2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

Season is starting in 3 days.  Saw a prediction article on Yahoo for all teams and they had Devs at 24.  Now granted it’s on yahoo so I should not read much into it but that’s pretty disconcerting with the offseason they had.  They had the Rangers at 14, messed up.  Any way, not sure how I should be feeling at this moment.  Wish I had an accurate prediction of how they’ll be this year.  To me I def feel they needed at least another solid d-man.

Help me out here, how should I be feeling going into the season?  I don’t want these high hopes not to come to fruition, then again I’m sure everyone would feel the same.

Anything they can do prior to Friday that will give me just a bit more confidence?  I know I’m stretching here but I just want a freaking playoff appearance, is that too much to ask for?  Why the hell are the rags predicted at 14 according to that article?

I wanted a lot more uncontrolled excitement going into Friday but something internally is keeping me at bay and I hate that.  No, I don’t need to take a dump if someone was going to suggest that.  Am I the only one feeling like this right now?  Is anyone going into Friday with what they feel is way too much optimism but just letting that play out?  Or do most of you have some strong concerns?  Sorry for the “on-going what feels like a rant”.

23 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I dunno, you can throw your pissed soaked sheets into the washer without much prep unlike the other sh!tty scenario.

Right. Its better, but its not something to be happy about. That was exactly my point. 

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Quite simple, our goalies play will we are a playoff team. Our goalies are dung again, we miss the postseason.

So, unfortunately it's a wait and see mode right now.

Having more than 2 guys score 20 goals might help also. 

33 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I haven't heard anything about Smith's family being good at anything that would make his pedigree relevant. You could argue it would be based on his performance outside of this specific camp. That would be fair considering if there was a scenario where Hughes had happened to have a bad camp people would still want to see him get the 9 games as opposed to whatever the alternative would be based on performances/achievements elsewhere.

Sorry, not his literal genealogical pedigree, but his history as a 1st round pick, his domination of the WHL, and the org's top d prospect.

17 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Season is starting in 3 days.  Saw a prediction article on Yahoo for all teams and they had Devs at 24.  Now granted it’s on yahoo so I should not read much into it but that’s pretty disconcerting with the offseason they had.  They had the Rangers at 14, messed up.  Any way, not sure how I should be feeling at this moment.  Wish I had an accurate prediction of how they’ll be this year.  To me I def feel they needed at least another solid d-man.

Help me out here, how should I be feeling going into the season?  I don’t want these high hopes not to come to fruition, then again I’m sure everyone would feel the same.

Anything they can do prior to Friday that will give me just a bit more confidence?  I know I’m stretching here but I just want a freaking playoff appearance, is that too much to ask for?  Why the hell are the rags predicted at 14 according to that article?

I wanted a lot more uncontrolled excitement going into Friday but something internally is keeping me at bay and I hate that.  No, I don’t need to take a dump if someone was going to suggest that.  Am I the only one feeling like this right now?  Is anyone going into Friday with what they feel is way too much optimism but just letting that play out?  Or do most of you have some strong concerns?  Sorry for the “on-going what feels like a rant”.

You should be optimistic, the Devils aren't going to be bad if they're healthy. Yahoo idiocy aside though, every team in the Metro division, save for maybe Columbus, is looking like they can compete for a playoff spot. So the Devils just being good on paper isn't enough, they'll have to execute, as Hall has pointed out.

We know there's questions in net - this is perhaps the difference between the Devils making the playoffs and not. Cory looks good thus far, that's good news.

Aside from that, the next question for me, is goals. The Devils have plenty of playmaking ability - an abundance of it actually and such is where the Devils are building the most excitement surrounding the team. Gusev and Hughes are both new additions with elite passing ability. Hischier is looking at a breakout year in the middle, and Hall is one of the NHLs top playmakers already. Bratt, Boqvist, Subban, Severson, etc...there's plenty of passing to go around. The bigger question on offense for the Devils is, who is going to score? Palmieri needs to be the goal producer we know he can be. Hopefully Hall can come near 40 goals. After that it's a big question mark. Can Simmonds add 20 goals still? How many will Coleman put in the net? Is Miles Wood going to take a step forward? The Devils ability to execute here is a question mark.

Then of course, the Devils aren't exactly a juggernaut on the defensive side of the puck. But if Subban finds his form and Severson has a breakout year, the Devils will be in really good shape. I have a good feeling about Severson, he's my pick to really take a step forward this year.

Given that we haven't seen this team play yet, I understand writers putting the Devils in the middle of the pack in power rankings, though, 24 is a few spots too low for me. I think a tad more than half of the NHL.com writers picked the Devils to make the playoffs this year. I think that better represents how hockey people feel about the team right now - we're rightfully seen as a bubble team.

Edited by Neb00rs

27 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You should be optimistic, the Devils aren't going to be bad if they're healthy. Yahoo idiocy aside though, every team in the Metro division, save for maybe Columbus, is looking like they can compete for a playoff spot. So the Devils just being good on paper isn't enough, they'll have to execute, as Hall has pointed out.

We know there's questions in net - this is perhaps the difference between the Devils making the playoffs and not. Cory looks good thus far, that's good news.

Aside from that, the next question for me, is goals. The Devils have plenty of playmaking ability - an abundance of it actually and such is where the Devils are building the most excitement surrounding the team. Gusev and Hughes are both new additions with elite passing ability. Hischier is looking at a breakout year in the middle, and Hall is one of the NHLs top playmakers already. Bratt, Boqvist, Subban, Severson, etc...there's plenty of passing to go around. The bigger question on offense for the Devils is, who is going to score? Palmieri needs to be the goal producer we know he can be. Hopefully Hall can come near 40 goals. After that it's a big question mark. Can Simmonds add 20 goals still? How many will Coleman put in the net? Is Miles Wood going to take a step forward? The Devils ability to execute here is a question mark.

Then of course, the Devils aren't exactly a juggernaut on the defensive side of the puck. But if Subban finds his form and Severson has a breakout year, the Devils will be in really good shape. I have a good feeling about Severson, he's my pick to really take a step forward this year.

Given that we haven't seen this team play yet, I understand writers putting the Devils in the middle of the pack in power rankings, though, 24 is a few spots too low for me. I think a tad more than half of the NHL.com writers picked the Devils to make the playoffs this year. I think that better represents how hockey people feel about the team right now - we're rightfully seen as a bubble team.

Well said.  Can’t say I disagree with anything you stated.  D def concerns me as does goaltending.  Forwards on paper look good but of course, you gotta execute.

Looking back on 17-18, Hall pretty much singlehandedly got them in but it’s not likely he has a repeat performance, although nothing would make me happier, other than a cup of course.  Kinkaid of course came up huge with getting them in but if you compare that team with this one on paper you’d give the edge (or more than an edge) to this one.  Granted again, it’s only on paper but unfortunately paper is all we have to go off on right now.  Shouldn’t the Devs be expected to get in this year since they def have more talent this time around?

I want in the playoffs damn!t, someone grant me that wish, can someone peak into April and see where we are in the standings and get back to me?  In fact, only peak into the beginning of March so this way if it’s not going well that can give me hope that they can turn it around in the last few weeks.

I promise I’m not crazy, just passionate.  My friends keep reminding me that I’m the self-proclaimed greatest Devils fan even though I can be too critical at times.

3 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Shouldn’t the Devs be expected to get in this year since they def have more talent this time around?

Should they? Maybe. But let's not forget all of those games where Cory and KK got lit up like a Christmas tree for like 6-7 goals. Even a vastly improved offensive team will have a hard time scoring 6-7 goals a night. 

Defense was not significantly upgraded outside of PK, who many say his best years are behind him. Goaltending wasn't improved at all. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Should they? Maybe. But let's not forget all of those games where Cory and KK got lit up like a Christmas tree for like 6-7 goals. Even a vastly improved offensive team will have a hard time scoring 6-7 goals a night. 

Defense was not significantly upgraded outside of PK, who many say his best years are behind him. Goaltending wasn't improved at all. 

Schneider isn’t coming off surgery and is healthy to start the year, and Blackwood looked quite good once he came up last season.  Not saying the goaltending is a sure thing, but I feel like it’s not as much of a question mark as it was last season.  The potential for it to be better definitely exists.  

And we CAN forget KK’s poorer stretches, because he’s no longer on the Devils.

At this point the Devils have submitted their 23-man roster and as far as we know no trade has been made. Process of elimination dictates that either Ty Smith or Jesper Boqvist has been sent back. The team is traveling back from Annapolis right now, so I imagine that's why they haven't announced anything yet.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schneider isn’t coming off surgery and is healthy to start the year, and Blackwood looked quite good once he came up last season.  Not saying the goaltending is a sure thing, but I feel like it’s not as much of a question mark as it was last season.  The potential for it to be better definitely exists.  

And we CAN forget KK’s poorer stretches, because he’s no longer on the Devils.

Time will tell, I’m optimistic about it. 

Ty may be disappointed, but he shouldn’t be surprised.  

And a hearty congrats to Boqvist!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

We got a bit greedy as a fanbase in terms of expectations once the offseason started going our way with winning the lottery and then getting PK Subban for beans. Not everything was going to go perfectly and yet it almost did. We should be happy that one of Smith/Boqvist was good enough to make the team. From the minute Boqvist hit the ice in rookie camp, it was clear he was on a different level. There's going to be regular instances this season of some combination of Boqvist, Hall, Hughes, Hischier, and Bratt on the ice at the same time and damn those lines are going to be fast.

As far as I’m concerned, to play in this league as an 18-19 year old, it’s not enough to be average, you have to be phenomenal. You have to come into camp knowing that you are not guaranteed a spot, and you have to take it. 

Jack Hughes did it. Nico did it before him. Ty Smith did not. I hope he is mad, I hope he has that kind of fire and he comes into camp next year with a huge chip on his shoulder and he shows us all that he does belong. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As far as I’m concerned, to play in this league as an 18-19 year old, it’s not enough to be average, you have to be phenomenal. You have to come into camp knowing that you are not guaranteed a spot, and you have to take it. 

Jack Hughes did it. Nico did it before him. Ty Smith did not. I hope he is mad, I hope he has that kind of fire and he comes into camp next year with a huge chip on his shoulder and he shows us all that he does belong. 

I thought he did show it last year, but definitely not this year, which is why it's so disappointing. I though he might get the 9 games, but I get the decision. I'll be following him closely in Spokane and during the WJC. 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

This is surely true for 19 year-old defensemen. This was the kind of camp where every new player had to perform above and beyond to earn a spot. Smith didn't get there. Actually, for part of camp, he kind of sucked. I do agree with @MadDog2020, he should be mad at himself, because he was supposedly mad last year when he was cut and to come back showing little improvement is not a good look. Of course, the addition of PK Subban was also a factor that pushed Smith out of a spot, especially because there was no longer a place for him on the PP, the one area he is currently useful. I hope the Devils development coaches keep a close eye on Ty in Spokane this year to make sure he makes the improvements necessary to make the team next year.

• Like 2