2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

Hopefully this lights a fire under Jack. 

The comparisons with Kakko are officially yesterday’s news. 

Jack will now forever be linked with his successor as 1OA. 

He steps up or he might as well be invisible. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

**Whiny post warning**

I mean it's really frankly ridiculous when you step back and think about it.  We've had completely meaningless hockey in New Jersey for 80% of the past 4 seasons or whatever and, praise be to Jebus, we managed to win the lottery twice and select some good players.  But as far as entertainment is concerned we've had really.. very little on the ice to care about.

Meanwhile, the Rangers have had, at the very least, entertaining teams.  They've won games, made the playoffs, etc.  And they're going to now rocket past us in the rebuild process.  

It's the way it goes, but it's such bullsh!t.

They also missed their best windows to win the cup and we stopped them in 2012. fvck em. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smelly said:

All I know is Jack better put on 20 lbs before the season starts or he’s going to get thrown around again like a rag doll, did not have an impressive rookie season at all, despite the season ending early.

i dont wanna believe in Nyr conspiracy. it`s just... They have kakko, kravtsov, sh-kin, and Laf now. We will have real problems with them in our prime future if we will have prime future anyway.

I don`t know how but Fitz has a biggest field of problem that he should resolve. Young wingers for future, experienced wingers for jack`s develope, the entire defense. And goddam Hynes didn`t help.

I have a worry we will be better team under ruff. Not better enough to be contender, but better enough to pick away from best prospects.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

is what it is, hard to complain when we've won it twice in 3 years... have to wonder how their fans felt when we hit it a 2nd time. besides, sure seems like none of the 1oa's in the past few years have really turned out to be all that so far anyway.

To be blunt - I could give two sh!ts about how they were feeling when we won the lottery for Jack :lol: 

To the latter half of your post, in the last 5 years:

2015 Edmonton Oilers Connor McDavid 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada Forward Erie Otters OHL
2016 Toronto Maple Leafs Auston Matthews ^ 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Forward ZSC Lions NLA
2017 New Jersey Devils Nico Hischier 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland Forward Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL
2018 Buffalo Sabres Rasmus Dahlin 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Defenceman Frolunda HC SHL
2019 New Jersey Devils Jack Hughes 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Forward U.S. NTDP USHL

The only ones to not really end up being true impact players out of the gate were... 

...uh oh

Edited by Devilsfan118

5 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

All I know is Jack better put on 20 lbs before the season starts or he’s going to get thrown around again like a rag doll, did not have an impressive rookie season at all, despite the season ending early.

He’s not putting on 20 lbs in one offseason. Maybe 10. 

Anyway, this sucks. I hate this stupid fvcking year so much. 

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To be blunt - I could give two sh!ts about how they were feeling when we won the lottery for Jack :lol: 

2015 Edmonton Oilers Connor McDavid 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada Forward Erie Otters OHL
2016 Toronto Maple Leafs Auston Matthews ^ 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Forward ZSC Lions NLA
2017 New Jersey Devils Nico Hischier 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland Forward Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL
2018 Buffalo Sabres Rasmus Dahlin 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Defenceman Frolunda HC SHL
2019 New Jersey Devils Jack Hughes 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Forward U.S. NTDP USHL

The only ones to not really turned out to be true studs were... 

...uh oh

Oh please. Dahlin has not moved the needle one bit in Buffalo. They’re a dumpster fire. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The only ones to not really end up being true impact players out of the gate were... 

...uh oh

right... unfortunately I hate to say it but, for a team that has gotten 2 first overalls in 3 years.... seems like the 1oas around us have been much more significant of players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Oh please. Dahlin has not moved the needle one bit in Buffalo. They’re a dumpster fire. 

Buffalo is still terrible, no doubt, but I think it's pretty clear Dahlin has already established himself as a top pairing guy.  Which is.. pretty impressive for a kid two years out of his draft.

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

right... unfortunately I hate to say it but, for a team that has gotten 2 first overalls in 3 years.... seems like the 1oas around us have been much more significant of players.

Because I've got nothing better to do right now as I cool off from this God damn draft result:

image.thumb.png.5d2f603c6c8eec9553ff7f28c7e0588b.png

Last 10 years.  Sample size is a little small for Nico and obviously very small for Jack but.. the numbers are what they are.

39 minutes ago, smelly said:

I don’t think Jack needs a fire lit under him.

More that he needed to get time and experience in the NHL.  And to put on some muscle.  I’m still optimistic that he’ll figure it out, even if last year was rough. 

As for the Rangers getting the first overall pick...it’s really just...annoying.  Really fvcking annoying.  Think this would’ve been better for the league if that pick had gone to a team like the Jets.  I know this wasn’t rigged, but man it sure feels like it was.  Bleech.

45 minutes ago, devlman said:

What a great pile of sh!t this is. So nice of the league to give the Rags a chance at the cup and great odds at the first overall. fvck off.

It's very frustrating but you're frustrating yourself more than you have to by phrasing it like this. The league never gave those teams a shot at the cup. They gave them a shot at making the playoffs. In which you need to win 4 rounds to win the cup. It's quiiiite a stretch to say they gave them a shot at the cup.

The way they did the lottery is pure BS though. It should have been one lottery and once all the teams were set and thats it.

If they would have done ONE lottery once all the teams were set. Rangers would have had a 3.5% chance at the 1OA.

Or if they would have given qualifiers play-in loser teams a % based on their ranking... they would have had a 11.5% chance.

As much as it sucks though it's easier to swallow that a team went from 11.5% chance to 12.5%... than a team like pittsburgh who went from 0% to 12.5%

Still sucks hard.

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s not putting on 20 lbs in one offseason. Maybe 10. 

Anyway, this sucks. I hate this stupid fvcking year so much. 

i've put on 20lbs easily during covid. It's totally possible

• Haha 3

I'm desperately holding onto the fact that the Rags pull in big names every year and still find a way to fail but damn, Panarin, Kakko, and Laf up front is scary as hell as of right now.

EDIT: Slim chance they don't take Laf, no disrespect to Stutzle or Byfield, but funny that certain news media are reporting like it is a given.

image.png.893a8bb1dd55b683ab8092b75666249d.png

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's very frustrating but you're frustrating yourself more than you have to by phrasing it like this. The league never gave those teams a shot at the cup. They gave them a shot at making the playoffs. In which you need to win 4 rounds to win the cup. It's quiiiite a stretch to say they gave them a shot at the cup.

The way they did the lottery is pure BS though. It should have been one lottery and once all the teams were set and thats it.

If they would have done ONE lottery once all the teams were set. Rangers would have had a 3.5% chance at the 1OA.

Or if they would have given qualifiers play-in loser teams a % based on their ranking... they would have had a 11.5% chance.

As much as it sucks though it's easier to swallow that a team went from 11.5% chance to 12.5%... than a team like pittsburgh who went from 0% to 12.5%

Still sucks hard.

i've put on 20lbs easily during covid. It's totally possible

I understand the logic that you're using, and you are correct on those points. At the moment though I think you have to look at this as how you might feel listening to your Montreal fan friends going off in if you were in a similar situation. Its gonna be a headache and a half for us Devil fans who know a lot of Rag fans. We're gonna need some time to vent. 

The Rangers are the luckiest and most privileged team in the league. Players like Panarin, Fox, Trouba, Vesey, etc., only willing to play for them is a luxury mist teams don’t get.

They were able to rebuild faster then us because of trades involving those guys and being gifted Panarin in free agency (even though there were no other real options for him). Adding a 1st OA and 2nd OA is just overkill. 

They’re going to be hard to beat going forward, no doubt. Damn metro is such a tough division. It’s going to be a fight just to make the wild card.

But I still like what we have going on and if  Ruff can get some good offense out of these guy we should be fine. Still have some holes to fill but we’re not at ground zero. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

May the Rangers be just like Toronto... getting all the talent in the world. Getting top notch coachers and unable to make it past the 1st round

That’s what I’m hoping for. Plus they’re going to have to more cap issues eventually right?

39 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Buffalo is still terrible, no doubt, but I think it's pretty clear Dahlin has already established himself as a top pairing guy.  Which is.. pretty impressive for a kid two years out of his draft.

Because I've got nothing better to do right now as I cool off from this God damn draft result:

image.thumb.png.5d2f603c6c8eec9553ff7f28c7e0588b.png

Last 10 years.  Sample size is a little small for Nico and obviously very small for Jack but.. the numbers are what they are.

If you want to talk about impacts Nico centered a line with an MVP on it. That’s more impactful than anything Dahlin has done yet. And Dahlin plays on a team with a top 5 player. They should at least be a playoff team. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If you want to talk about impacts Nico centered a line with an MVP on it. That’s more impactful than anything Dahlin has done yet. And Dahlin plays on a team with a top 5 player. They should at least be a playoff team. 

I'd honestly like to see how many of Dahlin's points were assists to Eichel or Jeff Skinner, who was having a career year last season.

Jack and Kakko should buy each other dinner, each thanking the other for being virtually invisible last season and as a result neither one exposing the other for coming up so short. Both touted as NHL ready and both clearly not so much. Hoping for much better from Jack. It is a bummer that our two firsts were years where the best players weren't franchise changing caliber. 

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Jack and Kakko should buy each other dinner, each thanking the other for being virtually invisible last season and as a result neither one exposing the other for coming up so short. Both touted as NHL ready and both clearly not so much. Hoping for much better from Jack. It is a bummer that our two firsts were years where the best players weren't franchise changing caliber. 

Jack was far from invisible, and it’s much too early to declare he’s not going to be franchise player. Just stop. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jack was far from invisible, and it’s much too early to declare he’s not going to be franchise player. Just stop. 

Nah we disagree, get over it.  He was about as uninspiring a #1 that I can remember last season. Kakko was equally as bad.