2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Yeah pretty awesome. I mean, I’d have been all over him in my playing days, and whatever teammates jumped in. Those guys didn’t care at all.

Once had to step in for a teammate that was not only getting pummeled by a friend of mine on the other team, but totally deserved it. After the melee, my friend says to me “what are you doing? You know he deserved that”, to which I replied “I waited 10 seconds before I stepped in”. 

• Haha 1

Someone here suggested the Scott Gomez interview on Spittin Chiclets and I finally listened to it. Sorry, I forget who mentioned it but wow what a fun one. Its a must listen for a Devils fan during the time period. He's a bit of a goof but he tells stories about Lou, McKay, Gilmour, his line with Brendan Morrison and Claude Lemieux, Colin White, and Burns. He only got through the first few seasons so he'll be back. 

Thanks to whoever suggested that one. I couldn't find the post. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

May have been me. I recommend spittin chiclets any chance I get, and that interview was incredible.

he spoke for almost a full hour and didn’t even get into stories about Scotty Stevens or Marty Brodeur. They’re having him back on some day soon to continue.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was you actually. 

That part where he talks about Burns calling him a few days before he died to apologize about being hard on him really speaks to how amazing of a person Burns was 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Someone here suggested the Scott Gomez interview on Spittin Chiclets and I finally listened to it. Sorry, I forget who mentioned it but wow what a fun one. Its a must listen for a Devils fan during the time period. He's a bit of a goof but he tells stories about Lou, McKay, Gilmour, his line with Brendan Morrison and Claude Lemieux, Colin White, and Burns. He only got through the first few seasons so he'll be back. 

Thanks to whoever suggested that one. I couldn't find the post. 

I actually just watched this clip last night...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Reminds me of my playing days. kid on my team got a 2 and 10 for slashing. In the locker room my coach says “what the hell happened?” Kid says “the referee says I slashed someone’s ankles and that I told the ref to suck my d!ck”. Coach says “okay, so what actually happened?”

”I slashed someone’s ankles and I told the ref to suck my d!ck.”

I played with a kid that got thrown out of 10 games in a 17 game season. 

His usually progression was take a 2 minute penalty, mouth off the the opponent, get an additional 2 for unsportsmanlike, mouth off to the ref, get a 10 minute misconduct, continue mouthing off, get kicked out of the game. Every single time. As soon as he took a minor penalty, you knew he'd be out of the game. Out of the other 7 games, he was suspended for 3 of them. We then played two playoff games, he got kicked out of one and started a fistfight with one of the parents from the opposing team, resulting in a full bench clearing near-brawl. 

I didn't mind because he was my linemate and when he got kicked out, I would shift from wing to center, which I preferred at the time. 

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Reminds me of my playing days. kid on my team got a 2 and 10 for slashing. In the locker room my coach says “what the hell happened?” Kid says “the referee says I slashed someone’s ankles and that I told the ref to suck my d!ck”. Coach says “okay, so what actually happened?”

”I slashed someone’s ankles and I told the ref to suck my d!ck.”

I got tossed from a game in high school for telling a ref to fvck off. Earned a one game suspension for it too. A very proud moment. 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I got tossed from a game in high school for telling a ref to fvck off. Earned a one game suspension for it too. A very proud moment. 😂

I got tossed from a game at Rye Playland cause at the last second when I went to hit a kid behind the net, he showed his numbers. So as I tried to ride with him into the hit, instead of arms extended, he flopped And folded like a plastic duck doll. I thought I was getting two for charging, sat in the box, then the Westchester (NY) ref came over, gave me a rash of sh!t, I said “you’re joking right?” And tossed me, then my coach, then my captain. It was a wild night

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jagknife said:

In non-hockey news: Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash 

photos from outside scene Look like it was bad weather. Sadly I think it was pilot error, along the vein of “probably shouldn’t have taken off.”

Yeah heard this not long ago.  Very sad.  Apparently his daughters were on the helicopter too.  Some sort of fire started and caused it to go down. I think the fog was just a coincidence, but probably didn't help. 

So sad.

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah heard this not long ago.  Very sad.  Apparently his daughters were on the helicopter too.  Some sort of fire started and caused it to go down. I think the fog was just a coincidence, but probably didn't help. 

So sad.

Thankfully, if you can call it that, only one of his daughters were on the flight. Not all 4 as was originally reported.

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

In non-hockey news: Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash 

photos from outside scene Look like it was bad weather. Sadly I think it was pilot error, along the vein of “probably shouldn’t have taken off.”

Not trying to be purposely argumentative but there is really no way of knowing what happened yet. Always important to not jump to conclusions before the info is in. Pilot error gets tossed around a lot and some rain and fog aren't really reasons to ground a flight, that is where there are IFR ratings. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not trying to be purposely argumentative but there is really no way of knowing what happened yet. Always important to not jump to conclusions before the info is in. Pilot error gets tossed around a lot and some rain and fog aren't really reasons to ground a flight, that is where there are IFR ratings

I know... the 217/202v3 is pretty much half of my job. But I get what you’re saying. Shouldn’t speculate until something is founded.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I know... the 217/202v3 is pretty much half of my job. But I get what you’re saying. Shouldn’t speculate until something is founded.

Yea that's what I meant. I would be more inclined to entertain it if it were some weekend pilot taking his family for a spin or something. "Have to get there itus" is definitely a thing. 

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I thought we only had hockey nerds here, apparently aviation ones too!!

44 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am, but I'm only a keyboard pilot unfortunately(so far). 

Not a pilot, but I stop them from making stupid decisions and I get to do cooler things while they drive the bus 😉

According to reports from this morning, it looks like the pilot simply slammed into the mountain.

This immediately brings me back to memories of Stevie Ray Vaughan.  He also died in a helicopter crash but after a concert at a resort.  IIRC it was foggy as well and his helicopter slammed into the side of an artificial hill.  Apparently, the topographical charts the helicopter pilot was using in that case was using an old chart that didn't show the artificial hill since the hill was just recently built by the resort.

• Sad 1