2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

I don't really understand that signing.  I get that it's low risk for Montreal, but why would Kovy want to go there?  They're not even a contender.  I guess maybe if he plays a lot and posts good stats the second half of the year, a better team will give him a shot next season...?

10 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No, it's an audition for the trade deadline. Best case scenario, he plays well and Montreal ships him to a contender at trade deadline.

Worst case, he plays awful and no one comes near him, he finishes in Montreal and then next year who knows.

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Montreal is hit with injuries and he is a warm body.  I don't think there is much more to it than that.

It’s probably a combination of these two posts. 

11 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't really understand that signing.  I get that it's low risk for Montreal, but why would Kovy want to go there?  They're not even a contender.  I guess maybe if he plays a lot and posts good stats the second half of the year, a better team will give him a shot next season...?

Because he wants to play rather than not playing, and the contenders aren’t looking for him. 

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s probably a combination of these two posts. 

Because he wants to play rather than not playing, and the contenders aren’t looking for him. 

I guess so.  Just kinda surprises me that he'd wanna play here for a non contender, rather than go back to his native land and be the golden boy again. 

2 hours ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars/2020/01/03/former-stars-coach-jim-montgomery-checks-into-rehab-for-alcohol-abuse-says-it-was-appropriate-call-to-fire-him/

Seems Jim Montgomery was fired for issues related to alcoholism. I say hire him as soon as he steps foot out of rehab. 

Agreed whole heartedly, let him recover, get everything sorted out that he needs to, and if he wants back in the league &  the job, I hand it to him on a silver platter

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars/2020/01/03/former-stars-coach-jim-montgomery-checks-into-rehab-for-alcohol-abuse-says-it-was-appropriate-call-to-fire-him/

Seems Jim Montgomery was fired for issues related to alcoholism. I say hire him as soon as he steps foot out of rehab. 

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

Agreed whole heartedly, let him recover, get everything sorted out that he needs to, and if he wants back in the league &  the job, I hand it to him on a silver platter

I have a feeling it was something way more than just him being addicted to alcohol. They could have let him go to rehab and come back if that was the case. This seems like an incident that Dallas couldn't risk protecting because of an eventual backlash and that's why they actually fired him. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...rticle238224029.html#storylink=related_inline

The club released a statement from general manager Jim Nill: “The Dallas Stars expect all of our employees to act with integrity and exhibit professional behavior while working for and representing our organization. This decision was made due to unprofessional conduct inconsistent with the core values and beliefs of the Dallas Stars and the National Hockey League.”

Nill told reporters during a press conference Tuesday that the team was made aware of “a material act of unprofessionalism” on Sunday.

Club officials convened with lawyers, and the team decided to fire Montgomery. This likely means the team fired Montgomery with cause, and they will not have to pay him the remainder of his contract.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would’ve made him throw in an additional Rolex, on top of $150,000. Kovy can afford it lol. 

Yeah, no idea how much a Rolex costs, but I’d want more than a watch. You want your number Kovy? Bring me some keys to a nice luxury suv of your choosing lol

• Like 1