2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not sure if he gets to 22 goals last season if it wasn't him playing a lot more minutes than he should have due to injuries last year.

I'm not saying he's a perennial 20-25 goal scorer, but he was given an opportunity and he cashed in on it. And like CR76 said, his goals weren't all luck and they weren't all tap-ins from line mates. There's no reason to think he isn't a perfectly good 3rd line and PK guy

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not saying he's a perennial 20-25 goal scorer, but he was given an opportunity and he cashed in on it. And like CR76 said, his goals weren't all luck and they weren't all tap-ins from line mates. There's no reason to think he isn't a perfectly good 3rd line and PK guy

to me Coleman is 100% a lock as a 3rd line guy on most teams in the league. Being in a position where he could be on the 4th is a really good problem

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

According to Luke Fox of Sportsnet there's actually rumours of calgary targeting Coleman in return of TJ Brodie.

Thoughts?

Not without an extension, it’s not worth it for one season (maybe less if we are out of contention and he gets moved at the deadline). 

Otherwise, I like Coleman and his energy a lot, but if that was one for one with Brodie signed to an extension, I don’t see how you say no. 

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think you’re getting a little carried away...lol

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah wait, which one is Coleman? Mike Bossy??

Right -  obviously that's a huge exaggeration, but that just emphasizes the point.  None of the guys on our team are like any of those players I mentioned, and if none of those guys on the 4th line would be a waste, then surely having someone like Coleman or Zacha on the 4th line would be a waste either.  

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

to me Coleman is 100% a lock as a 3rd line guy on most teams in the league. Being in a position where he could be on the 4th is a really good problem

Absolutely agreed.

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Gretzky isn't going to play as a wing for Lemieux. 

I'm sure I got all of those line combinations wrong, I was just trying to throw out some perennial names.  I actually forget/have no idea what particular forward position (C, RW, or LW) any of those guys played.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm sure I got all of those line combinations wrong, I was just trying to throw out some perennial names.  I actually forget/have no idea what particular forward position (C, RW, or LW) any of those guys played.

You...forgot Wayne Gretzky was a center??

That's like thinking Tom Brady is a kicker.

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You...forgot Wayne Gretzky was a center??

That's like thinking Tom Brady is a kicker.

No, not remembering if Gretzky was a wing or a center would be like not remembering if Deion Sanders was a cornerback or a safety.  He's a defensive player, I couldn't care less if he was a corner or a safety (yes, I know he was a corner). 

Also, I never really liked Gretzky, so that's also why I never really bothered to commit to memory what position he was.  To me, he was an annoying forward who scored a lot of goals.  That's all 😛 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

No, not remembering if Gretzky was a wing or a center would be like not remembering if Deion Sanders was a cornerback or a safety. 

If Deion was the best player in the history of football, and had his number retired league wide, and held most of the records for his position, and was the most well known (maybe the ONLY well known ) personality in his sport for half his career, then yes, it would be exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If Deion was the best player in the history of football, and had his number retired league wide, and held most of the records for his position, and was the most well known (maybe the ONLY well known ) personality in his sport for half his career, then yes, it would be exactly the same. 

I hear you.  For me, remembering if he was a C or LW/RW is akin to knowing whether he has blue eyes or brown eyes - I just don't care lol.  

Also, for the record, Deion is quite possibly the best player ever at his position, is still known around the league/media, has a nickname like Wayne (read: The Great One and Primetime), etc. ;)

Edited by NJDfan1711

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still hate this. He did nothing for the Devils and he doesn't deserve to have any respects from our team. Retired numbers should be a team only thing. 

It's more about what he did for the league and the game. He was the first mainstream NHLer. And he was instrumental in league expansion. I don't think asking teams not to use a number that only a few people wore anyway is a big deal

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

which is why I wouldn't be so quick to want to move him, as rumors have it we could be thinking about it

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

It's more about what he did for the league and the game. He was the first mainstream NHLer. And he was instrumental in league expansion. I don't think asking teams not to use a number that only a few people wore anyway is a big deal

I think the only other #99 in NHL history was Wilf Paiement, as a Maple Leaf (early 80s)...there was even a commercial up in Canada that promised that #99 would be appearing, only to have Paiement come out and say "What, you were expecting some other #99?" 

But yeah, Gretzky was obviously fvcking legendary and then some.  I have no issue with #99 being retired league-wide.

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s probably a key point. Would it still have happened if he wore 4 or 9 or something really common? 

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I get it and it's not something I think is a big deal, just more of an annoyance.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still hate this. He did nothing for the Devils and he doesn't deserve to have any respects from our team. Retired numbers should be a team only thing. 

Agreed. Maybe MLB retiring Jackie Robinson's number made more sense. I mean, people can't even remember what position Gretzky played, why retire his number league wide??

;) 

Really impressed by our young squad. McLeod, Maltsev, Bastian and Seney are looking good or even more for our bottom six. Boqvist looks capable for top 6. And we have only one-two  spots for next year if Simmonds will go away. And only one spot for this year.