2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Kakko looks really, really good over the last few games.  He's going to be a special player.

Should be a fun rivalry for our teams, considering Nico and Patrick hasn't been much of a competition.

Brutal.  Feel bad the kid, really.  Not so much that the Flyers picked a total bust at 2OA, though.

people are already looking past Nolan and are locking in on Pettersson Heiskanen and Makar for comparisons to Nico, especially after Nico's extension and the low hanging fruit of it "not being worth it compared to those guys"

28 minutes ago, jagknife said:

people are already looking past Nolan and are locking in on Pettersson Heiskanen and Makar for comparisons to Nico, especially after Nico's extension and the low hanging fruit of it "not being worth it compared to those guys"

And it bears saying, though obvious, that’s a stupid assessment. You don’t pay a 21 year old based on what they have down, you pay them on what they may do. 

Now veterans on the other hand...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And it bears saying, though obvious, that’s a stupid assessment. You don’t pay a 21 year old based on what they have down, you pay them on what they may do. 

Now veterans on the other hand...

Smart GMs have gravitated to locking up talent by paying for development projections.    GMs living in the past are still paying 30yos for past performance hoping they can hang on So the contract is ‘manageable’  later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

5 G in his last 7 GP.  He has 6 G in 16 GP on his season, on 20.0% shooting.  He's starting to get his shots...he only had 11 SOG though his first 8 GP, and now has 19 SOG in his last 8 GP.  Puny sample stuff of course, but it looks like he's starting to settle in.

I can't tell if he sucks or not. What's his Expected Goals??

:) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can't tell if he sucks or not. What's his Expected Goals??

:) 

You're asking the wrong guy, I've never once mentioned Expected Goals, heh heh.  He'd have to find a DeLorean, plutonium and a flux capacitor and head back to the mid-80s if he ever expects to continue to shoot 20% over a full season though. 

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

Looks like Kovy is going to be released by LA. I don't need stats (advanced or otherwise) to know he's not been very good since his return to the NHL.

I'm sure Tri and some others would know...are the Kings stuck with his remaining cap hits?  I believe that they are.  I was following him more because I wanted to see how he would do after having been out of the NHL for so long (and likely being past his prime years), but man it would have been so much sweeter if he had sucked as a Ranger. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm sure Tri and some others would know...are the Kings stuck with his remaining cap hits?  I believe that they are.  I was following him more because I wanted to see how he would do after having been out of the NHL for so long (and likely being past his prime years), but man it would have been so much sweeter if he had sucked as a Ranger. 

My understanding is that if they release him, yes, they still have his cap hit. 

I'd like to be a bigger person and say that I wished him the best and I am not happy he failed, but I think we all know that ain't true. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My understanding is that if they release him, yes, they still have his cap hit. 

I'd like to be a bigger person and say that I wished him the best and I am not happy he failed, but I think we all know that ain't true. 

He is over 35 or whatever so they can't buy him out or bury him in the minors for cap relief. The CBA is built so that teams can't sign those sh!t contracts with older guys then try to dump them without consequence when they get even older and stop producing(unless they go on LTIR, of course).

He's laughing all the way to the bank anyway, so I am sure he doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

If it wasn't for him then us fans never see the finals in 2012. He did the team a favor in the long run by leaving when Parise dipped(which hurt worse). The worst part about the whole incident was losing the draft pick and then getting it back just in time to draft Matteau.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No matter how much he'd have sucked as a Ranger he would still have scored against the Devils! Not sure about his cap. Can he retire again?

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He's laughing all the way to the bank anyway, so I am sure he doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

He probably still cares, I am sure he'd rather have won a Cup than made an extra $10 million, but given that he didn't win a Cup, he'll take the money lol. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He probably still cares, I am sure he'd rather have won a Cup than made an extra $10 million, but given that he didn't win a Cup, he'll take the money lol. 

Yea but when you've prob net hundreds of millions in a career between NA and Russia I am sure 10m for a cup win wouldn't really require a lot of thought. This year and next alone that he is under contract he is supposed to make like 11 and change alone and he might not even play another game.

This is amazing.  The stars never cease to align.  I'm sure others know who we play tomorrow.  Yeah, the Penguins.  No Crosby, no Letang, no Hornqvist, at home. We will lose because Mac, through no fault of his own, won't be able to come up with miracle save after miracle save, and if we're not getting above-average goaltending then it's yet another 4-1 uncompetitive loss.

Fire Hynes.