2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I know it's semantics, but he's an adult. I have zero qualms about rooting for him to fail. He's a young man whos about to make millions playing in the greatest sport in the world, living in NYC, and playing for a "historic" franchise. 

He's also a Ranger, he can get bent. Hope he rots in Hartford.

Bingo - with you here.

Have no issues admitting that I hope Kakko "Puljujarvi's" himself out of the league.  It's especially delicious watching the kid struggle because of how relentless the Finnish delegation was about calling Hughes undersized.

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bingo - with you here.

Have no issues admitting that I hope Kakko "Puljujarvi's" himself out of the league.  It's especially delicious watching the kid struggle because of how relentless the Finnish delegation was about calling Hughes undersized.

It wasn’t even just the Finns. Pretty much everyone in the hockey world was saying Kakko was far more NHL ready than Hughes. 

It’s early still, but it looks like they might have all been wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It wasn’t even just the Finns. Pretty much everyone in the hockey world was saying Kakko was far more NHL ready than Hughes. 

It’s early still, but it looks like they might have all been wrong. 

Yeah so far i gotta say i was wrong too. I didn't watch enough of Kakko in the NHL to say but i really thought he'd produce right away while Jack would probably need a bit more time to adjust to the NHL.

Still really early, both are still adjusting and they are both not in the best setup playing on struggling teams

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I know it's semantics, but he's an adult. I have zero qualms about rooting for him to fail. He's a young man whos about to make millions playing in the greatest sport in the world, living in NYC, and playing for a "historic" franchise. 

I agree totally, it’s not like we’re rooting for a career ending injury. 

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

When you put it like that..... I'm on board!

Hope he can make the Rangers' Hugh Jessiman drafting misstep look like child's play!

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

I've no doubt Kakko will end up being an excellent NHL player but I can't say I'm not enjoying watching them going into a tail spin at the moment. Mind you it's probably no surprise he's struggling. There's not a lot to get excited about in their group of forwards outside of their top line. I thought Kravtsov was supposed to light the league up as well but I see he's gone back to the KHL. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Kakko already played at least ONE game for the Rangers in the NHL... that's already better than Jessiman

What a draft that was. It was so difficult to miss a good player in that draft, but the rangers nailed it. 

You have people like Big Buff and Toby Enstrom going in the 8th round. Incredible. 

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

What a draft that was. It was so difficult to miss a good player in that draft, but the rangers nailed it. 

You have people like Big Buff and Toby Enstrom going in the 8th round. Incredible. 

After us literally getting probably the least effective player of a stacked top 10 picks of the 2015 class we might want to hold our horses here.

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

After us literally getting probably the least effective player of a stacked top 10 picks of the 2015 class we might want to hold our horses here.

The Jessiman pick will always be hilarious cause you could literally throw a dart on the board and get a good NHLer in 2003. But they picked the ONE who became nothing. 

That being said... i don't feel we're in a position to mock other team's drafting too much lol. Conte's picks from early 2000s up until he was fired were terrible in general outside of very few players

39 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The Jessiman pick will always be hilarious cause you could literally throw a dart on the board and get a good NHLer in 2003. But they picked the ONE who became nothing. 

That being said... i don't feel we're in a position to mock other team's drafting too much lol. Conte's picks from early 2000s up until he was fired were terrible in general outside of very few players

He wasn`t nothing. He played couple in Florida. He was last one who played in nhl and wa drafted in first rnd in 2003. Some kind of achievement. 

Anyway with ot without jessiman their draft work in 2000`s were much better then ours. Viva Conte.

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Flying home from visiting my friend in Tampa and Dan Girardi is on my flight. Said hey and told him I was a Devils fan. Quick exchange, was friendly though. 

Did you ask why he was flying coach and on a commercial plane?  Also, props for recognizing him - I've always thought/known, even though I consider myself a diehard hockey fan for nearly 30 years, that I'd recognize very few players and faces if I ever saw them in person, especially if they were in street clothes.  I think on any given team I'd be able to point out maybe 4-5 guys max, and I'm pretty sure Dan Girardi wouldn't be one of them.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Did you ask why he was flying coach and on a commercial plane?  Also, props for recognizing him - I've always thought/known, even though I consider myself a diehard hockey fan for nearly 30 years, that I'd recognize very few players and faces if I ever saw them in person, especially if they were in street clothes.  I think on any given team I'd be able to point out maybe 4-5 guys max, and I'm pretty sure Dan Girardi wouldn't be one of them.

They were flying business class, not coach. It was him, his wife, and two kids. I would guess he saved several thousand dollars by flying commercial vs chartering a private jet. 

34 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

It was likely the eyes. He has freakish ice blue ices, almost Icelandic. I always noticed that when he was on the Rangers.

It was the eyes and the chin. Dan Girardi was a huge pain in the ass early on in his career-- I hated him as a Rag. I think he was at his peak in the Torts era. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They were flying business class, not coach. It was him, his wife, and two kids. I would guess he saved several thousand dollars by flying commercial vs chartering a private jet. 

It was the eyes and the chin. Dan Girardi was a huge pain in the ass early on in his career-- I hated him as a Rag. I think he was at his peak in the Torts era. 

Gotcha.  I meant why he was flying a commercial plane rather than with the team on their private plane.  I guess if he had his family maybe that's why, but I'd still think most guys who have their families in town generally fly with the team still.  I would've thought that was actually a requirement from the team.

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gotcha.  I meant why he was flying a commercial plane rather than with the team on their private plane.  I guess if he had his family maybe that's why, but I'd still think most guys who have their families in town generally fly with the team still.  I would've thought that was actually a requirement from the team.

He’s retired. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Best Dman on their team though.  This contract makes more sense to me than giving that money to super young guys, but I know Im in the minority.

Agreed.   The Preds are contenders now and for the foreseeable future and this is a pretty good AAV.   Josi seems like the type of defenseman that will age pretty well.   By the back end of the deal, 9 million will probably be the going rate for second line defenseman and the Preds will probably be entering a rebuild anyway.  

well not related to anything... i was having a discussion with a buddy of mine who just separated with his gf and he has to pay crazy child support.

Made me wonder if Marty was still paying his alimony so i looked into it...

Yup.

Only one year left though, one last $500,000. 

That's a whole lot of moola over the years

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well not related to anything... i was having a discussion with a buddy of mine who just separated with his gf and he has to pay crazy child support.

Made me wonder if Marty was still paying his alimony so i looked into it...

Yup.

Only one year left though, one last $500,000. 

That's a whole lot of moola over the years

Guess he’ll be stepping down from his business front office position next year then!