2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

to be fair though i'm pretty confident other fanbase look a #3 in our rafters and laugh. im not saying he doesn deserve it, im just saying from the outside looking in it sure doesnt really look justified.

so maybe its the same thing for other guys in other teams? who knows

I don’t think many people would laugh at retiring a player’s number who has the franchise record for games played. At least not for a team that’s been around any significant amount of time. Dano has more games played than either one of those guys, and unlike either of them it was all for one team. 

you don’t always have to play Devils advocate...

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

to be fair though i'm pretty confident other fanbase look a #3 in our rafters and laugh. im not saying he doesn deserve it, im just saying from the outside looking in it sure doesnt really look justified.

so maybe its the same thing for other guys in other teams? who knows

Goring last played in the NHL in 1985 and Tonelli last played in 1992. It's a cash grab to milk on the member berries of old time Islanders fans. If they truely deserved the honor they would have had it done years ago. Not 35 years later for Butch and 28 years later for Tonelli. It's a joke cash grab. 

Dano last played in 2003 and had his number retired in 2006. 

Dano played in 176 playoff games for us.... Butch and Tonelli played in a combined 212 playoff games for the Islanders. They also played in a combined 926 games for the Islanders and Dano played in 1,283 for us. 

Hell Goring is even a bigger joke than Tonelli since points wise in his full seasons with them he had 60/32/39/46. Sure he helped them win 4 cups but what are they going to do, retire everyone who played on all those teams? 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think many people would laugh at retiring a player’s number who has the franchise record for games played. At least not for a team that’s been around any significant amount of time. Dano has more games played than either one of those guys, and unlike either of them it was all for one team. 

you don’t always have to play Devils advocate...

No but i mean if someone is going to make a claim that someone doesn't really deserve to get his # retired by a team... maybe say why? i know islanders fans really love those guys.

Tonelli had very big moments for that franchise, to them he's somewhat similar to Elias for us with his assist on Arnott's goal and  the comeback against the flyers, he was top 8 in pts for them, won 4 cups etc ec

Butch also won 4 cups, won the conn smyth, the masterton and the lady byng, he won a world championship and was a big spark plug when he joined the team.

obviously fans and organization look at different things when it comes to retire #. Some looks at points, some look at what they meant to the team, some look at game played? Some are obviously bullsh!t but from what ive seen islanders are happy about these ones

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Goring last played in the NHL in 1985 and Tonelli last played in 1992. It's a cash grab to milk on the member berries of old time Islanders fans. If they truely deserved the honor they would have had it done years ago. Not 30 years later for Butch and 28 years later for Tonelli. It's a joke cash grab. 

Keep those hands off my “member berries”!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

No but i mean if someone is going to make a claim that someone doesn't really deserve to get his # retired by a team... maybe say why? i know islanders fans really love those guys.

Tonelli had very big moments for that franchise, to them he's somewhat similar to Elias for us with his assist on Arnott's goal and  the comeback against the flyers, he was top 8 in pts for them, won 4 cups etc ec

Butch also won 4 cups, won the conn smyth, the masterton and the lady byng, he won a world championship and was a big spark plug when he joined the team.

obviously fans and organization look at different things when it comes to retire #. Some are obviously bullsh!t but from what ive seen islanders are happy about these ones

I think SH made the most important point, this should have happened years ago if those players were truly so deserving/beloved. Cheapens it to wait so long. 

Edited by Nicomo

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I think SH made the most important point, this should have happened years ago if those players were truly so deserving/beloved. Cheapens it to wait so long. 

yeah probably. but i guess when you had a dynasty team... you kind of have to spread things around when it comes to honouring them haha

With retiring numbers it's pretty simple.  If you didn't think someone deserved it within a few years after they stopped playing (except for weird circumstances, like the Devils making a point to retire Stevens first so Daneyko had to wait) than you shouldn't be retiring it ever unless the player did something amazing after his playing career like cure cancer  or kill Bin Laden. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah probably. but i guess when you had a dynasty team... you kind of have to spread things around when it comes to honouring them haha

Hell I didn't have the years right in my post, I just updated them. When they get their jerseys retired it will be 35 years since Goring last played in the NHL and 28 for Tonelli.

Throw out everything else stats wise but what the hell changed that all of a sudden 35 years and 28 years later that these guys deserved this honor. Hell the amount of Islanders fans who even saw these two play at this point probably doesn't even make up the majority of their fan base anymore. 

And to be fair I will be posting the same exact thing here about it being a cash grap joke if we retire Brylin's number #18 in the year 2043 lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

With retiring numbers it's pretty simple.  If you didn't think someone deserved it within a few years after they stopped playing (except for weird circumstances, like the Devils making a point to retire Stevens first so Daneyko had to wait) than you shouldn't be retiring it ever unless the player did something amazing after his playing career like cure cancer  or kill Bin Laden. 

Exactly and to add I hate that others wore the numbers after they played. If they were that important the number should have never been issued again. I had the same problem with Nieds since they had issued out his number. Tallackson, Clarkson and Mottau all wore the number after he left. Nobody wore #'s 3/4/26/30 after they left. 

Only Tavares wore the #91 after Goring but that's a weird high number so that's why that happened. 

Tonelli's #27 was worn by all these guys after Derek King, Mark Parrish, Michael Peca, Jeremy Colliton, Randy Robitaille, Darryl Bootland, Matt Keith, Milan Jurcina, and Anders Lee. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Exactly and to add I hate that others wore the numbers after they played. If they were that important the number should have never been issued again. I had the same problem with Nieds since they had issued out his number. Tallackson, Clarkson and Mottau all wore the number after he left. Nobody wore #'s 3/4/26/30 after they left. 

Only Tavares wore the #91 after Goring but that's a weird high number so that's why that happened. 

Tonelli's #27 was worn by all these guys after Derek King, Mark Parrish, Michael Peca, Jeremy Colliton, Randy Robitaille, Darryl Bootland, Matt Keith, Milan Jurcina, and Anders Lee. 

So their current captain has to give up his number? Wtf lol

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Obviously with Nieds the circumstances were different.

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In fairness, 3/4/26/30 all retired (pretty much, Marty fvcked it up a little). 27 went to play elsewhere for an extended amount of time. 

I don’t think you make that determination as to whether a guy’s number should be retired before the guy actually retires. So in that case, reissuing the number makes sense. To “hold” #27 pending Nieds’ retirement would have been kind of lame too. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, 3/4/26/30 all retired (pretty much, Marty fvcked it up a little). 27 went to play elsewhere for an extended amount of time. 

I don’t think you make that determination as to whether a guy’s number should be retired before the guy actually retires. So in that case, reissuing the number makes sense. To “hold” #27 pending Nieds’ retirement would have been kind of lame too. 

Nieds was obviously different and I'd have less of a problem with the team letting people wear #27 if they were actually vets coming into the team who wore the number already but this was Tallackson, Clarkson and Mottau lol I think we could have easily avoided giving those guys that number. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Not really. No other Devil should have been allowed to wear 27. Kind like how we never actually retired Pete Rose’s 14 here in Cincy until recently, but no one ever wore it after him. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I literally just posted the opposite lol

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really. No other Devil should have been allowed to wear 27. Kind like how we never actually retired Pete Rose’s 14 here in Cincy until recently, but no one ever wore it after him. 

I literally just posted the opposite lol

Pete rose? That’s certainly a much different circumstance. He was banned from the game for life. Had he not been? There is no question they would have retired his number way sooner. They didn’t want the controversy of retiring it.

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pete rose? That’s certainly a much different circumstance. He was banned from the game for life. Had he not been? There is no question they would have retired his number way sooner. They didn’t want the controversy of retiring it.

At the end of the day what do the circumstances really matter? An all time great’s number was off limits even if it wasn’t officially retired. Nieds should have been, too, imo. Like SH pointed out, it was silly to let a bunch of scrubs wear it. Water under the bridge though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

At the end of the day what do the circumstances really matter? An all time great’s number was off limits even if it wasn’t officially retired. Nieds should have been, too, imo. Like SH pointed out, it was silly to let a bunch of scrubs wear it. Water under the bridge though. 

The circumstances matter because that’s the only reason there was a delay for Pete. 

It would be silly, in my opinion, to pre-retire the number of a guy who is still playing, but for another team.

Besides, we needed all the low numbers we could get when Lou was in town...

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The circumstances matter because that’s the only reason there was a delay for Pete. 

It would be silly, in my opinion, to pre-retire the number of a guy who is still playing, but for another team.

Besides, we needed all the low numbers we could get when Lou was in town...

I almost jokingly mentioned that lol

i just think it’s different when you’re talking about a player the caliber of Niedermayer. Yeah, he was on another team, but it’s not like it was a bad breakup. He wanted to win his brother a Cup. 

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I almost jokingly mentioned that lol

i just think it’s different when you’re talking about a player the caliber of Niedermayer. Yeah, he was on another team, but it’s not like it was a bad breakup. He wanted to win his brother a Cup. 

Tell that to the guy who offered him a ton of money to stay and he refused. Did you then expect him to hold his number to retire?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Tell that to the guy who offered him a ton of money to stay and he refused. Did you then expect him to hold his number to retire?

Yes. He was one of the GOAT, let alone Devils. It should be different when a player was THAT good.