2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Rags beat the Caps in OT on the back of a 5 goal game by Zibanejad. Him and Panarin are really carrying them right now. Both them Philly and playing so well is really making me want this season to end even more than I already did. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Rags beat the Caps in OT on the back of a 5 goal game by Zibanejad. Him and Panarin are really carrying them right now. Both them Philly and playing so well is really making me want this season to end even more than I already did. 

The "better" the Rangers and Philly are doing now the best. Well on paper anyway.

We know they are not good enough to win the cup now. So in an ideal world their older guys in their primes will slow down, impact them negatively. Kreider re-signing there is also good for us long-term. And them being a bubble team should technically get them worst players through the draft. 

So by the time we are ready to contend well they might not be in the way as much

Zibanejad’s career high in points before last year was 51. He was on some bad teams, but also a bit of a late bloomer. We just gave to hope our kids breakout at some point like that, too. 

It just sucks because it looks like Panarin is finally going to be a FA that completely works out for the Rags. Had to happen at some point I guess. 

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

This this a hundred times this. I want to print this and frame it. 

I know, rebuilds take time, yadda yadda. If the best thing we have out of the last 5 years is "well at the least the rangers playoff run probably won't be very fruitful" then its been a wasted 5 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

Yet our fans were crying in their pillows when a guy who has never scored more than 36 points in a season was traded while calling a 55-point guy as too valuable to trade.

This is why I advocated for a complete teardown before the deadline.  The Rangers did it last season (or was it the season before?) where they wrote a letter to fans saying that they are tearing down the building and completely re-starting.

The Devils need to do the same and get the suck-stink out of the locker room and fast.

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This this a hundred times this. I want to print this and frame it. 

I know, rebuilds take time, yadda yadda. If the best thing we have out of the last 5 years is "well at the least the rangers playoff run probably won't be very fruitful" then its been a wasted 5 years. 

I am constantly being told that 5 years is unrealistic and then I look at the Rangers and see otherwise.  I know they aren't winning the cup, but they seem to be way ahead of us in much shorter time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am constantly being told that 5 years is unrealistic and then I look at the Rangers and see otherwise.  I know they aren't winning the cup, but they seem to be way ahead of us in much shorter time.

When you make a deal like Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard and a 7th, Fall into the likes of Fox and Panarin and then are able to trade guys like Hayes and Zuccarello for what they did, it is easy to rebuild quicker.  When they decided to rebuild, they still had a decent team.  When we decided to rebuild, we had scraps.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Devils need to do the same and get the suck-stink out of the locker room and fast.

Didn't we just do that?  I mean, there's only like 5 players still on the team from literally just two years ago when we last made the playoffs.  TWO YEARS.  It's incredible. You can't trade or cut every single player from your team after every season.  It's not a very good idea, and it's just not even possible anyway. 

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah this idea that you need to be garbage for a decade with no signs of improvement until the team is "ready" is just plain silly. We can still build and maybe look competitive once in a while. Maybe after 5 years, having a season that isn't over in October isn't that much to ask

• Like 2

Just now, CMONPETEYD said:

When you make a deal like Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard and a 7th, Fall into the likes of Fox and Panarin and then are able to trade guys like Hayes and Zuccarello for what they did, it is easy to rebuild quicker.  When they decided to rebuild, they still had a decent team.  When we decided to rebuild, we had scraps.

We still had Palmieri and I guess Wood.  The former would have brought back a good haul.  I guess 55 points is too much to lose for this team.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Didn't we just do that?  I mean, there's only like 5 players still on the team from literally just two years ago when we last made the playoffs.  TWO YEARS.  It's incredible. You can't trade or cut every single player from your team after every season.  It's not a very good idea, and it's just not even possible anyway. 

See above with Palmieri

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah this idea that you need to be garbage for a decade with no signs of improvement until the team is "ready" is just plain silly. We can still build and maybe look competitive once in a while. Maybe after 5 years, having a season that isn't over in October isn't that much to ask

Nah, as long as we accumulate picks and prospects year after year we should be good.  Screw the results in the NHL.  It's all about the perpetual acquisition of "assets" and having our prospect pool look good on paper.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

We still had Palmieri and I guess Wood.  The former would have brought back a good haul.  I guess 55 points is too much to lose for this team.

See above with Palmieri

Not really sure what you mean... 55 points is too much to lose for this team.  And that's not even what the Rangers did anyway.  Sure they may have turned over a fair amount of their roster and accelerated their rebuild, but there's definitely a chunk of guys still there, and have been there for a while.   Buchnevich is in his 4th season...Fast is in his 7th season...Krieder is in his 8th season...Marc Staal is in his 13th season... Brendan Smith is in his 4th season...

So, yeah, we barely have guys who have been on the team 2-3 years, and they have a handful that have been at least 4, and others, as I pointed out, that have been there much longer.  So it's not really fair or accurate to say that they rebooted their entire roster and we didn't.  

On the Thursday episode of Chiclets, they were talking about the CHL-NHL agreement which is expiring and no extension is in the works yet. The big thing that could become an issue is the removal of the rule that prevents CHL guys from “graduating” to the AHL before they age out of the CHL. They were in favor of it, especially since it doesn’t help development of guys to just dominate juniors or struggle in the NHL, they should have some intermediary option.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not really sure what you mean... 55 points is too much to lose for this team.  And that's not even what the Rangers did anyway.  Sure they may have turned over a fair amount of their roster and accelerated their rebuild, but there's definitely a chunk of guys still there, and have been there for a while.   Buchnevich is in his 4th season...Fast is in his 7th season...Krieder is in his 8th season...Marc Staal is in his 13th season... Brendan Smith is in his 4th season...

So, yeah, we barely have guys who have been on the team 2-3 years, and they have a handful that have been at least 4, and others, as I pointed out, that have been there much longer.  So it's not really fair or accurate to say that they rebooted their entire roster and we didn't.  

Four of their top 5 guys points-wise on their team were not a Ranger before 2016-17 season.  If you want to go further then 8 of their top 10 scoring guys were not on the Rangers prior to 2016-17 season.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Well the big difference is Panarin. There is really nothing the Devils can do about top FA’s not wanting to sign there. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well the big difference is Panarin. There is really nothing the Devils can do about top FA’s not wanting to sign there. 

He is the only UFA signing from the their top 5 scorers (who all have more points than Palms).

Out of the other 4, three are from trades and 1 was drafted by the Rangers.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

He is the only UFA signing from the their top 5 scorers (who all have more points than Palms).

The Rags don’t even sniff a playoff spot without Panarin. Period. We might be a bubble team too if we had a 90 point player right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The thing that irks me a little, yeah we didn’t want to overspend for guys two summers ago, but I remember Ray openly saying he didn’t even call certain UFAs. Again, some could have been overpayments, especially based on their performances with their new teams, but to not even reach out was stupid. 

Ray was solid for trades, but it definitely seems as though he couldn’t sell the team to UFAs. Sure we’ll be in the Rags’ shadow, but other than the team being bad, the GM needs to be able to entice free agents. Here’s to hoping Fitz, or his replacement, can.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Our coaches have a sh!t system, too, it’s no secret.

The Rangers have completed their rebuild despite the fact that Chtyil is their only draft pick from the past three years that's really making anything close to an impact.  They're only going to get better as Kakko laps the invisible boy Hughes and K'Andre Miller turns out to be the superior defenseman to Ty Smith. 

Everything the Devils have been doing is wrong, and it's not a coincidence that it started when analytics dopes took over the franchise.  Maybe we get new owners who proceed to toss Dellow and Cain out of the building Victor Maitland style.   Sadly that's not going to happen, and Mike Yeo is going to be our next coach and a useless non-entity in Mike Gillis is going to be the GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

The Rangers have completed their rebuild despite the fact that Chtyil is their only draft pick from the past three years that's really making anything close to an impact.  They're only going to get better as Kakko laps the invisible boy Hughes and K'Andre Miller turns out to be the superior defenseman to Ty Smith. 

Everything the Devils have been doing is wrong, and it's not a coincidence that it started when analytics dopes took over the franchise.  Maybe we get new owners who proceed to toss Dellow and Cain out of the building Victor Maitland style.   Sadly that's not going to happen, and Mike Yeo is going to be our next coach and a useless non-entity in Mike Gillis is going to be the GM.

This is hysterical. Mr “played against men” is tied in points (on a way better team with 5 more games played) with our guy who everyone in the hockey world said would need some time to reach his true potential. Kakko has been a far bigger disappointment based on expectations. Idc who went 1st and who went 2nd. 

You guys are too much. 

• Like 4