2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

Yep.  The guy is still a good player and putting up respectable numbers, but nothing at all quite like that MVP season he had for us.  While he's still a valuable piece on most teams, he doesn't seem like the impact player that moves the needle, so I agree that he's probably not going to get the bidding war that people initially expected.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BUT, I do think there will still be a GM willing to pony up enough that he won't risk passing up multiple years at nice coin.  But like you said, I don't see this huge bidding war for his services.  

Just from the pure entertainment aspect, I wonder if Lou would make a run at him after losing out on Panarin. That could make for some fun Islander-Devils games 

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

You can take Hynes out of Jersey, but he still has zero clue how to manage talented players. Such an incompetent moron.

Has to establish that culture brah, has to reward his hard working grinders brah, has to send the right message brah..

Total joke.  I'd be livid as a Preds fan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Devils PR machine has been doing overtime on trying to promote what swell guys Rooney and Hayden are.  Even the beat writers a few weeks ago were gushing about how nice these guys are despite their play.

I am taking this as an indication of the Devils making some big moves at the deadline.  They want to make sure we know them nice and well since actual good players will be moved.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Devils PR machine has been doing overtime on trying to promote what swell guys Rooney and Hayden are.  Even the beat writers a few weeks ago were gushing about how nice these guys are despite their play.

I am taking this as an indication of the Devils making some big moves at the deadline.  They want to make sure we know them nice and well since actual good players will be moved.

Losing those two wouldn't exactly be a big move

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Losing those two wouldn't exactly be a big move

I'm pretty sure he think the exact opposite...
I may be wrong with my broken english but what i understand is that the Devils PR promote (bad) players that will still be there after the trade deadline ... 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am 100% bracing for Palms, Coleman and Vats being moved.  All of them.

Gotta do what we've gotta do at this point. To me, I wouldn't trade Coleman or Palmieri without a very good return. Those are two guys that give you 100% effort, lead the team in scoring, and provide a "veteran" presence, even though Coleman is a veteran by age only lol. 

Vatanen needs to go if he can't be re-signed, and I imagine that is the case. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Gotta do what we've gotta do at this point. To me, I wouldn't trade Coleman or Palmieri without a very good return. Those are two guys that give you 100% effort, lead the team in scoring, and provide a "veteran" presence, even though Coleman is a veteran by age only lol. 

Vatanen needs to go if he can't be re-signed, and I imagine that is the case. 

I can imagine we get a good return for either since they still have 1 year left on their very team-friendly contracts (especially Coleman).  In a perfect world I wouldn't want to trade a chronic overachiever who does very little wrong as well as a season-in, season-out 30 goal scorer unless the return is completely unreal.  However, I don't think the return will be amazing but I can imagine that they may bring in a little more than what Hall brought back.

The way things are shaping up, neither figure to be in the Devils long-term plans so this is where we are.  I like both players and hate the fact that we have to do this, hate the idea of going through another rebuild, and hate the fact that we are still as far away as the playoffs as we were 5 years ago.  However, this is where we are and this is what we need to do.  For everything Shero did well I just wish he would have went all the way with a complete teardown instead of the 2/3 one he did.

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

At the very least they will be moved up a line after it is all said and done.

I am 100% bracing for Palms, Coleman and Vats being moved.  All of them.

I can handle Vats being moved, though I'm not opposed to keeping him.

I will be plenty pissed if Coleman and/or Palms are moved.  They both produce and give a pro's effort every game.  They are still young enough to be solid vets here for a while.  And there's cap room to keep them.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I will be plenty pissed if Coleman and/or Palms are moved.  They both produce and give a pro's effort every game.  They are still young enough to be solid vets here for a while.  And there's cap room to keep them.  

I'm not averse to trading Coleman or Palms, but either would have to be for a return that's too good to say no to.  I would not do it for what the Penguins gave up (lottery protected pick from a good team and a looks good now but still maybe-ish defensive prospect).

I would try and target a really desperate team like Buffalo.  It would not shock me at all if they'd be willing to give up their first (unprotected) this year or perhaps Dylan Cozens for either Palms or Coleman.  Maybe something else needs to get added to balance it out in one direction or the other.  It sounded like Buffalo was prepared to overpay for Zucker, but they were apparently on his no trade list.  Palms and Coleman are better players than Zucker, Zucker just has the better contract.

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To me Palms and Coleman are exactly the kind of guys you want as this team restarts a rebuild. They just seem like great examples for young players to look at, plus they are part of a very small group on this team that actually puts up consistent goals and points. 

But I unfortunately understand that you have to make the move if someone blows your doors off with an offer

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1