2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The guy had 34 pts in 37 games in the juniors when we drafted him and now people are surprised he's not producing more in the NHL. Go figure

I don’t think anyone is surprised Zacha isn’t producing. I think most are still beside themselves we drafted him to begin with, then he teased us with his start this year  and hasn’t been seen since.

EDIT: Think, not thing. fvck my phone

Edited by jagknife

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I don’t think anyone is surprised Zacha isn’t producing. I think most are still beside themselves we drafted him to begin with, then he teased us with his start this year  and hasn’t been seen since.

I don’t know if that’s true, people have been pitching his potential and that he’s soooo young for years, and he still has time to develop...

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

well its been mentioned often but Zacha was always projected around where we picked. Look at any mock drafts and it was always around that spot

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

well its been mentioned often but Zacha was always projected around where we picked. Look at any mock drafts and it was always around that spot

Right, and a guy picked at the level should t be a 4th line center/defensive forward. 

The Devils picking him doesn’t bother me because he was projected to be way more than he is. That doesn’t always work out.

Like I’ve said a million times, picking 6th (or 1st or 20th) doesn’t guarantee you get the 6th (or 1st or 20th) best guy available. so going back AFTER the draft class is in the league and saying “we could’ve had Barzal” is really easy to do. Every team in the league could do this about almost every player they have ever taken, except first overall picks who turned out to actually be the best player of that draft year. How often does that actually happen? Maybe a handful of times, and even then, it was a no-brainer pick. The Oilers were never not taking McDavid, Pens never not taking Crosby, and so on. 

If you want to be mad that the guy sucks, then be mad that he sucks. We took a chance that was in line with what everyone in the world was saying, it didn’t work. Get the fvck over it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, and a guy picked at the level should t be a 4th line center/defensive forward. 

The Devils picking him doesn’t bother me because he was projected to be way more than he is. That doesn’t always work out.

Like I’ve said a million times, picking 6th (or 1st or 20th) doesn’t guarantee you get the 6th (or 1st or 20th) best guy available. so going back AFTER the draft class is in the league and saying “we could’ve had Barzal” is really easy to do. Every team in the league could do this about almost every player they have ever taken, except first overall picks who turned out to actually be the best player of that draft year. How often does that actually happen? Maybe a handful of times, and even then, it was a no-brainer pick. The Oilers were never not taking McDavid, Pens never not taking Crosby, and so on. 

If you want to be mad that the guy sucks, then be mad that he sucks. We took a chance that was in line with what everyone in the world was saying, it didn’t work. Get the fvck over it. 

I'm just mad he sucks. 

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of sh!t a guy can take a run at you and then you get punished for sticking up for yourself. Tkachuk is getting a reputation for starting sh!t then turtling. 

yeah he legit ran him 3 times and then finally Kassian had enough. He trucked him each time not just hard hits.

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

this was also amazing

I hope for that guys sake it was a setup or he had a ring and made a proposal later in that evening in spectacular fashion , otherwise he isn't getting any for a looooooooong time. 

• Haha 2

There goes the top name off my dream UFA list for next summer:

Backstrom stays with the Caps, 5 years at $46m

The puts them at over $71m for next season with two defenders and Holtby to still sign.

My uneducated guess is they let Holtby walk and they ride Samsonov and Copley into the future.

i wouldn’t mind a few years of Holtby here to help take any pressure of Blackwood, but Lehner might be significantly cheaper, should he hit the market as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The puts them at over $71m for next season with two defenders and Holtby to still sign.

My uneducated guess is they let Holtby walk and they ride Samsonov and Copley into the future.

i wouldn’t mind a few years of Holtby here to help take any pressure of Blackwood, but Lehner might be significantly cheaper, should he hit the market as well.

A few years ago I would've loved to take a stab at Backstrom, but he's 32, and I feel like he could start to decline in the near future.  

I wouldn't necessarily turn Holtby down, but I also don't have a problem with riding Blackwood and Domingue in tandem - I know many were not impressed with Domingue early on, but he's certainly looked more competent recently, and Blackwood should be getting the lion's share of the starts from here on out, so really anyone we put back there just needs to be decent (and not expensive), so I'm not sure Holtby would be a great fit for that role.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Careful with Holtby...he's been pretty ordinary now over the last three seasons, including this one (.907 save% overall, .899 this year).  Curious to see how much he gets as a UFA...especially term.  He may very well take a one-year "bet on himself" kind of contract, if he doesn't get hot and can't pull his numbers up.  

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

A few years ago I would've loved to take a stab at Backstrom, but he's 32, and I feel like he could start to decline in the near future.  

I wouldn't necessarily turn Holtby down, but I also don't have a problem with riding Blackwood and Domingue in tandem - I know many were not impressed with Domingue early on, but he's certainly looked more competent recently, and Blackwood should be getting the lion's share of the starts from here on out, so really anyone we put back there just needs to be decent (and not expensive), so I'm not sure Holtby would be a great fit for that role.

Agree that I very much want to see what the Devils have in Blackwood (we just don't have a large enough sample size yet to really know, but overall I do like his upside).  I think Domingue on an iffy team (like this one) will be about a .900ish guy...up and down.  Just not a guy who you can really count on from start-to-start.  For all we know, this past weekend might have been the highlight of his Devils career.

• Like 1

Caps re-up Backstrom for some serious dough. Must mean Holtby is gone this off-season.

Thoughts on the Devils going after him? Proven winner, though I'm sure he's benefitted from playing on great teams but I don't think he's as average as Crawford.

Edit: Beaten to the punch, disregard

Edited by Devilsfan118