2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

On 7/23/2020 at 9:53 PM, Nicomo said:

Nah, not terrible at all. Even years from now when people are making lists of the worst jerseys of all time neither of these will ever be mentioned. I can understand not caring for them, but terrible? Not even close. 

I think the jerseys for both franchises are passable, yea, but the logos are mass appeal auto generated garbage in my opinion. You just have such a huge opportunity when building a brand from scratch, and the question for me is always how does this hold up to the timeless hockey brands. How do they hold up compared to the Habs, Blackhawks, brands like that? Of course you can't replicate the history and that's a part of what gives those brands that charm, but there's a certain timelessness to the aesthetics. I don't want every team to fit that mold, but I wish there was a different standard. 

I don't think either brand stands up for more than a decade. They're going to be tasteless and out of date sooner than later. Seattle especially had so many options for a really meaningful name, and kraken is awful in my opinion. And yea they're not my teams, but I prefer an overall product that doesn't feel gimmicky and minor league, which to me too many brands in the league feel. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, thecoffeecake said:

I think the jerseys for both franchises are passable, yea, but the logos are mass appeal auto generated garbage in my opinion. You just have such a huge opportunity when building a brand from scratch, and the question for me is always how does this hold up to the timeless hockey brands. How do they hold up compared to the Habs, Blackhawks, brands like that? Of course you can't replicate the history and that's a part of what gives those brands that charm, but there's a certain timelessness to the aesthetics. I don't want every team to fit that mold, but I wish there was a different standard. 

I don't think either brand stands up for more than a decade. They're going to be tasteless and out of date sooner than later. Seattle especially had so many options for a really meaningful name, and kraken is awful in my opinion. And yea they're not my teams, but I prefer an overall product that doesn't feel gimmicky and minor league, which to me too many brands in the league feel. 

If you were talking about the islanders fisherman logo or the coyotes with the weird looking coyote or a logo with a cartoony mascot i'd understand. But the LV logo and Kraken logos are reaaaally basic.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, mfitz804 said:

Let me also say again that I hate when a team name isn't plural. If we were the New Jersey Devil that would annoy the crap out of me. 

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.  Because of the name and the actual word itself, I think it's OK.  The Minnesota "Wilds" probably wouldn't sound right.  I'm too lazy to look it up...do many of the other teams in the other major North American sports have singular names?  I agree that plural usually sounds best, as in your example with us, New Jersey Devils is our mascot, which is a person/thing, and only one, whereas New Jersey DevilS represents our team, i.e. the 23-man roster.

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.

You forgot the Lightning.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

You forgot the Lightning.

Yeah I realized that after I posted, but then after thinking about it, is lightning really singular?  I mean you wouldn't say "there were several lightnings last night"....obviously you'd say something like "there were several lightning strikes"...so I'm not really sure.  Even though you might say "that was a big lightning strike" which infers a single bolt or strike, you could also say "look at all the lightning", which infers multiple...so yeah, like I said, I'm not sure 😛

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.  Because of the name and the actual word itself, I think it's OK.  The Minnesota "Wilds" probably wouldn't sound right.  I'm too lazy to look it up...do many of the other teams in the other major North American sports have singular names?  I agree that plural usually sounds best, as in your example with us, New Jersey Devils is our mascot, which is a person/thing, and only one, whereas New Jersey DevilS represents our team, i.e. the 23-man roster.

Jazz, Magic, Heat, Thunder...

• Like 1

While I think the Vegas logo coulda been better and incorporated hidden hockey sticks, it ain't bad.

And I think the Kraken sounds badass and that's a great start!  The S is clever the way it is a tentacle splitting the S, and the space needle on the anchors captures their big draw... Besides rain and Starbucks and hippies.

I see a second logo with a mean sea beast in their future.

Better then the salmons! Or the sockeyes! You think that wouldn't have become the Load Socks!?!?

On 7/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, jagknife said:

..., but like MD said, they were worried about gambling....

I think the WNBA team took Aces

To be fair, I don't think the WNBA has too much to worry about when it comes to gambling habits of their enormous fanbase.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, vadvlfan said:

AND they won a Stanley coupe

🤔 I gotta say, I wouldn't mind winning one of these!

188 Stanley 735C Opera Coupe (1921) - James Melton | Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45676495@N05/46077758742/in/photostream/

Edited by Masked Fan
Premature enteration
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I make puns as my main hobby and I never would have made that connection. 

I'm a Navy Vet. Socks can never be the same...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ah, true.  Jazz is kinda weird, but Magic/Heat/Thunder kinda go back to my Lightning example.  Are they really singular?  

Jazz is even weirder because the franchise kept that name even when they moved from New Orleans to Salt Lake City.  That would be like the Devils being called the New Jersey Rockies.  I have no idea why the Jazz kept that name (though not like they’re the only ones...teams have kept nicknames that no longer applies to their new city (Dodgers, Flames, Lakers, etc).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Unfortunately that's because they made the playoffs and we didn't 

Yeah sadly the ratings for Best of Devils games would probably be less than nothing right now...I don't really think they have much of a wide appeal.  I readily admit that I might watch a full Best Of game here and there, or check out a period or two if I know that a certain game's on (80s games are kind of a hoot), but in general I can't honestly say that I'm starving for replays of old Devils games (many of which I've likely already seen)...especially since there's tons of videos on YouTube of signature Devils moments, and in some cases, even some full games.  

At this point, I'm just looking forward to eventually getting back to some semblance of Old Normal, and watching new games then.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not sure where to put this, but it's good to hear. I was sure he was walking. 

Yeah that is a bit surprising, but encouraging. 

7 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

Some good news, hopefully softens the blow when Pitt gets the pick this evening. (or the other team)

We should definitely be placing bets on who throws the first sh!t fit when it gets selected...

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Not sure where to put this, but it's good to hear. I was sure he was walking. 

sh!t, should've checked here before creating a thread.

This is awesome news though, I was certain he was going to go the free agency route.

• Like 1