2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

It is very optimistic.  This is essentially hoping that every domino falls the right way.  I don't want that thin of a margin for error. 

The team has drafted better under Shero, but not significantly better if you take out the 2 first overalls.  We need to continue to re-stock the prospect pool and land on some of our picks sooner rather than later.  I want to maximize our chances of finally hitting on our picks rather than keeping guys around while we are still trying to get good only for them to be good players on a bad team for an indefinite amount of time.

I still say hang onto them...if they are still producing 2-3 years into their new contracts, and the team is still looking shaky otherwise (God I hope not), you can move them...sure, they could have NTCs, but we won't know that until they actually sign...even though they'd be older, they'd be cost-controlled.  That's a risk too, but one I'm willing to take.  

Of course, if either or both simply do not want to stay here past the end of next season...yeah, gotta move them.  But I would really like them to stick around.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still say hang onto them...if they are still producing 2-3 years into their new contracts, and the team is still looking shaky otherwise (God I hope not), you can move them...sure, they could have NTCs, but we won't know that until they actually sign...even though they'd be older, they'd be cost-controlled.  That's a risk too, but one I'm willing to take.  

Of course, if either or both simply do not want to stay here past the end of next season...yeah, gotta move them.  But I would really like them to stick around.  

That's based on a lot of assumptions though.  We don't know how long or how much their contracts will be for.  It is indeed more likely that they will have NTC and more likely than not they will eventually slow down at some point in their contract.  But why risk all this?  I don't want to see a 35 year old Palmieri earning $7M+ per scoring 15ish goals a season.

In the past month I have went from viewing a team that has some defects to now a team that is rotten to the core.  The Shero rebuild has been a failure.  I think a lot of it has to do with him refusing to do a complete teardown and going just most, but not all of the way.

Edited by DevsMan84

14 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I think we need guys that are personal to this team, we should hold on to Kyle and Blake and even have them share captaincy responsibilities with Nico next year. 

I generally agree, except at some point there are offers that you can't say no to and that you might end up not being able to hold onto one or both of them anyway. 

And there are free agents you can bring in this offseason that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg who can fulfill leadership roles.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have already written off the next 2-3 years as more rebuilding years due to the fallout of Shero's tenure.

Well sadly, you’re right on this one. It’s gonna take a while to rebuild that defense and find some decent depth up front. And goaltending depth. Ugh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well sadly, you’re right on this one. It’s gonna take a while to rebuild that defense and find some decent depth up front. And goaltending depth. Ugh. 

It's a bad spot for sure.  This is why I want to move away from what we have now sooner rather than later.  We are missing more pieces than we have so that's why I am in favor in going all out.

I really do like Coleman and Palmieri.  They will be remembered as good players who played for bad teams.  I just don't want them to stick around for simply being good troopers.

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't think that's a foregone conclusion.  There will be proven coaches available this offseason.  There's a good chance that Nico and Hughes both get significantly better next year, although I'll feel better about Jack if he goes on some sort of run to end the season.  There should be a number of proven solid defensemen and goalies available in free agency this summer that a good proven coaching staff could get a lot out of in addition to the defensemen we have who at the very least have shown that they can play in the league.  And we could get very very lucky and get one of the top two picks. 

I think the team doesn't see things as hopeless either, otherwise you wouldn't hear about making "hockey trades."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Doubt whatever we may get for Blake Coleman will be better than what Blake Coleman is giving us. I doubt anyone's going to give us a first-round pick and let's be honest we kind of need players that actually want to be here which seem to be few and far between. 

Zucker trade has me encouraged. 

Boyle also surprised us by netting us a 2nd round pick for him.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I don't think that's a foregone conclusion.  There will be proven coaches available this offseason.  There's a good chance that Nico and Hughes both get significantly better next year, although I'll feel better about Jack if he goes on some sort of run to end the season.  There should be a number of proven solid defensemen and goalies available in free agency this summer that a good proven coaching staff could get a lot out of in addition to the defensemen we have who at the very least have shown that they can play in the league.  And we could get very very lucky and get one of the top two picks. 

I think the team doesn't see things as hopeless either, otherwise you wouldn't hear about making "hockey trades."

I am not close to hitting the panic button on him yet.  However, he does have me concerned.  He is on his way to ending up with getting less points than bust legend Nail Yakupov.  For a guy who is touted as being better than Nico no one can convince/tell me with a straight face that it's not at least mildly concerning at all.

I get that it is not all his fault (playing a majority of the season with Wood, Zacha and Simmonds doesn't help) and he does have alright underlying numbers, but you would think he would be a little bit more dynamic than what he has shown so far.

If he doesn't work out then getting anything and everything in trades will be at a premium.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not close to hitting the panic button on him yet.  However, he does have me concerned.  He is on his way to ending up with getting less points than bust legend Nail Yakupov.  For a guy who is touted as being better than Nico no one can convince/tell me with a straight face that it's not at least mildly concerning at all.

I get that it is not all his fault (playing a majority of the season with Wood, Zacha and Simmonds doesn't help) and he does have alright underlying numbers, but you would think he would be a little bit more dynamic than what he has shown so far.

If he doesn't work out then getting anything and everything in trades will be at a premium.

Nail Yakupov actually had a pretty decent 1st season (17 G 14 A 31 P in 48 GP *shortened season).

It was everything after that made him a bust. Let’s get Jack’s literal growing pains out of the way and see how he’s doing in a couple years at 20. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If the Zucker trade is any indication, we could get something halfway decent.

I have already written off the next 2-3 years as more rebuilding years due to the fallout of Shero's tenure.

By the time we are good either 1) his contract would be up or 2) he wouldn't be nearly as effective as he is now.

Thanks, but no thanks to that.

1) If he’s willing to re-sign, that problem is solved, and 

2) I don’t know how you would know that, but even if it’s true, even with a big raise, he’s still making peanuts, giving your team a little life, and he’s a veteran presence plus alt captain material. 

I’d rather have all of that over crap plus a 3rd two years from now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The only thing scarier than this is if the game would have been in Philly...

Don't we all know the fans would have probably booed and throw sh!t on the ice cause the game was cancelled. I mean they fvcking booed a hockey for cancer thing once.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Heard this late last night.  Hope he's OK.  Always scary when these things happen suddenly without warning.  I'm a little shocked that the postponed the entire game.  Not at all against it of course, it's completely understandable, I just thought that when stuff like this happens all of the players and staff are of course shaken, but somehow they usually continue and play on.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ya, stopping the game is ridiculous. He collapsed on the bench, not even the ice.  What's the difference between this and someone getting their head rammed into the boards? Both are life threatening but the game continues for the second one.

This is a business FFS, on with the gaddam show

??????

Too soon maybe but Seth Jones and Bouwmeester out.....ladies and gentleman, Sami Vatanen come on down.....

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ya, stopping the game is ridiculous. He collapsed on the bench, not even the ice.  What's the difference between this and someone getting their head rammed into the boards? Both are life threatening but the game continues for the second one.

I think there's a major difference between an injury that's caused by a hockey play and teammates thinking they just saw a guy maybe have a stroke and die.

I don't know how teams go about it and I'm sure they charge because they are cheap like that but my only issue would be is that they should offer free parking for the makeup game.

At least they didn't cancel the game because the lights went off in the building and they couldn't get them back on lol

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I think they could’ve continued, but it’s a certainty not offensive that they did not. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think they could’ve continued, but it’s a certainty not offensive that they did not. 

Well, it would be offensive to fans who forked out a ton of cash and brought their kids, etc, then had to leave after not even one period.

And yes, I'm sure they will get in to the make up game for free but time is still lost.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Well, it would be offensive to fans who forked out a ton of cash and brought their kids, etc, then had to leave after not even one period.

And yes, I'm sure they will get in to the make up game for free but time is still lost.

They will get tickets to the make up game or another game for free.

I really don't think you can compare someone crashing into the boards to a guy who was receiving CPR on the bench. 

• Like 2