynamo Nation on your 2nd title (the first being in 2005)!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...