2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

There's going to be interest in Dustin Byfuglien. He will command a pretty good price I'm sure. I know he's 36 but maybe still has a little in the tank?  My 1st thoughts are he'll want to go to an annual contender. But not many have cap room unless they do a lot of tap dancing. (Bolts/Leafs/B's/ Av's0) Unless we overpaid by a fair amount, i doubt he'd come here. Although I'd love to see him here.

Wondering whether Yotes will sign Hall?  I wouldn't mind him back with if term was decent. I think he was liked in locker room.  

20 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

There's going to be interest in Dustin Byfuglien. He will command a pretty good price I'm sure. I know he's 36 but maybe still has a little in the tank?  My 1st thoughts are he'll want to go to an annual contender. But not many have cap room unless they do a lot of tap dancing. (Bolts/Leafs/B's/ Av's0) Unless we overpaid by a fair amount, i doubt he'd come here. Although I'd love to see him here.

Wondering whether Yotes will sign Hall?  I wouldn't mind him back with if term was decent. I think he was liked in locker room.  

a 36 years old gamble who hasnt been plein and on the fence about retiring is the last thing we need when the plan is to surround our young guys

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

a 36 years old gamble who hasnt been plein and on the fence about retiring is the last thing we need when the plan is to surround our young guys

Agreed. No more past their prime players. Did we learn nothing from Wayne Simmonds?

I'd suggest a white circle (outline only) as part of the logo...but I think that they're awesome otherwise.  One of the best stabs at an original Devils 3rd that I've seen.  Very clean.  

A red circle as part of the logo could work too.  Would tie in with the neck, waist, and shorts hems.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

That's damn good MB.

It's also the first design where I don't mind the sleeve floaties one bit...the lone white stripe surrounded by the two red ones really pops, in a good way. 

The problem is that on the current away reds and home whites, the truncated black shoulder yokes just don't blend right with the floaties.  Doing away with the chopped yokes makes a world of difference, as MB's design shows.  Makes me wonder if the current jerseys would look better if their yokes were done away with too.   

At any rate, if MB's design ever became a reality, I would scoop up one of these in a heartbeat.  Pretty much says it all.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I like it. Might look even better with red numbers though. Our local ECHL team has red numbers (but names in white) on their black and red jerseys and they’re pretty sharp. 

I was thinking about that too (red numbers), but I love the way all of the white elements of this uni really stand out and pop (including the numbers).  

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

With my newfound abundance of free time and limited graphic design ability, I took a stab at some black alternates. @SterioDesign, I know you can one-up me -- tag, you're it.

devils black jersey.jpg

That's one of the better 3rd jersey concepts I've seen.  I'm not a fan of the all black look, but that is pretty good overall.  I like the state outline on the pants too.

Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MB3 said:

With my newfound abundance of free time and limited graphic design ability, I took a stab at some black alternates. @SterioDesign, I know you can one-up me -- tag, you're it.

With this abundance of time, I gotta ask...can you doctor up any existing current jersey pics to remove the black yokes?  Now I really want to see what that would look like.  The more I think about it, the more I think what kills the floaties for me is that the current yokes and floaties stripes somehow seem out-of-scale with each other.  

And as far as the current reds go, I think both removing the black yoke and going black-white-black on the stripes could look really sharp.  That white on the middle stripe in your concept almost looks illuminated (as do the numbers).  It's a great look.  

The more I look at that concept, the more I wish it would become a reality.  I love it.  

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Everything and anything Hartnett says/writes should be taken with a grain of salt.  He is a Rangers fanboy dweeb masquerading as a "reporter" for WFAN.

Basically, he is the male version of Stein/Mastracco.

50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Everything and anything Hartnett says/writes should be taken with a grain of salt.  He is a Rangers fanboy dweeb masquerading as a "reporter" for WFAN.

Basically, he is the male version of Stein/Mastracco.

The ironic thing is that initially, Hartnett's argument has very slight merit (heavy accent on slight), but he leaves too much out to try to make his pro-Lundqvist argument.  Once you start to bring more to the table, Hartnett's Lundqvist > Brodeur's stance doesn't hold up under scrutiny, and falls apart completely.

The argument that many used to make against Marty was that he was propped up by having such a killer D in front of him all of those years, and that without it, he'd be exposed as being pretty good at best...what Hartnett completely ignores is that some of Marty's best work came after those guys were gone.  Hartnett's argument that Lundqvist was a great goalie who was hurt by not having great teammates...but ignored that despite Marty having to deal with that as an older player (his age 34-37 seasons), that he actually thrived (.919 save% over those four years).  Lundqvist's age 34-37 seasons were basically decline years.  

Hartnett also doesn't bother to bring up Marty's puckhandling skills...last time that I checked, rules weren't put into place to take anything away from Lundqvist that he did exceptionally well.  Harnett also seems to take Marty's freakish longevity for granted as well...his prime lasted for 1076 regular season games and 181 playoff games (through his age 37 season)...and even when his decline began, he was still able to coax one last fine stretch of play in 2012.  

Lundqvist's relative prime lasted 685 games (116 playoff) and was basically over after his age 33 season.  He did play well in the 2017 playoffs, but overall in his age 34-37 seasons (same time Marty was thriving and even picked up his final two Vezinas), he was barely average, and was even mothballed in his age 37 season.    

Finally, Hartnett ignores that Marty was able to raise his game multiple times in the playoffs...including ones that didn't result in Cup wins (1994, 2012).  Lundqvist certainly had some terrific playoff runs too...he had a four-year stretch where he put up a .930 save% in 76 playoff games...that's impressive.  But in the end, Hartnett is trying to suggest that somehow Lundqvist should be ranked ahead of Brodeur...and I definitely cannot agree with him there...not to mention that in the hardware department (3 Cups and 4 Vezinas vs 1 Vezina), Marty absolutely destroys Lundqvist.  You have to gloss over a HELL of a lot to put Lundqvist ahead of Marty.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hartnett also doesn't bother to bring up Marty's puckhandling skills...last time that I checked, rules weren't put into place to take anything away from Lundqvist that he did exceptionally well.  Harnett also seems to take Marty's freakish longevity for granted as well...his prime lasted for 1076 regular season games and 181 playoff games (through his age 37 season)...and even when his decline began, he was still able to coax one last fine stretch of play in 2012.  

You're wrong, they limited the Pad sizes 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not giving that article any clicks and everybody else should do the same. Marty is way better than Henrik, period. End of story. It's not even a debate. 

It's closer than you think.  Ranger or not (and everyone knows how much I hate that team), Lundqvist's first 11 seasons were really damned good.  

But I still put Marty ahead of him, and really don't have to think all that hard about doing it.  

As far as Marty's peers go, if there are some who want to put him behind Roy and Hasek, I can understand why...but to me, whatever order one chooses to put them in, it's 1A - 1B - 1C.  There's no one worthy of 1D as far as I'm concerned (from their era).  

I think a more compelling debate would be Lundqvist vs Luongo vs MAF, if someone wanted to crunch the numbers.  

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's closer than you think.  Ranger or not (and everyone knows how much I hate that team), Lundqvist's first 11 seasons were really damned good.  

But I still put Marty ahead of him, and really don't have to think all that hard about doing it.  

As far as Marty's peers go, if there are some who want to put him behind Roy and Hasek, I can understand why...but to me, whatever order one chooses to put them in, it's 1A - 1B - 1C.  There's no one worthy of 1D as far as I'm concerned (from their era).  

I think a more compelling debate would be Lundqvist vs Luongo vs MAF, if someone wanted to crunch the numbers.  

I don't think it's close at all because he choked when it mattered most, numerous times. I'm not reading the article but those Ranger teams were damn good in that 2012-2015... 

2012 - 1st in the east, 2 points behind the president trophy winners Vancouver. Stopped by the Devils and and old man Marty. 

2014 - made the finals, out in 5.

2015 - presidents trophy winner, lost at home in game 7 of the conference finals. That team, especially that team had no business losing to that Tampa team. 

I'm sure there's an excuse of Marty had all these great defenders blah blah blah but those 3 years Henrik couldn't get the job done with excellent teams. The excuse of Henrik didn't have what Marty did has been thrown out a lot over the years but those 3 teams were excellent, excellent teams and they couldn't get the job done and Henrik owes some blame for that. 

I'm so happy he'll never raise a cup at this point. I hate him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think it's close at all because he choked when it mattered most, numerous times. I'm not reading the article but those Ranger teams were damn good in that 2012-2015... 

2012 - 1st in the east, 2 points behind the president trophy winners Vancouver 

2014 - made the finals 

2015 - presidents trophy winner

I'm sure there's an excuse of Marty had all these great defenders blah blah blah but those 3 years Henrik couldn't get the job done with excellent teams. The excuse of Henrik didn't have what Marty did has been thrown out a lot over the years but those 3 teams were excellent, excellent teams and they couldn't get the job done and Henrik owes some blame for that. 

I'm so happy he'll never raise a cup at this point. I hate him. 

You're holding him solely accountable for team losses.  Goalies are a little bit like QBs, in that they often get too much of the credit AND the blame.  Those Ranger teams (despite being very good) simply couldn't win series in efficient fashion far too often, and didn't score enough...too many extended, drawn-out series.  Lundqvist put up a .930 save% and 2.05 GAA in four playoff seasons from 2011-12 through 2014-15 (with his numbers from playoff to playoff being pretty consistent), yet his record was just 39-36 (with one no-decision) in those games...he was not really the problem, as much those teams saw their offense dry up come up playoff time...don't get me wrong, I love that he's never going to win a Cup too, but I can't label him a choker just because I hate the Rangers.    

Also, it's not like President's Trophy winners are constantly winning the Cup, and the Rangers were some exception...hell, the 2011-12 Canucks that you mentioned won one friggin' playoff game that year.  

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, MB3 said:

devils black jersey.jpg

Like the NJ graphic on the pants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're holding him solely accountable for team losses.  Goalies are a little bit like QBs, in that they often get too much of the credit AND the blame.  Those Ranger teams (despite being very good) simply couldn't win series in efficient fashion far too often, and didn't score enough...too many extended, drawn-out series.  Lundqvist put up a .930 save% and 2.05 GAA in four playoff seasons from 2011-12 through 2014-15 (with his numbers from playoff to playoff being pretty consistent), yet his record was just 39-36 (with one no-decision) in those games...he was not really the problem, as much those teams saw their offense dry up come up playoff time...don't get me wrong, I love that he's never going to win a Cup too, but I can't label him a choker just because I hate the Rangers.    

In the end the results still ended up looking like this below and 4 out of the 11 playoff years he was in ending with an OT goal he gave up and some pathetic ot goals in other games along the way, nice stroll down memory lane for king nothing...

Devils_top_Rangers_gm1.jpg

2006-04-30-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

2007-05-05-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

05rangers.650.2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

capitals_ovechkin_celebrates_winninggoal

21rangers-11-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75

ElementaryVariableKiskadee-size_restrict

2012-05-26-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRltYYxaIhsvRqgHeKi2P8

NY-CI747_SP_HOF_P_20130516233241.jpg

2013-05-26-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

kingsstangoal.gif?w=1000

b0614.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=300

dHa4cvr.png

CgpX5eIUYAAcsft.jpg:large

back7.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=300

rangersweb-4-superJumbo.jpg

Marty... 

11daa7054aba6eef1f7495fd6511186c.jpg

51F8NxqU1xL._AC_.jpg

brodeur02.jpg

Nuff said. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In the end the results still ended up looking like this below and 4 out of the 11 playoff years he was in ending with an OT goal he gave up and some pathetic ot goals in other games along the way, nice stroll down memory lane for king nothing...

Devils_top_Rangers_gm1.jpg

2006-04-30-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

2007-05-05-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

05rangers.650.2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

capitals_ovechkin_celebrates_winninggoal

21rangers-11-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75

ElementaryVariableKiskadee-size_restrict

2012-05-26-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRltYYxaIhsvRqgHeKi2P8

NY-CI747_SP_HOF_P_20130516233241.jpg

2013-05-26-back.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

kingsstangoal.gif?w=1000