2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

So much this.  Lou has ALWAYS been a lousy interview...GMs tend to be in general (stock answer:  if there's a move out there that makes sense for our team, we'll explore it), but Lou often has a way of giving you even less than nothing.  His interviews with Mike and the Mad Dog were occasionally amusing, in that it was clear that Lou knew that neither one of them knew anything about hockey or the Devils, so he clearly had some contempt for them that he didn't really try to hide much.  

As Neil Smith has shown, some former GMs do eventually give you quite a bit (DM84 saw him speak at jersey expo and he had a LOT to say), but only after they've retired, and no longer have anything to lose by spilling.  

On 3/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, mfitz804 said:

This looks pretty real. 

The best part about that hit is that it's 1,000% clean.  Stevens doesn't leave his feet at all, and he just straight up shoulders the guy with  force.  No hit to the head, no elbow, none of that.  Just pure body on body contact, leaning in with the shoulder, and the smaller Domi goes flying.  Love it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

"Sticking to your need(s) and seeking the player(s) that you feel could fill them. If you can fill them, you do so. If you cannot, you never do something just for the fact of doing something. "

This is LAUGHABLE considering Lou's final seasons here

• Like 4

Listening to Pierre Lebrun on PP on XM  & NHL brass feels the priority is to have a full season next year. (rather than jumping through hoops to complete this one.) Because everyones scared that many seats won't be sold due to so many folks being out of work so long , and  that the recovery with take a couple years. Should they have awards with an incomplete season?  

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Listening to Pierre Lebrun on PP on XM  & NHL brass feels the priority is to have a full season next year. (rather than jumping through hoops to complete this one.) Because everyones scared that many seats won't be sold due to so many folks being out of work so long , and  that the recovery with take a couple years. Should they have awards with an incomplete season?  

Yea, they did during the lock out shortened seasons which were shorter than what we played this year.

• Like 1

That's not even really the nose though...isn't that like more of the forehead?  To me the nose is more towards the point/tip of the head.  I agree most logos and uniform designs nowadays usually leave a lot to be desired, but with this particular one I don't think I really would have noticed it or associated it that way unless someone else mentioned it.

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's not even really the nose though...isn't that like more of the forehead?  To me the nose is more towards the point/tip of the head.  I agree most logos and uniform designs nowadays usually leave a lot to be desired, but with this particular one I don't think I really would have noticed it or associated it that way unless someone else mentioned it.

Yup, he has balls for a forehead. 

Per Icethetics, looks like nearly all teams are getting an alternate or “fourth jersey” next season.

https://www.icethetics.com/jerseywatch-2020

This has been discussed over the past few weeks on a jersey collecting forum I am in and it is consistent.  Looks like there will be a standard template that all teams will follow and can be indeed described as “throwback with a twist.”

• Angry 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yup, he has balls for a forehead. 

i mean... honestly it's not as blatant as some are suggesting. Also by the same standards..one could make an argument that the J in the NJ logo looks muchhh more like an actual dick... round balls at the top... a curvy shaft and the head at the end..

Good thing is ours is way longer tho 😎

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I saw someone online once say the Blackhawks logo has a set of elongated balls in the chief’s hair and I will never be able to unsee it...

still think they have the best jerseys though. 

These were the original prototypes for the KC Scouts jerseys (could've been when they were still trying to push through the MO-hawks nickname...the "MO" was capitalized to show that that KC was in Missouri as well as Kansas...this nickname was obviously shot down by the Black Hawks (back then it was two words).  As one would expect, this jersey was also objected to by the Black Hawks...was a pretty cool-looking jersey though:

See the source image

14 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Per Icethetics, looks like nearly all teams are getting an alternate or “fourth jersey” next season.

https://www.icethetics.com/jerseywatch-2020

This has been discussed over the past few weeks on a jersey collecting forum I am in and it is consistent.  Looks like there will be a standard template that all teams will follow and can be indeed described as “throwback with a twist.”

Ugh I don't wanna see this trash. There especially better not be some bullsh!t KC Scouts or Colorado Rockies jerseys. fvck outta here with that garbage. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ugh I don't wanna see this trash. There especially better not be some bullsh!t KC Scouts or Colorado Rockies jerseys. fvck outta here with that garbage. 

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge on which to base this, but I could see a primarily green Devils jersey (maybe based on the whites and greens on the current Retros swapping places as a starting point, with, say, a string tie instead of the current neck...not saying that I would love that, but at least the colors would have some relevance) before going back to the Scouts or Rockies.  

There actually was a time (maybe 10-12 years ago) that the idea of suiting up in Rockies uniforms for one game per year kinda-sorta appealed to me...but not anymore.  You've now got two sets of Devils retros that you can wear...the old red and greens (which we've obviously seen), and the original red and blacks.  That's as far back as I care to go.  Seeing the now "retro" red and blacks make an appearance would be painful, because that "Didn't need to fvck with it" design would just remind me how superior that was to what they wear now. 

• Like 2

I love our retro uni's when we where them.  I guess they're considered our 3rd jerseys? Somebody did a really cool 3rd jersey that was posted here from twitter. Of course our logo but the design was morel like Hawks jersey w/ our colors.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, vadvlfan said:

I love our retro uni's when we where them.  I guess they're considered our 3rd jerseys? Somebody did a really cool 3rd jersey that was posted here from twitter. Of course our logo but the design was morel like Hawks jersey w/ our colors.

I love our white 3rd jerseys. The red and green not so much.

Gonna be one of the weirdos sayin this, but I do not miss the bottom stripes at all and think the new jerseys look great. 

11 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I love our white 3rd jerseys. The red and green not so much.

Gonna be one of the weirdos sayin this, but I do not miss the bottom stripes at all and think the new jerseys look great. 

Yeah me too (re:  the bolded), just wish they'd stop sucking in them.

The truncated shoulder yokes and floatie sleeve stripes bother me more than the deleted bottom stripe.  If the Devils went to a wider yoke and sleeve stripes more in line with the previous design, I could live with the bottom stripe being missing (though I'd sign up for a return of the old red and blacks right now).  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah me too (re:  the bolded), just wish they'd stop sucking in them.

The truncated shoulder yokes and floatie sleeve stripes bother me more than the deleted bottom stripe.  If the Devils went to a wider yoke and sleeve stripes more in line with the previous design, I could live with the bottom stripe being missing (though I'd sign up for a return of the old red and blacks right now).  

agree with the shoulder thing. should round it off. it does look weird. 

Edited by pumpkin cutter
  • Like 1