2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I wonder if that rule with be something revisited in the upcoming CBA. It leaves both the player and team in such an awkward situation

Yeah, really sucks that he can't just go to the AHL for this season if need be.  There's zero point in him going back to his junior team now. 

Smith has been the only real disappointment of camp, in my mind.  I thought he'd really come out swinging and make a solid case for himself.

Sounds, to me, like they're preparing to send him back.  Which is insane, imo, because he's got nothing left to prove at that level.

38 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

@mikemorrealeNHL: John Hynes thought on defense prospect Ty Smith in camp so far: "There's got to be a lot more urgency to his game in defending, ending plays, net-front defense, play away from the puck, moving his feet, getting to pucks and breaking out. He's got some work to do."

Welp. That’s just about everything.....

Maltsev is still pretty raw, but I definitely could see him being an NHL regular in a year or two. He could end up having a Coleman type of role. A year in the AHL will be good for him. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Zetterlund develops in the AHL this season. He's one of those guys with some serious tools, but hasn't put it together in any of the preseasons yet.

It would really suck if Smith gets sent back to junior after being one of the best defensemen of last year's preseason and following that up with CHL defenseman of the year. Hasn't made the best case for himself though. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, mfitz804 said:

Nope. If they did, we would have a sh!t ton of space for many years. 

Yea, I figured that was the answer but I wasn’t sure.  That does suck.  It would be cool if it carried over but I suspect this is meant to save the owners money (and from themselves).

1 hour ago, nessus said:

It would really suck if Smith gets sent back to junior after being one of the best defensemen of last year's preseason and following that up with CHL defenseman of the year. Hasn't made the best case for himself though. 

I’m legit annoyed with Smith. There is no reason for such regression after the camp he had last year. He needs to man the fvck up and start playing with some piss and vinegar.

• Like 1

The seems like the worst possible year for Zacha to miss most of camp.   Between the surge in his offensive production over the last 30 games of last season and the number of talented forwards the Devils added this summer potentially knocking him down the lineup, this seems like a career defining season for him.  Tough time to to start behind the 8 ball.

It also sucks to see Ty Smith caught in the abyss between the NHL and WHL.   I wish there were a way for him to get to the AHL.   

• Like 2

Hynes was spot on honest with ty .. small in front of our goal and weak behind it.. the kid didn't dig one puck out , it seemed every time he had the puck deep in in our own end and pressured, the puck ended up possessed by the other team.. Hynes can't make bold statements to the press about earning a spot on the team, and then turn around and keep smith.. it would be hugely hypocritical..

10 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Hynes was spot on honest with ty .. small in front of our goal and weak behind it.. the kid didn't dig one puck out , it seemed every time he had the puck deep in in our own end and pressured, the puck ended up possessed by the other team.. Hynes can't make bold statements to the press about earning a spot on the team, and then turn around and keep smith.. it would be hugely hypocritical..

Agreed. So far he’s basically earned a trip back to juniors. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Can he play 9 games in the NHL and then be sent back to juniors like it works with the AHL?

I’m assuming not...

Yes.  Actually I think that rule only exists for the CHL.  Players eligible for the AHL can be moved up and down at will if they are not waiver eligible.   

26 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yes.  Actually I think that rule only exists for the CHL.  Players eligible for the AHL can be moved up and down at will if they are not waiver eligible.   

Ah yeah, ofc. I don’t know why I typed AHL. Doesn’t it work with European leagues too? Like with Boqvist? He’s  probably a lock at this point though. 

Edited by Nicomo

25 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yes.  Actually I think that rule only exists for the CHL.

I’m not sure he’s even earned a 9 game trial. Not happy about it because after last training camp, I thought it would be a foregone conclusion he would make the team this year. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure he’s even earned a 9 game trial. Not happy about it because after last training camp, I thought it would be a foregone conclusion he would make the team this year. 

the issue is that he's not in the top 4.

masisak called it - he's not going to play any special teams with this crew so that means you're hiding him for 12 minutes a night on the third pair. what good is that for a 19 year old.

is he more valuable than meuller to this team? yes. but keeping smith to maybe play 30 games this year barring a rash of injuries to the defense doesn't seem to make sense.

he's going to have to really show marked improvement over the next two weeks to even get his 9 game trial at this point.

3 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

the issue is that he's not in the top 4.

masisak called it - he's not going to play any special teams with this crew so that means you're hiding him for 12 minutes a night on the third pair. what good is that for a 19 year old.

is he more valuable than meuller to this team? yes. but keeping smith to maybe play 30 games this year barring a rash of injuries to the defense doesn't seem to make sense.

he's going to have to really show marked improvement over the next two weeks to even get his 9 game trial at this point.

I thought the issue was he is playing like ass.

Everyone pretends that all things are equal and that each players' play dictates whether or not he makes the team. But waivers/roster flexibility matters to a degree, whether the team would ever admit it or not. The fact stands, Mueller can't be sent down without losing him and so Smith is the odd man out, even if there's more value over time in putting him on the NHL ice.

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Everyone pretends that all things are equal and that each players' play dictates whether or not he makes the team. But waivers/roster flexibility matters to a degree, whether the team would ever admit it or not. The fact stands, Mueller can't be sent down without losing him and so Smith is the odd man out, even if there's more value over time in putting him on the NHL ice.

That’s true as well, but at this point, Smith looks like a liability. If he didn’t, maybe you don’t care so much about Mueller and you trade him or take your chances sending him down. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s true as well, but at this point, Smith looks like a liability. If he didn’t, maybe you don’t care so much about Mueller and you trade him or take your chances sending him down. 

Right, I said it matters to a degree. The depth of the Devils roster, means that a young player having anything but a stand out camp doesn't bode well for that player making the team. The Devils have hard decisions to make, and so Smith coming in and a playing sloppy makes the decision much easier for them. Boqvist on the other hand, did exactly what he needed to do. He didn't just have a good camp, he stood out and impressed - made it so the Devils sending him back overseas would mean they don't put their best team on the ice. 

Btw, Hayden or Rooney could be waived, but why? Is teenager Smith over Mueller or those two guys the difference between a deep run and not? 

Edited by Neb00rs

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Btw, Hayden or Rooney could be waived, but why? Is teenager Smith over Mueller or those two guys the difference between a deep run and not? 

None of those guys are the difference. But you want Smith to be able to develop, and many question if another season in juniors is the way to do that. That particular decision isn’t about the playoffs, it’s about doing what’s best for Smith’s development. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kid has such a great personality. Definitely a future captain. I know the most important thing is their play on the ice, but Jack>Kaapo big time in that department. Kakko seems like he should be in The Adams Family or something. 

• Like 1