2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I need more context here... Why do you hate him so much. I haven’t cared for most of his movies (except House 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects), but I certainly don’t mind him. Is there something horrible I’m not aware of? 

Yes there is a story here that we need to hear. 

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I need more context here... Why do you hate him so much. I haven’t cared for most of his movies (except House 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects), but I certainly don’t mind him. Is there something horrible I’m not aware of? 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes there is a story here that we need to hear. 

Well do you want the long or short version? lol

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

7 hours later...

we don’t need a dissertation bud lol

I was busy all day yesterday lol It was national acadian day baby ! 

So alright. I loved House of 1000 corpses and The Devils Rejects. RZ has a good flair for gritty and cool visuals... but his storytelling is horrible but wtv you don't watch these movies for the deep stories anyway.

So then he was given Halloween. That movie is the one and only time I almost made walk out of the movie theatre. And i'm not one of those blind remakes hater either, there's many remakes that are actually better than the originals, The Thing, The Fly, The Hills Have Eyes, etc etc

So anyway, I hate when someone is given such a golden opportunity with a beloved franchise and completely miss on what made it work and completely make it about themselves. Again, i really can't stand most egomaniacs, and RZ certainly is one. So i'm a huge Halloween fan, Carpenter's tone and mystery about the character is what made him so damn interesting. He was a random 6 years old kid who one night snapped for no apparent reason, killed his older sister. Was put in an institution and for 15 years stayed silent and one day escaped and went on another rampage. You don't know why he's doing it, you don't know why he's so strong, a regular size man able to lift a dude with one arm is not normal and he can't be killed etc etc Plus his psychiatrist is convinced he's just pure evil, that's precisely what made it special.

So RB in typical fashion went and completely destroyed that foundation. He gave Myers a backstory that ruins everything. Now he was just a kid who grew up in a white trash family, treated terribly and bullied... who one day snapped and killed MORE people. So he took out the evil angle of it... but then kept it too? Then he was put in an institution and somehow grew up to be like 300lbs of pure muscles. Like it's not making any sense anymore. Then the movie is just... more blood, more nudity, more violence... RZ just completely missed the point and made it about himself. It's fine to do your own spin on things but you still gotta keep the spirit to some extend not just use the visuals and crank everything to 11. Walking out of that theatre a promised myself that i'd never watch another one of his movie. And later saw a bunch of interviews he did where he kind of trash talked the original movie saying he didnt like this and that, pointing out flaws, i just hate him more since lol then he made a sequel and i guess brought back his wife again eventhough she died in the first one... i didnt watch it obviously. 

Another victim of that is another Carpenter movie, The Thing. The prequel completely missed the point. What made The Thing (1982) so good was the tone, the mistrust and the mystery. Rob Bottin's practical effects were obviously a huge part of it but it all worked together. The prequel again didn't get that and just made it a fest of... people turning into a giant monster when it makes no sense that they would... completely goes against what was setup in the previous movie. Plus they went full CGI which when done right is fine but again... they took something that was so precious and didn't understand it and made it their own.

Similar to the Ghostbusters reboot too. Fans has been waiting for over 2 decades, teased that a movie would happen constantly, there's obviously a HUGE fanbase and it's super cult. Then the movie is finally given to someone...... who didn't even try to make a good "ghostbusters" movie that the fans wanted. The goal was 100% to do a women empowerment movie, completely turned the movie and marketing it into a "SEE, WOMEN CAN DO IT TO" thing and all men are either big jerks or dumb. Like nobody asked for that, but then if you dare say it sucked, you were called a sexist living in your parents basement right away.... like... You can make movies like this, we need them, fine. I grew up watching horror movies, it's like 90% always a female lead and i love it. But when you take something already established and use it as a tool to do your own thing and then callout the long-time fans who don't like it names... fvck off. It just feels like a betrayal haha The upcoming movie is hitting all the right notes though, they got the original director's son to direct it. They brought back the cast that we wanted to see, its pushing the story forward etc etc that what we wanted.

So I guess what i'm saying is.... it's like when you have a crush... and you see a complete a$$hole hooking up with her, just using her and treating her like sh!t when he should cherish every second of the golden opportunity he was given.

Edited by SterioDesign

While we’re on this tangent...

I like some of White Zombie’s music, but Rob Zombie directs like a sophomore film student who both wants to be taken seriously and takes himself way too seriously.  He reeks of a guy who is trying way too hard to be uniquely artistic and original and different...yet often comes off as rather derivative.  His movies suck.

SD is right re:  The Thing movies...prequel was a disaster in just about every way.  The 1982 version has some flaws, but it still holds up even now.  The prequel feels like Jan De Pont directed it (not a good thing...he was responsible for “The Haunting” remake).

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

While we’re on this tangent...

I like some of White Zombie’s music, but Rob Zombie directs like a sophomore film student who both wants to be taken seriously and takes himself way too seriously.  He reeks of a guy who is trying way too hard to be uniquely artistic and original and different...yet often comes off as rather derivative.  His movies suck.

SD is right re:  The Thing movies...prequel was a disaster in just about every way.  The 1982 version has some flaws, but it still holds up even now.  The prequel feels like Jan De Pont directed it (not a good thing...he was responsible for “The Haunting” remake).

I still expected the story to be something else. Wanting to burn down a guy’s house because he makes sh!tty movies is a bit much. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s a strong opinion to have about a guy just because you didn’t like a couple of his movies. 

Yeah, I kind of thought it was going to be Halloween related, but I also figured he had done or said some shady stuff irl that I wasn’t aware of (although trashing the original is not cool).

As for the lady ghostbusters I have 0 desire to watch that one based on everything I’ve heard, and I do think it was made for the wrong reasons. That doesn’t stop me from loving some of Paul Feig’s other work though like Bridesmaids. And I certainly don’t want to throw fireballs at him or his house lol. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I kind of thought it was going to be Halloween related, but I also figured he had done or said some shady stuff irl that I wasn’t aware of (although trashing the original is not cool).

As for the lady ghostbusters I have 0 desire to watch that one based on everything I’ve heard, and I do think it was made for the wrong reasons. That doesn’t stop me from loving some of Paul Feig’s other work though like Bridesmaids. And I certainly don’t want to throw fireballs at him or his house lol. 

I watched it with my daughter. It was just ok. It would’ve been fine if not a desecration of a classic franchise. I have no problems with female empowerment, but “let’s remake it, only with girls” is stupid. Just write an original movie with female leads, don’t just try to remake a classic that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I still expected the story to be something else. Wanting to burn down a guy’s house because he makes sh!tty movies is a bit much. 

Yeah wasn’t debating that...just offering an opinion on RZ’s body of work.  

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

well this is the internet. You know i didn't mean to actually burn his house down haha

Just like MB probably wasnt really wishing cancer on hockey players he was mad at at that moment or wishing a career ending injury to our own backup goalie lol

in comparison i feel my take was still pretty mild lol

I watched it with my daughter. It was just ok. It would’ve been fine if not a desecration of a classic franchise. I have no problems with female empowerment, but “let’s remake it, only with girls” is stupid. Just write an original movie with female leads, don’t just try to remake a classic that way. 

Yeah i actually didn't really hate it, it had funny scenes, i love all those actresses and loved many of Paul movies before. Chris Hemsworth was hilarious in it too. But you can't watch it without seeing exactly what they were going for. 

But you're right. It's guaranteed top piss off fans from the get go. And it's not about sexism either, I mean... if they'd announce a Sailor Moon live action movie and cast guys instead. There would be a outrage for sure lol

A good example of how to do it is how they remade Evil Dead. Obviously a tall order to remake such a beloved movie AND cast someone to replace Bruce Campbell... they replaced him with Jane Levy who's awesome but they really threw in a twist in the story and just let the story guide the fans. They didnt go out and promote that they were replacing Ash by a girl and all that stuff. I mean... when it comes to fandom.... most fans are not okay with ANY changes lol a character can have a different jacket colour and fans will hate on that. So if you go and change something drastic and it doesnt feel genuine / feel forced. You're going to piss off people.

Well, I don’t think the backlash would have been nearly as severe if it was actually...you know...good. Like I said, I haven’t seen it (and don’t really plan to), but if you look at something like Mad Max: Fury Road, that was also a cult classic franchise that got a reboot with a majority female cast, and it turned out incredible. One of my favorite movies off all time, and easily one of the best of last decade. The difference is George Miller spent  20+ years working on it in his head though, and it was clearly a story he wanted to tell. Ofc there was a handful of MRA nuts that came out of the woodwork, but other than that it was pretty much universally praised. Because it was fvcking awesome. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, I don’t think the backlash would have been nearly as severe if it was actually...you know...good. Like I said, I haven’t seen it (and don’t really plan to), but if you look at something like Mad Max: Fury Road, that was also a cult classic franchise that got a reboot with a majority female cast, and it turned out incredible. One of my favorite movies off all time, and easily one of the best of last decade. The difference is George Miller spent  20+ years working on it in his head though, and it was clearly a story he wanted to tell. Ofc there was a handful of MRA nuts that came out of the woodwork, but other than that it was pretty much universally praised. Because it was fvcking awesome. 

Never saw that one so I can’t speak to it. Ghostbusters wasn’t really a “reboot”, they basically took the same concept, scientists with nothing going on start a ghost business. It wasn’t a continuation and the original GB didn’t exist. It was literally just “let’s do it with women just to do it with women”. 

The agenda was clear, but as SD said, it still had decent moments. I’m sure my daughter enjoyed that they were girls. 

Although she is already against the new female-led Pirates of the Caribbean reboot that is supposed to be forthcoming.  

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Never saw that one so I can’t speak to it. Ghostbusters wasn’t really a “reboot”, they basically took the same concept, scientists with nothing going on start a ghost business. It wasn’t a continuation and the original GB didn’t exist. It was literally just “let’s do it with women just to do it with women”. 

The agenda was clear, but as SD said, it still had decent moments. I’m sure my daughter enjoyed that they were girls. 

Although she is already against the new female-led Pirates of the Caribbean reboot that is supposed to be forthcoming.  

You really need to remedy that. I’d put Charlize Theron’s character (Furiosa) right up there with Ripley, Princess Leia, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo, etc as one of the most badass characters in film history. 

Amazing practical effects too. Which you will never believe they used after you see some of the crazy sh!t they did with the car crashes and whatnot. Can’t recommend it enough. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

You really need to remedy that. I’d put Charlize Theron’s character (Furiosa) right up there with Ripley, Princess Leia, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo, etc as one of the most badass characters in film history. 

Amazing practical effects too. Which you will never believe they used after you see some of the crazy sh!t they did with the car crashes and whatnot. Can’t recommend it enough. 

Pretty strong recommendation, I’ll have to check that out. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah it was really good. I might have to re-watch it cause when i walked out of the movie theatre i was like... "that was crazy, very entertaining and a great action flick"  but then some people were putting it on par with like... Terminator 2 and i'm just like "ok hold on here." I just feel it's missing multiple things in order to be on par with such an ultimate classic and revolutionary movie like T2. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You forgot Frances Lee McCain as the mom in Gremlins :P That kitchen scene was pretty badass