2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I know its great to jump to the conclusion that Kovy sucks now... but we can't make excuses for Jack's low points total on a sh!t team... then turn around and ignore the same situation for Kovy lol 

says who?  Sure we can and some will.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean to be fair to him the Kings are also a big mess so it obviously affected his stats. I mean Coleman has more goals than their top player right now lol he's been fine, even good since he joined MTL who are half decent

I know its great to jump to the conclusion that Kovy sucks now... but we can't make excuses for Jack's low points total on a sh!t team... then turn around and ignore the same situation for Kovy lol 

Well, it’s a little different considering Kovy is old enough to be Jack’s father lol

especially if the whole Russian age thing is true. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, it’s a little different considering Kovy is old enough to be Jack’s father lol

especially if the whole Russian age thing is true. 

Well all know sh!tty teams "typically" affects everyone's stats... if you look at all the Kings players... all their stats dropped drastically in the last 2 years so. Kopitar was their top scorer last year with 60 pts.... after getting 92 the year before.

And i mean Kovy has 10 pts in 13 games since he left.

I mean it may be a craaaaazy coincidence but it's pretty unlikely.

• Like 1

back in our conspiracy theory days, I would say they did this intentionally to have to forfeit their first round pick for the next two years and the league, being in on it, take both picks so we don’t have a second first. 

EDIT: I kept scrolling back, and holy sh!t, they could be financially screwed for it:

Edited by jagknife

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

back in our conspiracy theory days, I would say they did this intentionally to have to forfeit their first round pick for the next two years and the league, being in on it, take both picks so we don’t have a second first. 

EDIT: I kept scrolling back, and holy sh!t, they could be financially screwed for it:

I don't think so. 250k x 20 is like $5m and they probably won't have to pay it in one payment. Even if they do they'll probably finance it or something. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think so. 250k x 20 is like $5m and they probably won't have to pay it in one payment. Even if they do they'll probably finance it or something. 

Yeah I know it’s only $5m, my brain went back in time when the Yotes were a financial black hole and were broke as hell

Speaking of the Yotes...8-11-3 now since acquiring Hall.  Hanging onto that 2nd WC berth, but the teams behind them have multiple games in hand.  

• Like 1

I got bored and decided to have some fun. I took all the team names and switched out the state for city they play in and vice versa. 3 teams were a little tricky as you'll see:

California Ducks
Glendale Coyotes
Massachusetts Bruins
New York Sabres
Alberta Flames
Raleigh Hurricanes
Illinois Blackhawks
Denver Avalanche
Ohio Blue Jackets
Texas Stars
Michigan Red Wings
Alberta Oilers
Sunrise Panthers
California Kings
Saint Paul Wild
Quebec Canadiens
Tennessee Predators
Newark Devils
Brooklyn Islanders / New York City Islanders
Manhattan Rangers / New York City Rangers
Ontario Senators
Pennsylvania Flyers
Pennsylvania Penguins
California Sharks
Missouri Blues
Florida Lightning
Ontario Maple Leafs
British Columbia Canucks
Nevada Golden Knights
District of Columbia Capitals / Maryland/Virginia Capitals
Manitoba Jets

9 hours ago, Max20Characters said:

I got bored and decided to have some fun. I took all the team names and switched out the state for city they play in and vice versa. 3 teams were a little tricky as you'll see:

California Ducks
Glendale Coyotes
Massachusetts Bruins
New York Sabres
Alberta Flames
Raleigh Hurricanes
Illinois Blackhawks
Denver Avalanche
Ohio Blue Jackets
Texas Stars
Michigan Red Wings
Alberta Oilers
Sunrise Panthers
California Kings
Saint Paul Wild
Quebec Canadiens
Tennessee Predators
Newark Devils
Brooklyn Islanders / New York City Islanders
Manhattan Rangers / New York City Rangers
Ontario Senators
Pennsylvania Flyers
Pennsylvania Penguins
California Sharks
Missouri Blues
Florida Lightning
Ontario Maple Leafs
British Columbia Canucks
Nevada Golden Knights
District of Columbia Capitals / Maryland/Virginia Capitals
Manitoba Jets

Shouldn’t Vegas have to randomly drop the first three letters of their location?

Ada Golden Knights 

Reading Habs fans comments about Kovy right now is hilarious and quite interesting.

"he's a real team player"

"he's good for our young guys"

"you can tell he loves hockey and loves playing for MTL"

"he said in an interview he loves to play in MTL so he's going to re-sign with us for sure" 

"he was the missing key to our success"

It's not impossible that he's re-signing there but if ANY better team come asking he'll go there for sure instead IMO. He's likely doing what Radulov did, went to MTL to be in the spotlight to win his next contract then leave

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:54 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of the Yotes...8-11-3 now since acquiring Hall.  Hanging onto that 2nd WC berth, but the teams behind them have multiple games in hand.  

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

Image result for fake sympathy gif

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Reading Habs fans comments about Kovy right now is hilarious and quite interesting.

"he's a real team player"

"he's good for our young guys"

"you can tell he loves hockey and loves playing for MTL"

"he said in an interview he loves to play in MTL so he's going to re-sign with us for sure" 

"he was the missing key to our success"

It's not impossible that he's re-signing there but if ANY better team come asking he'll go there for sure instead IMO. He's likely doing what Radulov did, went to MTL to be in the spotlight to win his next contract then leave

Oh boy you nailed it, he and his agent are really working the PR right now.  

The latest article - something like "I don't want to talk contract extension right now because I don't want to take the focus away from the team" is such colossal bullsh!t.  But their fanbase is eating this sh!t up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh boy you nailed it, he and his agent are really working the PR right now.  

The latest article - something like "I don't want to talk contract extension right now because I don't want to take the focus away from the team" is such colossal bullsh!t.  But their fanbase is eating this sh!t up.

He's a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Sadly, he's still got that marquee name attached to him where he's able to dupe a team (and their fans) into thinking he's genuine, and that he's not selfish and/or a manipulator.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Well other than literally being closer in that his team is in playoff position, anyway. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well other than literally being closer in that his team is in playoff position, anyway. 

I see it's Ballbuster Monday.  😒

They're actually not in a playoff spot at the moment.  They're 1 point out, having played more game as well.  They're 8-11-3 in their last 22, and by all accounts, trending in the wrong direction as we enter the last quarter of the season, i.e. the playoff push. 

Also, comparatively speaking, they have only 11 more points than us, with the Devils having 3 games in hand.  As I had pointed out in another thread last week, if we were to win those games, that lead is just 5 points - pretty insignificant.  

So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, at the moment I'd consider Hall to really not be much better off than when he was with us. 

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

As you've said in the past, it is looking more and more like that MVP year might be the anomaly. I'm sure that a few GMs will throw plenty of money at him but I'm starting to think it won't be the bidding war that his agent was planning on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As you've said in the past, it is looking more and more like that MVP year might be the anomaly. I'm sure that a few GMs will throw plenty of money at him but I'm starting to think it won't be the bidding war that his agent was planning on. 

I doubt that he would take this kind of a risk, but based on this season and last (to be fair, he can still go on a run this season, which would obviously help his value), he might be a solid candidate to take a "Bet on myself", one-year deal with a team looking to get over the hump (but may not have the cap space to pay him a ton)...if he has a big year (staying healthy AND turning in one of his better seasons), he can go UFA again and cash in a lot more than he would this offseason.

BUT, I do think there will still be a GM willing to pony up enough that he won't risk passing up multiple years at nice coin.  But like you said, I don't see this huge bidding war for his services.