2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Another reason I hate the shootout. The whole “slow approach” concept is lame and should be barred. 

Agreed.  I think it's absolutely unfair to the goalies when a player creeps in and almost comes to a complete stop.  I don't know how you can mandate some level of "minimum sustained speed" rule, but it should be enforced beyond the current rule today which says you need to keep constant motion or momentum or whatever it is. 

16 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Recognise this guy? Absolutely outrageous!!!!!

Unbelievable.  There are two things I don't think I'll ever get over - 1) How Ari Ahonen was at one point projected to be like the next greatest goalie of all time, and he did absolutely nothing, and 2) Josefson and Tedenby both, around the same time as each other, were projected to be flashy and creative superstars (think Datsyuk-like), and not one both BOTH of them fizzled out and didn't do anything either.  I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in 3 players than those guys. 

And now having to watch this wizard do stuff like that in a way lesser league...just goes to show some guys are good in the shootout but not good hockey players. 

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed.  I think it's absolutely unfair to the goalies when a player creeps in and almost comes to a complete stop.  I don't know how you can mandate some level of "minimum sustained speed" rule, but it should be enforced beyond the current rule today which says you need to keep constant motion or momentum or whatever it is. 

Agreed, it wouldn’t be possible to enforce unless you put in a shot clock, but you’re talking about a second or two of wiggle room. 

The best way would be to end the hockey game with hockey instead of a skills competition, but that’s not happening either. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The best way would be to end the hockey game with hockey instead of a skills competition, but that’s not happening either. 

I know, what a concept, right? 

While we're on the subject, I will say that I like that continuous overtime is exclusive to the playoffs.  I think the NBA does multiple overtimes in the regulation season until there's a winner, and while I'm not sure how often that actually happens, I don't want to see it in the NHL.  I think it's special that in playoff hockey you play until there's a winner because, well, there has to be.  In the regular season I don't think it matters as much, which is why to this day I still don't really understand why it's so terrible to have ties.  Let them play a period of OT to see if 5 more minutes would help declare a winner - keep it 3 on 3 with lots of open space to help incentivize the chance of a goal, but if that doesn't happen, then oh well, they tied.  So what?   If you ask me, that just means that the teams were evenly matched, and if they end up meeting in the playoffs, then we'll be in for a treat if they end up deadlocked again, and we'll get to see them battle it out until only one is left standing. 

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know, what a concept, right? 

While we're on the subject, I will say that I like that continuous overtime is exclusive to the playoffs.  I think the NBA does multiple overtimes in the regulation season until there's a winner, and while I'm not sure how often that actually happens, I don't want to see it in the NHL.  I think it's special that in playoff hockey you play until there's a winner because, well, there has to be.  In the regular season I don't think it matters as much, which is why to this day I still don't really understand why it's so terrible to have ties.  Let them play a period of OT to see if 5 more minutes would help declare a winner - keep it 3 on 3 with lots of open space to help incentivize the chance of a goal, but if that doesn't happen, then oh well, they tied.  So what?   If you ask me, that just means that the teams were evenly matched, and if they end up meeting in the playoffs, then we'll be in for a treat if they end up deadlocked again, and we'll get to see them battle it out until only one is left standing. 

I never had much of a beef with ties either.  Sometimes they felt like wins (if you fought back) or losses (if you blew a nice lead)...and sometimes they felt like...well, simply well-earned ties, where two teams battled to a draw, fair and square.  

I was never on board with the shootout, from Day 1.  Especially since it's kinda random if you have players who happen to be good at it.  Not like if it's a weakness (say, like scoring or defense), that a GM is going to try to find good shootout players (who may not offer much else) to improve his team's shootout performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, it wouldn’t be possible to enforce unless you put in a shot clock, but you’re talking about a second or two of wiggle room. 

I wish they would at least add another 5 minutes. 10 minutes of 3 on 3 should at least cut down the amount of games that go to shootouts and it isn't an unreasonable amount of time to add to the game in terms of keeping everyone in the building longer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe how many coaches have been fired this season, not to mention that a lot of them are fairly well known names and guys who were, at least at one point, thought highly of.  Hynes, DeBoer, Laviolette, Gallant, Babcock, Peters, Montgomery, Boudreau. 

And our coach is still a dude named Elaine lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe how many coaches have been fired this season, not to mention that a lot of them are fairly well known names and guys who were, at least at one point, thought highly of.  Hynes, DeBoer, Laviolette, Gallant, Babcock, Peters, Montgomery, Boudreau. 

Tied for the most in one season

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Well that's when you prononce his name wrong lol It shouldnt sound close to Elaine at all. haha

What's the correct pronunciation?  Just curious.  

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I had tickets to the game tomorrow with a group of us from out here, had to sell them due to no babysitter and my car also decided to take a dump.

I’m really jealous/upset that I can’t go. Looks like an awesome set up.

I'm sorry to hear that.   It's a gorgeous campus and setting for a game.   We drove through several years ago to see chapel (I'm an architect) and swung by the stadium.   

I've always thought the NHL was missing an opportunity by not doing a game at Folsom Field in Boulder.   That would make for the perfect winter aerial shots.  

Folsom Field .jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I'm sorry to hear that.   It's a gorgeous campus and setting for a game.   We drove through several years ago to see chapel (I'm an architect) and swung by the stadium.   

I've always thought the NHL was missing an opportunity by not doing a game at Folsom Field in Boulder.   That would make for the perfect winter aerial shots.  

Folsom Field .jpg

Nice photo, but I can't help but think it looks like the town in Willy Wonka when the elevator crashes through the roof and they're over top the city and all the buildings have red roofs.  

• Haha 3