2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Coyotes have dropped the the last wild card spot in the west with 3 games at hand on Winnipeg who is just outside of the playoff picture and 3 points behind them. 

Looks like Hall might get us a good second pick in the first round as long as they don’t win one of the lottery’s for top 3.

15 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Coyotes have dropped the the last wild card spot in the west with 3 games at hand on Winnipeg who is just outside of the playoff picture and 3 points behind them. 

Looks like Hall might get us a good second pick in the first round as long as they don’t win one of the lottery’s for top 3.

That is definitely going to happen

On 1/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Jerzey said:

Yeah I’m almost positive if they’re a lottery team they’re going to win it with him on the team. Maybe they’ll be so far out by the deadline that they trade him.

If that happens I will die laughing if Arizona gets a better return than what NJ got.

They are most useful for pro scouting only.  For instance, look at the numbers of a guy like Jake Gardiner in the playoffs, and you can see why it's a good idea to stay far away from a player like that.

So, imho, the negative stats are far more useful than the positive ones. A guy having great puck possession metrics doesn't mean he's going to help you win, but a guy like Gardiner who the opposition scores easily on

in high stress times is a definite red flag to avoid.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

They are most useful for pro scouting only.  For instance, look at the numbers of a guy like Jake Gardiner in the playoffs, and you can see why it's a good idea to stay far away from a player like that.

So, imho, the negative stats are far more useful than the positive ones. A guy having great puck possession metrics doesn't mean he's going to help you win, but a guy like Gardiner who the opposition scores easily on

in high stress times is a definite red flag to avoid.

I understand, but for me, the basis is still in real stats...whether the other team scores. That sounds kind of like plus-minus but you have to actually be involved in the play rather than just being on the ice. 

Ya I'm actually one of the few who does believe that +/- is  a valid stat, especially for defensemen.

Sure, you can get unlucky and step on the ice right before a goal is scored, but over the entire season those flukes will balance out.

The fact that Damon Severson has such a huge -ve value over his career is no accident or fluke.

Same with Scott Stevens having a career value of +395

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ya I'm actually one of the few who does believe that +/- is  a valid stat, especially for defensemen.

Sure, you can get unlucky and step on the ice right before a goal is scored, but over the entire season those flukes will balance out.

The fact that Damon Severson has such a huge -ve value over his career is no accident or fluke.

Same with Scott Stevens having a career value of +395

It is what it is, its not a reflection of your own performance necessarily, its the team's performance while you are playing. But you're right, for the most part nobody is lucking into a high plus rating.

That said, I bet if you go look at the defensemen who played with Gretzky on those Oilers teams, they probably benefitted greatly in the plus/minus department. But those situations are rare, arguably non existent in today's NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Exactly. Step on down defensive stalwart.. Mr. Paul Coffey!

He had +/- over 50 in the early eighties with EDM, then never ever came close to that once he left.

Gretzky was a different animal. I mean, there's a lot of guys on those Edmonton teams with inflated stats. Part of that is just the era, part of that is The Great One. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Exactly. Step on down defensive stalwart.. Mr. Paul Coffey!

He had +/- over 50 in the early eighties with EDM, then never ever came close to that once he left.

I agree with you in the sense that +/- is probably more of useful stat that most people give it credit for nowadays, but to your point above, while Coffey wasn't exactly a defensive stalwart and almost definitely benefitted in the +/- category from having Gretzky and Messier on his line boosting that stat for him, he himself was also really good at scoring goals, so I think he deserves some credit for his high +/- numbers.