2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

well... considering how empty our lower bowl gets, I refuse to sh!t talk another team's attendance.....

I find it more interesting since there was a time when the Flyers would sell out every game and had a more loyal following than any of the other teams in town.  They're not even a bad team now. 

Edited by Daniel

15 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

So a girl I grew up with, lived a couple blocks over from me, and was a classmate of mine from K-12 was diagnosed with this exact same cancer back around Feb of this year.

She died in August.  This cancer is terrible.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Sad 4

Not sure if others saw, but I found this interesting.  I haven't quite figured out how to embed tweets in here yet, but yesterday Slava Malamud (Russian hockey reporter) tweeted this yesterday:

"I am not sure whether it's known in America or not, but in Russia it is.  Kovalchuk's actual age is 2 years more than is indicated in his documents.  It was a common practice in Russian youth hockey in the 90s and early 2000s.  So, his age is showing in an unsurprising fashion."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not sure if others saw, but I found this interesting.  I haven't quite figured out how to embed tweets in here yet, but yesterday Slava Malamud (Russian hockey reporter) tweeted this yesterday:

"I am not sure whether it's known in America or not, but in Russia it is.  Kovalchuk's actual age is 2 years more than is indicated in his documents.  It was a common practice in Russian youth hockey in the 90s and early 2000s.  So, his age is showing in an unsurprising fashion."

Interesting, I know people age differently but he certainly looks more 38 than he does 36 so I could see that being true. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ha so Gusev is probably 30

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

well that may be why Ovechkin already has a full head of grey hair lol

honestly tho if there's any truth to this it could be a huge bomb dropped in the hockey community

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

...what?

I'm not directing this at you, because I know you're just the messenger, but that seems pretty ludicrous and stupid.  I mean, I know countries have different calendars and things like that, but what would be the reason for stating a person, more specifically a hockey player, is two years younger than they actually are?  The only way I could see that being of some benefit is when they're very young, i.e. trying to get an actual 16 year old to play against 14 year olds, therefore gaining some type of performance edge, but that would only make sense if they were playing against non-Russians, otherwise everyone else would be doing the same thing.  Not to mention the fact that it's pretty vague and just says "it was common practice in the 90s and 2000s"....common practice...why? For what?  And is it no longer common now?  What changed?  Suuuuuper odd.

I feel like this is similar to when you hear a story about someone in an obscure tribal community who has maintained a low profile all of their life and claims to be 131 years old, but there's no documentation of it whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

...what?

I'm not directing this at you, because I know you're just the messenger, but that seems pretty ludicrous and stupid.  I mean, I know countries have different calendars and things like that, but what would be the reason for stating a person, more specifically a hockey player, is two years younger than they actually are?  The only way I could see that being of some benefit is when they're very young, i.e. trying to get an actual 16 year old to play against 14 year olds, therefore gaining some type of performance edge, but that would only make sense if they were playing against non-Russians, otherwise everyone else would be doing the same thing.  Not to mention the fact that it's pretty vague and just says "it was common practice in the 90s and 2000s"....common practice...why? For what?  And is it no longer common now?  What changed?  Suuuuuper odd.

I feel like this is similar to when you hear a story about someone in an obscure tribal community who has maintained a low profile all of their life and claims to be 131 years old, but there's no documentation of it whatsoever. 

Slava is pretty well in-tune with the goings-on with Russia (he was born and raised there) and Russian hockey in general.  I don't think he throws things out there like this without some sort of level of truth.

The bolded part is most likely the reason.  This is not just restricted to Russian hockey players.  Baseball both on Little League and even MLB level has issues with ages of players from the Caribbean for years; especially those from the Dominican Republic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Slava is pretty well in-tune with the goings-on with Russia (he was born and raised there) and Russian hockey in general.  I don't think he throws things out there like this without some sort of level of truth.

The bolded part is most likely the reason.  This is not just restricted to Russian hockey players.  Baseball both on Little League and even MLB level has issues with ages of players from the Caribbean for years; especially those from the Dominican Republic.

True.  I guess I just find it hard to believe that something like that would not have come out by now - if in fact this was happening when they were around that age, and now Kovalchuk is 36 - some 20 years has passed and it just comes to light...

And yeah, I know it not limited to Russia.  I remember the Danny Almonte scandal pretty well, but to my point above, I believe that was exposed a few years after he was in the LLWS, def not 20 years later.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, DevsMan84 said:

So a girl I grew up with, lived a couple blocks over from me, and was a classmate of mine from K-12 was diagnosed with this exact same cancer back around Feb of this year.

She died in August.  This cancer is terrible.

Oh God.. I had no idea it was such a serious diagnosis.  I was hoping it was something along the lines of what Boyle went through.. something that could be beat with medication.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True.  I guess I just find it hard to believe that something like that would not have come out by now - if in fact this was happening when they were around that age, and now Kovalchuk is 36 - some 20 years has passed and it just comes to light...

And yeah, I know it not limited to Russia.  I remember the Danny Almonte scandal pretty well, but to my point above, I believe that was exposed a few years after he was in the LLWS, def not 20 years later.

When the player makes it to the professional level, it becomes less and less of an issue.  I can imagine on the NHL level it would only be a concern regarding his draft eligibility, but even then that would mean he was older than he should be when he was drafted.

It could have been very much where NHL teams knew of Kovy's age, and just either factored that in with their decision making or just disregard it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh God.. I had no idea it was such a serious diagnosis.  I was hoping it was something along the lines of what Boyle went through.. something that could be beat with medication.

Yeah after she died I did some minor research on it since I have never heard of it before.  It typically appears in children and it is rare.  However, in adults it is very rare with only a couple hundred or so cases a year in the entire US from what I have read.

The survivability is also pretty good as a kid.  Something like 70-80% is typical with kids from what I remember.  However, with adults, it is typically around 20-30% survivability rate.  The typical treatment for this is either chemo (usually pretty aggressive) or amputation of affected limb (that is if it hasn't spread).

In short, it's not good and definitely worse than what Boyle went through.

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

While it's not implausible that this stuff would go on, Malamud is not a reliable source when it comes to anyone and anything that is remotely connected to Putin (Kovalchuk apparently is a fairly vocal Putin supporter).  It's fine to dislike Putin of course but Malamud would blame him if he couldn't find his glasses one morning.  If you remember he played like a minute clip of refs making bad calls/non-calls that favored St. Petersberg (Putin's favorite team) and claimed that the Russian government was forcing the refs call the game a certain way and went silent when they ended up losing later on (apparently having them lose later was a way of covering up the conspiracy).  When you let your politics get into your sports reporting as much as he does you lose any objectivity or skepticism you might have because it gets in the way of believing what you want to believe. 

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

While it's not implausible that this stuff would go on, Malamud is not a reliable source when it comes to anyone and anything that is remotely connected to Putin (Kovalchuk apparently is a fairly vocal Putin supporter).  It's fine to dislike Putin of course but Malamud would blame him if he couldn't find his glasses one morning.  If you remember he played like a minute clip of refs making bad calls/non-calls that favored St. Petersberg (Putin's favorite team) and claimed that the Russian government was forcing the refs call the game a certain way and went silent when they ended up losing later on (apparently having them lose later was a way of covering up the conspiracy).  When you let your politics get into your sports reporting as much as he does you lose any objectivity or skepticism you might have because it gets in the way of believing what you want to believe. 

Forgot about that angle and you are right.  The other half of his timeline is anti-Putin and anti-Trump rhetoric.

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

When I played hockey as a kid, I was 6’1” and 200 pounds at age 13. I had to carry my birth certificate in my hockey bag to prove my age just so I could make sure they let me play. 

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Nose claimed off waivers by SJS

Good for him, hope that works out. Seems like a good dude. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I really, really, really hope I never see the day when the Devils start to retiring numbers of guys who really don't deserve it. 

This is a joke... 

We should retire #9, but not for anyone. Just to not use it. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I really, really, really hope I never see the day when the Devils start retiring numbers for guys who really don't deserve it.

This is a joke... 

to be fair though i'm pretty confident other fanbase look a #3 in our rafters and laugh. im not saying he doesn deserve it, im just saying from the outside looking in it sure doesnt really look justified.

so maybe its the same thing for other guys in other teams? who knows

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We should retire #9, but not for anyone. Just to not use it. 

I’m on board with this.

They can raise a #9 to the banner...

and immediately douse it in flames while any song by the Transsiberrian Orchestra plays in the background.  Call it therapy.

• Like 1