2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Bring Laviolette in immediately. He’d have half a season to get the players accustomed to his system, and we’d have a head start for next season. Waiting makes absolutely no sense. Nas is not going to be this year’s Craig Berube. 

• Like 5

Whoaaaaaaa.  I watched a little of the Preds-Stars Winter Classic game, and during one of the intermissions they were interviewing Laviolette, and I couldn't help but think "Man, he's been a pretty good coach almost everywhere he's been, I'd love to have a guy like him coach our team", but I kinda stopped it right there because I thought he was lockced up for a while and pretty safe with Nashville, having some success with them.  

This comes as a total shock to me, and sort of a premonition-type moment.  That said, RAY, SEND A PRIVATE JET TO PICK HIM UP AND BRING A PALLET OF CASH WITH YOU.

This is as clear of a no-brainer as I've seen in a long time.  It almost seems like a match made in heaven.  We need a veteran coach.  We need a disciplinarian coach.  We need a proven coach.  Laviolette is all of those things.  He can take our young talent and mold them into winners.  Yes it will be a little awkward for Nas, but his title has been "interim head coach" the entire time - there were no promises of him being promoted to permanent head coach.  You sit him down briefly and tell him that you're bringing in Laviolette, and that you're keeping Nas on to work under the direction of Peter. Over time, Peter will then have discretion as to whether or not he wants Nas to remain as part of his staff.

Do ittttttttttttttttt.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

I'm not quite as high on Laviolette as some are, and he won his lone Cup in that goofy 2005-06 season where legal checks led to penalties during the first quarter of the season...but based on his track record, he does seem able to keep his teams competitive for about 4-5 years (at which point he about runs his course).  He's a bit of a retread (his next HC gig will be his fifth), but Devils could do a lot worse with a HC hire...like others have noted, his teams do pick up points...he has a lifetime .588 point% as a HC.  I'm not going to be over-the-top excited if Shero were to nab him, but I'm not going to be ticked off about it in the slightest.  He does bring credibility with him.  

It's fair to wonder if Laviolette wants to take the rest of this season to catch his breath...he's been a HC for 18 seasons.  Not all of them have been full seasons, and in 2013-14, he was let go just three games into that campaign...but he may take a step back and not jump right back into the water.  This move may not even be in Shero's hands, as far as bringing Laviolette in-season goes.   

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It involves an obvious decision and he is not already connected to Pittsburgh.

The whole "Shero obsession with players/staff connected with Pittsburgh" thing is still miles better than the "Lou obsession with signing ex-Devils that are 35+ years old, over the hill and that nobody wants anymore to patch holes on a declining team. 

You don't let go. Then i don't either.