2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ty may not be in the mix much longer. 

He seems pretty happy in the vid lol. I'm really not convinced he won't stick around for the 9 games. He can definitely be a better option than Mueller or Carrick imo. Especially Mueller who only seems to be an addition on the PK. I really don't trust him to get the puck out of the zone on a regular basis, he seems nervous when he touches the puck. I'd like to see Smith get meaningful games, maybe he'll settle once he knows he's made the team? 

38 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

He seems pretty happy in the vid lol. I'm really not convinced he won't stick around for the 9 games. He can definitely be a better option than Mueller or Carrick imo. Especially Mueller who only seems to be an addition on the PK. I really don't trust him to get the puck out of the zone on a regular basis, he seems nervous when he touches the puck. I'd like to see Smith get meaningful games, maybe he'll settle once he knows he's made the team? 

Yeah, I mean, we don’t see what the coaches do in practice, but it’s hard for me to believe Smith is worse than Mueller. 

Not sure about Ty settling down during a 9 game trial though. That’s still a lot of pressure to try and stay up with the big club. And it will be against other teams actual regular lineups. 

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Not sure about Ty settling down during a 9 game trial though. That’s still a lot of pressure to try and stay up with the big club. And it will be against other teams actual regular lineups. 

Agreed. I mean, he bombed against half-AHL lineups, there’s no reason to believe he’d look better against a full NHL team. 

Any player, no matter how good or bad they are, will go through brutal stretches.  The 4-5 preseason games Ty played in could have been just a brutal stretch for him and he eventually goes back to form once the season starts.  I am not going to go too crazy over preseason stuff, especially when he looked better in the last 2 games he played.

Sending him back down to Spokane and rip apart that league will do zero for his development.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Any player, no matter how good or bad they are, will go through brutal stretches.  The 4-5 preseason games Ty played in could have been just a brutal stretch for him and he eventually goes back to form once the season starts.  I am not going to go too crazy over preseason stuff, especially when he looked better in the last 2 games he played.

Sending him back down to Spokane and rip apart that league will do zero for his development.

Fully agreed here. Ty has accomplished just about all he can in Junior, I don't think another year in the WHL would help him at all.

Now, that doesn't mean he should be on the team for the full season automatically, but I feel like he should get the 9 game look because of that. He looked better the past couple games, and since it's either WHL or NHL this year with no in between, I think he needs the extra 9 games to prove he either does or does not belong this year.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Fully agreed here. Ty has accomplished just about all he can in Junior, I don't think another year in the WHL would help him at all.

Now, that doesn't mean he should be on the team for the full season automatically, but I feel like he should get the 9 game look because of that. He looked better the past couple games, and since it's either WHL or NHL this year with no in between, I think he needs the extra 9 games to prove he either does or does not belong this year.

I am also considering that the hole he would leave would be filled by garbage, so maybe its worth a shot for 9 games. 

Whether going back to junior or staying in the NHL is better for Ty Smith doesn't really matter. The Devils don't have the roster spots. If this was another throw away season, maybe you let the kid stick around but the Devils are trying to win now and thus, ice their best team. If Mueller or Carrick hadn't played consistently during training camp/preseason, that wouldn't have necessarily meant that Ty Smith would have earned a spot - instead, it might have meant the Devils would have had to go out and find another d-man to complete their roster in light of neither Mueller or Smith cutting it. Actually the Devils might still end up doing that sometime between now and the trade deadline if the team is competitive.

I was looking forward to Ty Smith making the team this year, and like everyone else, thought he would. But my mindset now is that I'm happy that at least Boqvist really stood out and forced the team to give him a roster spot. And Ty Smith is still a teenager - he has many years on the Devils ahead of him.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

With this 9 game situation everyone talks about.............

Wouldn't another player need to be exposed to the waiver wire just to have that spot for Smith to do the 9 games?

Seems silly to do that

Yes, the 9 game tryout is not a free extra roster spot. The Devils really don't have the roster flexibility to do it - assuming that Boqvist makes the team, which at this point is a near certainty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

With this 9 game situation everyone talks about.............

Wouldn't another player need to be exposed to the waiver wire just to have that spot for Smith to do the 9 games?

Seems silly to do that

I am ok with Tennyson, Rooney, Wood and Hayden being exposed to waivers.

14 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I riot if Boqvist is sent to Sweden in favor of Wood, Hayden, or Rooney. That's Ray's fault. 

Boqvist has done everything he needs to to make the team. But in any case, given that it looks like Ty Smith is going back to juniors, there's room for all of the players above on the 23 man roster (assuming Tennyson goes down as well).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am ok with Tennyson, Rooney, Wood and Hayden being exposed to waivers.

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Exactly. Rooney especially is replaceable and very unlikely to be claimed anyway. Wood should be traded at this point. He has the most value. 

You can’t expose Wood to waivers and lose him for nothing, he will be claimed without question. Gotta get something back for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not going to sweat not getting that 2022 7th rounder if Wood gets claimed.

Rooney wouldn't get claimed as well.

I'm not going to sweat it either, but I don't see the logic in giving him away for free where I am almost certain you could trade him with a couple of phone calls, even if its just for a low pick. 

I mean, he still had 10G 14A in only 63 games last year. Pavel Zacha gets those numbers and everyone wants to talk about how he's still developing and "this is the year".

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I'm not going to sweat it either, but I don't see the logic in giving him away for free where I am almost certain you could trade him with a couple of phone calls, even if its just for a low pick. 

I mean, he still had 10G 14A in only 63 games last year. Pavel Zacha gets those numbers and everyone wants to talk about how he's still developing and "this is the year".

While you know I am not exactly high on Zacha either, he does actually have some facets of his game where he is at least somewhat useful.  Other than skating fast and chipping in a goal once in a while, I am not sure what else Wood does.  I would much rather lose Wood than Zacha at this point.