2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

According to reports from this morning, it looks like the pilot simply slammed into the mountain.

This immediately brings me back to memories of Stevie Ray Vaughan.  He also died in a helicopter crash but after a concert at a resort.  IIRC it was foggy as well and his helicopter slammed into the side of an artificial hill.  Apparently, the topographical charts the helicopter pilot was using in that case was using an old chart that didn't show the artificial hill since the hill was just recently built by the resort.

I was watching the Today show this morning and Tom Costello was reporting that the pilot may have become spatially disoriented due to the fog and low cloud ceiling.... the LAPD grounded all of their helicopters yesterday morning due to the low visibility and cloud conditions. It’s such a sad, sad story. It certainly sounds like that chopper should’ve never gone up. 😢

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was watching the Today show this morning and Tom Costello was reporting that the pilot may have become spatially disoriented due to the fog and low cloud ceiling.... the LAPD grounded all of their helicopters yesterday morning due to the low visibility and cloud conditions. It’s such a sad, sad story. It certainly sounds like that chopper should’ve never gone up. 😢

On the news this morning I saw someone mention that no pilot should allow their passenger into talking them into flying when they feel they shouldn't. But I have not heard anyone (other than rank speculation) say that occurred in this case. 

Has anyone heard that was actually at play here?

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

According to reports from this morning, it looks like the pilot simply slammed into the mountain.

This immediately brings me back to memories of Stevie Ray Vaughan.  He also died in a helicopter crash but after a concert at a resort.  IIRC it was foggy as well and his helicopter slammed into the side of an artificial hill.  Apparently, the topographical charts the helicopter pilot was using in that case was using an old chart that didn't show the artificial hill since the hill was just recently built by the resort.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Would be pretty crazy if that is the case. Pilot's have to spend extensive time training to get their IFR rating flying in low visibility conditions so they know how to avoid spacial disorientation-- same thing that killed the Kennedy who was flying to Martha's Vinyard but he lacked the training to fly in those conditions. Plenty of modern aircraft the caliber of what Kobe owned are also usually equipped with terrain radar and most pilot's brief themselves extensively on potential ground obstacles. Just a massive accident. 

Also this:

Sounds like the flight was supposed to be VFR(visual flight) and they unexpectedly ended up in the fog. Pilot still reported VFR conditions to ATC right before the crash despite it being IMC. Many many aviation accidents result from VFR rated pilots ending up in IMC conditions unexpectedly. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

On 1/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Per an The Athletic article that came out the other day, 86% of NHL players polled said they don't pay attention to advanced stats.

It's been rumored that Beau Bennett would take a lot of low percentage shot attempts to intentionally boost his Corsi.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Would be pretty crazy if that is the case. Pilot's have to spend extensive time training to get their IFR rating flying in low visibility conditions so they know how to avoid spacial disorientation-- same thing that killed the Kennedy who was flying to Martha's Vinyard but he lacked the training to fly in those conditions. Plenty of modern aircraft the caliber of what Kobe owned are also usually equipped with terrain radar and most pilot's brief themselves extensively on potential ground obstacles. Just a massive accident. 

FWIW the SRV accident was about 30 years ago so not sure if even modern helicopters of that day were equipped with terrain radar. 

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW the SRV accident was about 30 years ago so not sure if even modern helicopters of that day were equipped with terrain radar. 

Def not, but my point was it wasn't as if this pilot would have to be checking charts like back then. It would be a setting on his PFD (if the aircraft was equipped with it). Anyway, sounds like no one had planned for low visibility.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Don't they have GPS?

20 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Don't they have GPS?

While I am no aviation expert, I believe GPS can really only provide latitude and longitude readings.  Altitude, pitch, yaw, etc are not provided by GPS and the pilot must rely on instrument readings if they are rated for flying via instrument only.  If they are not rated for flying via instrument then they have to rely on visual flying (in essence by looking where they are by their eyes and identifying landmarks/terrain/etc). 

This is my guess.  Those who are more familiar with this can probably explain better.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While I am no aviation expert, I believe GPS can really only provide latitude and longitude readings.  Altitude, pitch, yaw, etc are not provided by GPS and the pilot must rely on instrument readings if they are rated for flying via instrument only.  If they are not rated for flying via instrument then they have to rely on visual flying (in essence by looking where they are by their eyes and identifying landmarks/terrain/etc). 

This is my guess.  Those who are more familiar with this can probably explain better.

I obviously have no clue, but since my phone can track every little hill when I'm out running, I would expect planes and Helicopters to have similar systems

2 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

I obviously have no clue, but since my phone can track every little hill when I'm out running, I would expect planes and Helicopters to have similar systems

I’d expect them to have better than an app on your phone, actually.

7 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

I can tell you that the plane I fly on has a GCAS (Ground collision avoidance system) that is literally only good for rapid terrain changes or will ping when the ground is closer than what you set it to; and a low power color radar that doesn’t actually show color and we rely on the flashlight effect to know if we’re going to clear terrain. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The mug shot 🤣

That's the kind of shot that paints this kind of picture:

"Uhhh, Eddie...hey Eddie, wake up man, cmon...there ya go..."

"Damn, my head, what the hell...where the fvck am I?!  Is this a fvcking PRISON?!"

"Um, Ed, how much of last night do you remember exactly?"

"Well, I, yeah...oh noooo…"

And I'm really dating myself here (photo below is from the Incredible Hulk TV show, from the late 70s-early 80s...I actually remember this episode), but that photo kind leads me to believe he was one more Jagr shot from a full "Hulk Out":

See the source image

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1