2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Just now, Nicomo said:

This is hysterical. Mr “played against men” is tied in points (on a way better team with 5 more games played) with our guy who everyone in the hockey world said would need some time to reach his true potential. Kakko has been a far bigger disappointment based on expectations. Idc who went 1st and who went 2nd. 

You guys are too much. 

Kakko has not been given the opportunities that Hughes have precisely because Kakko has better forwards he's competing for ice time with. 

Hughes is the next Yakupov.  Kakko will be the next Draisatl.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The thing that irks me a little, yeah we didn’t want to overspend for guys two summers ago, but I remember Ray openly saying he didn’t even call certain UFAs. Again, some could have been overpayments, especially based on their performances with their new teams, but to not even reach out was stupid. 

Ray was solid for trades, but it definitely seems as though he couldn’t sell the team to UFAs. Sure we’ll be in the Rags’ shadow, but other than the team being bad, the GM needs to be able to entice free agents. Here’s to hoping Fitz, or his replacement, can.

Our coaches have a sh!t system, too, it’s no secret.

I don't think Scotty Bowman can turn Palmieri into a 60+ point guy consistently.

At some point you got to lay the blame at the feet of the players.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Kakko has not been given the opportunities that Hughes have precisely because Kakko has better forwards he's competing for ice time with. 

LMAO

Kakko is averaging 14:24 minutes a game (Hughes 16:00), and has been on the PP all season. He’s hardly being held back. 

He was supposed to have an IMMEDIATE impact coming into the league. To suggest he hasn’t been more disappointing than Hughes is disingenuous, and typical doom and gloom grass is always greener bullsh!t. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think Scotty Bowman can turn Palmieri into a 60+ point guy consistently.

At some point you got to lay the blame at the feet of the players.

Well tbf it’s probably more a case of Palms being asked to do too much. He’d be a perfect 2nd line RW. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're absolutely reversing the words that pretty much every professional hockey analyst had going into this season. 

It was well known that Hughes was going to take more time to develop but probably had a higher ceiling, but that Kaako would hit his slightly lower ceiling sooner because he's pLaYeD wItH mEn more. 

I'm a little disappointed in Hughes so far. I wanted to see a little more. But to decide not only that he's a total bust, but also that Kaako is going to be one of the best in the league based on what we've seen is doom and gloom nonsense. No one is happy with the team right now other than a few Shero apologists, but this is going off the deep end level stuff 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

Speaking of...

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-jack-hughes-looking-for-improvement/c-315916930

Parts I find particularly relevant:

"I'm not a great player in this League yet ... not even close. But I'm 18 years old and have a lot of room to grow."

Nice to see him own up to it. I have no doubt he’ll do what it takes to improve. 

The forward entered the League to much publicity after becoming the first player from the USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team to go directly from the draft to playing in the NHL. (The program's first season was 1997-98.)

This really cannot be overstated. Call it an excuse if you want, but it’s a huge deal, and is exactly why he was projected to need some time to flourish. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Zibanejad, the Rangers got him by trading Brassard and a 7th rounder for him.  Meanwhile, Palmieri couldn't seem to get anything remotely close to that sort of offer from the responses that Fitz made and Palmieri is fairly comparable (well at the time).

My question is, why does the Rangers seem to get actual NHL players in their trades with other teams while the Devils are stuck with prospects and even more picks?  Is that on the level of talent on us or that our GM's don't know what they are doing?

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

i get it.

But not all rebuild are the same either. It sucks to give them credits but they do deserve some credits along a lot of luck.

First, few years ago they realized they were not going to get better keeping things the way they were and that they were trending down so they made a long-term decision and announced to the fans they were rebuilding. And they traded some big players that still had value then and got good value out of them and they drafted well in the last decade. They didn't wait til their team was way too old and deprived of assets like we did. They had a way way bette headstart to their rebuild than we did. 

Then they had the luxury of having one of the best player in the NHL signing there and only there. VS us having one of the best player in the NHL wanting to leave. And of course they fvcking land 2 great young goalies when they already had one. And then other teams trading with them where they get an amazing deal. fvck off honestly. Their fans probably don't even understand how lucky they are. 

But yeah, again. It sucks to admit but on top of the incredible luck they got, they also managed their rebuild really well

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i get it.

But not all rebuild are the same either. It sucks to give them credits but they do deserve some credits along a lot of luck.

First, few years ago they realized they were not going to get better keeping things the way they were and that they were trending down so they made a long-term decision and announced to the fans they were rebuilding. And they traded some big players that still had value then and got good value out of them and they drafted well in the last decade. They didn't wait til their team was way too old and deprived of assets like we did. They had a way way bette headstart to their rebuild than we did. 

Then they had the luxury of having one of the best player in the NHL signing there and only there. VS us having one of the best player in the NHL wanting to leave. And of course they fvcking land 2 great young goalies when they already had one. And then other teams trading with them where they get an amazing deal. fvck off honestly. Their fans probably don't even understand how lucky they are. 

But yeah, again. It sucks to admit but on top of the incredible luck they got, they also managed their rebuild really well

Realizing that having good players and good coaching is how you win and not having a preposterous notion that there is a theoretical value that is attached to someone's cap hit has nothing to do with luck.  Unfortunately, Messrs. Dellow and Cain, who now run the Devils, believe the latter is true.   It's why both of them were failures before they got here and will continue to be so.

Edited by Daniel

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Realizing that having good players and good coaching is how you win and not having a preposterous notion that there is a theoretical value that is attached to someone's cap hit has nothing to do with luck.  Unfortunately, Messrs. Dellow and Cain, who now run the Devils, believe the latter is true.   It's why both of them were failures before they got here and will continue to be so.

Yeah the whole analytics team having more power than it should and the owners buying it is really worrying me. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

i get it.

They made that announcement to fans in February of 2018.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/a-message-from-glen-sather-and-jeff-gorton-about-our-team/c-295742648

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah and the summer before they traded Nash, McDonagh, Miller, Stepan, Raanta, Grabner.. bought out Girardi. All those guys still had value.

Next summer they traded Skjei and Vesey. Bought out Shattenkirk. Flipped one of the first rounder they got for Trouba.

That's all good management

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah and the summer before they traded Nash, McDonagh, Miller, Stepan, Raanta, Grabner.. bought out Girardi. All those guys still had value.

Next summer they traded Skjei and Vesey. Bought out Shattenkirk. Flipped one of the first rounder they got for Trouba.

That's all good management

lol yup.  Meanwhile ours are hanging onto Palmieri for dear life.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol yup.  Meanwhile ours are hanging onto Palmieri for dear life.

Barring the overpayment which apparently never came, what they would have gotten for Palmieri probably wouldn't make much of a difference, especially given the possibility of already having three first rounders.  Shero played the wheeling and dealing game well and it looks like Fitzgerald can do it too.  And I have a bit more faith that Fitzgerald has a better idea of how to build a team that wins than Shero ever did.

What is slowly happening before our eyes is the team is being turned over to two people who for all I know have never put on ice skates in their lives.  A couple of low rent imitation Theo Epsteins. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Barring the overpayment which apparently never came, what they would have gotten for Palmieri probably wouldn't make much of a difference, especially given the possibility of already having three first rounders.  Shero played the wheeling and dealing game well and it looks like Fitzgerald can do it too.  And I have a bit more faith that Fitzgerald has a better idea of how to build a team that wins than Shero ever did.

What is slowly happening before our eyes is the team is being turned over to two people who for all I know have never put on ice skates in their lives.  A couple of low rent imitation Theo Epsteins. 

Look on the bright side, we will have the best arsenal of weaponized cap space in the league going into this off-season.

• Shocking 1

6 hours ago, titans04 said:

Don't be hard on our best player Palms he's only 9 points behind DeAngelo on the season.

Nothing to see here.

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fixed that.

Let's not forget Hughes has 52 points as well this season!!

Quinn that is.

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Let's not forget Hughes has 52 points as well this season!!

Quinn that is.

And Quinn was playing against college kids that couldn’t dream of being in the NHL at Jack’s age. 

*context*

• Like 1

ha? 

so in his rookie season (minus 5 games last year) he has 52 points this season playing defense.  I'm sorry I miss your point here it's even more remarkable to me after playing against lower competition if that's what your saying?