2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

That site really is just awful.  

And to add to that, nothing against Nick Villone, but that guy has no idea what he's talking about (but acts like he does).  He's the kind of guy who sees someone like a 23 or 24-year-old Nick Lappin or Q score 6 or 7 goals over 9 AHL games, and immediately treats that guy like a legit prospect who should be called up to the big club immediately.  The ONLY thing kinda cool about that site is the name.  Everything else about it is terrible.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Devils/Sabres from April 1994 with Hasek's 70-save performance on NHL Network in 10 minutes.  

That friggin' game...I was so bummed after watching it...I was SURE that the Devils were going to lose Game 7, and yet another tough first-round series.  I had tickets for that Game 7 too...Devils fell behind 1-0 of course, but tied it up and then made a 2-1 second period lead stand up.  I remember Mogilny being pissed...slammed his stick onto the ice as soon as the game ended.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Devils/Sabres from April 1994 with Hasek's 70-save performance on NHL Network in 10 minutes.  

Not necessarily via NHLN but the NHL app, I've enjoyed watching some classic games lately. For one, it's so weird watching 1990s hockey compared to the modern era; the game feels so much slower, goalies look SO small in net and the amount of hooking/grabbing/tackling/whatever and getting away with it is incredible... but it brings me back to my childhood. Just recently watched Mario destroying the Rangers (he made it look so effortless) and the Kings/Leafs playoff series from 1993 (I don't know how nor why but I had a VHS tape of the 1992-93 Leafs season that I must've watched 100 times as a kid). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That friggin' game...I was so bummed after watching it...I was SURE that the Devils were going to lose Game 7, and yet another tough first-round series.  I had tickets for that Game 7 too...Devils fell behind 1-0 of course, but tied it up and then made a 2-1 second period lead stand up.  I remember Mogilny being pissed...slammed his stick onto the ice as soon as the game ended.  

I was exhausted and heartbroken after that game 6.... begged my mom to get tickets for game 7. She did, and we went. Awesome night at the old barn that night.

5 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Not necessarily via NHLN but the NHL app, I've enjoyed watching some classic games lately. For one, it's so weird watching 1990s hockey compared to the modern era; the game feels so much slower, goalies look SO small in net and the amount of hooking/grabbing/tackling/whatever and getting away with it is incredible... but it brings me back to my childhood. Just recently watched Mario destroying the Rangers (he made it look so effortless) and the Kings/Leafs playoff series from 1993 (I don't know how nor why but I had a VHS tape of the 1992-93 Leafs season that I must've watched 100 times as a kid). 

An nmig sighting!  Nice!

You should watch 80s hockey...you see some of the goaltending back then and you quickly realize why it was such an offensive era...there were some god-awful netminders playing back then.  And yeah the net behind guys like Chico looked like soccer nets back then, compared to now.  

Agree on the speed in past seasons...I was watching the very first playoff game in franchise history (Rockies vs Flyers, in the Spectrum...Rockies lost 3-2 in OT...this was 1978), and I'd say about 90% of that game almost looks like it's being played at half-speed...and in some ways, half-size.  Everything that's said about players being bigger, stronger, and faster today is 100% on the money.  

You can find that game on youtube by the way.  There's also highlights of a 7-1 Rockies win against the Blues in Denver (McNicholls Arena...in January 1982, their final season in Colorado), and some of those goals allowed by Mike Liut are almost comically bad...Brent Ashton's goal (made it 6-1) just kind of floats its way into the net from near the blue line...almost looks like a change-up (the kind that Bugs Bunny threw when during the "One!  Two!  Three strikes yer out!", three-straight strikeouts one on pitch bit).  I still don't know how Liut couldn't stop it. 

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was exhausted and heartbroken after that game 6.... begged my mom to get tickets for game 7. She did, and we went. Awesome night at the old barn that night.

I had tix for the first two rounds of the 1993-94 playoffs (I'd get strips for Rounds 3 and 4 the following season ...hence, the reason I was in the building for the 1995 Cup).  I was just as bummed as you were...deflated.  That regular season had obviously been by far the most successful in Devils history...to see it potentially die out in the first round yet again just felt like such a disappointment.  When they went down 1-0 in Game 7 (and Hasek seeming to be invincible), I was already feeling like the Devils were done in 1994.  When they went up 2-1, I went nuts...and just crossed my fingers that it would be enough to beat the Sabres, because Hasek played so damned well for most of that series (1.61 GAA, .950 save%...sure, those numbers were a little bloated by Game 6, but the guy was still an intimidating puck-stopper, and very much a beast).  It was such a relief to get past them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't really remember the game itself, just that Hasek posted 70 saves  which was and is pretty remarkable.  I wasn't sure but had a feeling it was a shutout, and indeed it was, 1-0.  

We all know what happened at the end of those playoffs, but I was curious what happened in between, and was surprised to see that the next round against the Bruins we lost the first two at home, then took two at their place to even it up, and won the next two as well for four straight to win the series 4-2.  Pretty interesting and something else I didn't quite remember.  

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I've enjoyed it too.  Honestly though, I actually saw some moments where I thought the game was actually kinda similar to today's.  The thing that stands out the most to me is the shots and how most of them were low and on the ground, and there was a lot of dekeing back then too.  You didn't see a lot of guys picking corners and setting up plays as much as you do today, particularly on the powerplay.  I think a lot of it has to do with the equipment, from both the player's and goalie's standpoints -- guys can shoot so much harder and accurate today, and for the goalies, it's easier to react and make certain saves, not to mention cut down on angles, with equipment being bigger and more protective.  

I watched a few games from the 70s and 80s, I believe it was Oilers/Flyers Game 7 in '87, and I watched Messier get a cross-checking call which could have just as easily been a boarding call -- to my surprise, the announcers called it as such, and it looked like something that would be just the same today.  I was kind of expecting the refs not to call it, and/or the announcers to disagree with the call, but they didn't.  Made me feel like there was more of a connection between today's game and back then, which I think is good at times.  So many things in life change and evolve, which is natural in a lot of cases, but it's cool to see something stay somewhat the same and share things in common from decades ago. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't really remember the game itself, just that Hasek posted 70 saves  which was and is pretty remarkable.  I wasn't sure but had a feeling it was a shutout, and indeed it was, 1-0.  

We all know what happened at the end of those playoffs, but I was curious what happened in between, and was surprised to see that the next round against the Bruins we lost the first two at home, then took two at their place to even it up, and won the next two as well for four straight to win the series 4-2.  Pretty interesting and something else I didn't quite remember.  

Game 6 against the Sabres went to 4OT to decide a winner.  Insanely long game.  And the kind that can really kill a team...I was so relieved when the Devils were able to shake that off.

Yeah, was rough losing Games 1 and 2 to the Bruins at home...Game 2 was doubly tough, because time was winding down in the third...and the Devils managed to tie it up 5-5 (they were ahead 4-3 at one point) with just seconds left on the clock.  Then OT, and then they lost about 9 minutes in...there was that glimmer of hope, instantly squashed by the sudden "Aw fvck!" OT goal by the Bruins.  I think Lemaire wondered if Marty was getting a little tired at that point, and that was definitely fair...he'd played 9 games and 612:43 (including 2 OT games) in just 17 days...based on the minutes alone, he'd really played over TEN games' worth of minutes during that stretch.  Lemaire went to Terreri for Games 3 and 4 at the Garden, and Chris played very well in both games (Devils also gave him some offensive support) and the Devils tied the series up.  Then back to Marty at home for Game 5 (he pitched a shutout), then back to Terreri at the Garden.  Terreri really did a hell of a job...he faced a lot of rubber in Games 4 and 6 (over 40 shots each game).  Devils probably won that series on the strength of their goaltending...the only game where the Devils really had any issues in net in that series was Game 2...I remember Marty looking shaky in that game (he didn't have many games like that during the 1993-94 playoffs...he was usually superb).  Boston's Jon Casey was pretty meh...an .871 save% for the series.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That game was a NAIL BITER of all nail biters.  I have that whole game on a DVD. Marty made one of his greatest saves ever that day

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

That game was a NAIL BITER of all nail biters.  I have that whole game on a DVD. Marty made one of his greatest saves ever that day

I remember that too!  I know the one you’re talking about.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember that too!  I know the one you’re talking about.  

Found it...........

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Let's get him!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Found it...........

Yep, that's the one, but I swear that I can remember another huge save in that game...I'm almost positive that Mogilny was the shooter.  Obviously going back 26 years could mean that I'm wrong...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Devs has a man for this vacancy. We can give him a job of assistant gm 

I doubt he'll be able to hire an asst. GM as long as he's interim GM> I wish they'd just give Fitz the damn job!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I just had commented this in the devils thread but didn't see this post first, am I missing where the section is for classic games? The old nhl vault use to let you click on any team and see classic games for that team. All I see is a Carolina-Devils game from 09 and I'd rather smash my face into a wall for 3 hours than watch anything from that series ever again. What I just posted in the devils thread... 

"I wonder why the nhl.tv doesn't have a real classic games section, I've been watching some old games that MSG+ has been showing but I hate that they cut out portions of the games. 

Browsing the nhl.tv app they have some classic things but the vast majority are shortened games too and barely any Devils stuff. 

I know they use to have the nhl vault that had a section for Devils games but I don't know why they don't have anything like that anymore, especially given the current situation."

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just had commented this in the devils thread but didn't see this post first, am I missing where the section is for classic games? The old nhl vault use to let you click on any team and see classic games for that team. All I see is a Carolina-Devils game from 09 and I'd rather smash my face into a wall for 3 hours than watch anything from that series ever again. What I just posted in the devils thread... 

"I wonder why the nhl.tv doesn't have a real classic games section, I've been watching some old games that MSG+ has been showing but I hate that they cut out portions of the games. 

Browsing the nhl.tv app they have some classic things but the vast majority are shortened games too and barely any Devils stuff. 

I know they use to have the nhl vault that had a section for Devils games but I don't know why they don't have anything like that anymore, especially given the current situation."

On mobile it's Pause Binge > Classic Games. It's honestly not much, though. I think you're looking in the right area because the Canes/Devs game is listed there, but there's about 7 or 8 other classic games if you scroll left or right. I will say some of them are funky - the Leafs/Kings Game 6 of '93 is more like bits and pieces of Games 5 and 6, not one full game; God knows why they don't have Game 7 but I found it later on YouTube. And when I clicked one of the Wings/Caps '98 games, the camera angle was awful. 

Since posting this I found a YT channel of someone called Serg72 and he has tons of games uploaded there. Without looking right now I think the NHL has a channel on YT for classic games (or it's a playlist on the actual NHL one).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That's right. Leading scorer Kenny Agostino. 

22G, 27A in 53 games. 

He’s always put up numbers in the AHL.  Kinda where it ends for him though.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s always put up numbers in the AHL.  Kinda where it ends for him though.  

Yeah he’s one of those AAAA guys. Good enough to play hockey for a living, not good enough to do it consistently in the best league in the world.