2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

On 8/16/2020 at 8:02 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah wasn’t debating that...just offering an opinion on RZ’s body of work.  

I’ll reply here. 

I saw the original Halloween in the theater. I have never been more frightened in my life, lol. Literally

The Thing was good but nothing I thought was a classic, IMO 

And still have  never seen GhostBusters.......or TopGun

On 8/16/2020 at 2:26 PM, SterioDesign said:

So then he was given Halloween. That movie is the one and only time I almost made walk out of the movie theatre. And i'm not one of those blind remakes hater either, there's many remakes that are actually better than the originals, The Thing, The Fly, The Hills Have Eyes, etc etc

Halloween was an absolute perfect movie in every way, it could never have been made better.  That RZ movie was destined to fail.  The other original movies you mentioned were not classics that could not be improved on(although I'd argue about The Hills have Eyes).

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I’ll reply here. 

I saw the original Halloween in the theater. I have never been more frightened in my life, lol. Literally

Don’t worry about Top Gun (unless you’re big on 80’s cheese) but you should watch the original Ghostbusters immediately. Also, it might be nostalgia from watching it so much as a kid, but I even love the sequel. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

God, I loved 80’s slasher movies. Couldn’t get enough as a kid. 

I’ve loved horror since I was a kid, too. I even went as Freddy Krueger one year for Halloween lol. 

And my first Devils game in NJ a few years ago was actually Halloween weekend, which was pretty cool.I framed this poster from that game. 

image.jpeg.bede8881c282f56ececd1acd402494a8.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I’ve loved horror since I was a kid, too. I even went as Freddy Krueger one year for Halloween lol. 

My dad helped me make my own Freddy glove with knives made out of sheet metal. He actually helped me make a deadly weapon lol. 

It was subsequently confiscated by my mom and replaced with the commercially available plastic version. 

Mom actually took me to see Nightmare on Elm Street 3 in the theater, midnight showing. Place was packed, everyone was screaming, it was probably the best movie experience I ever had. 

I was 10 years old. The 80’s were a very different time lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

God, I loved 80’s slasher movies. Couldn’t get enough as a kid. 

Halloween was 1978 but close enough. 

70's and 80's horror flicks generally can't be fvcked with.  I think I've seen every one.  My friends and I used to go to the Fangoria Fests in NYC in the 80's and we met so many great people: Clive Barker, Angus Scrimm, Jeffrey Combs, Doug Bradley, Kane Hodder, Michael Berryman, and a few others I cant recall.  I'll always recommend movies like Death Spa, Redneck Zombies, and Combat Shock, even though that one isn't necessarily horror but it's a Troma film.  I watch these movies with my kids all the time.  Last year my then seven year old drew me a pic of Michael Myers, Jason, and Freddy that I hung up at work because those are his favorites.  Maybe not dad of the year, but they seem to like them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I watch these movies with my kids all the time.  Last year my then seven year old drew me a pic of Michael Myers, Jason, and Freddy that I hung up at work because those are his favorites.  Maybe not dad of the year, but they seem to like them.

As long as they don’t end up being serial killers, it’s all good. Of course, if they do, our wives will have a few things to say lol.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As long as they don’t end up being serial killers, it’s all good. Of course, if they do, our wives will have a few things to say lol.

My wife shot me daggers when we watched The Re-Animator.  It's one of my favorites but I forgot how that movie ended.  I spent the whole ending telling my kids to cover their eyes.  I can deal with gore and vulgarity(since they hear that at home anyway) but I'm not cool with sex/nudity.  I misfired on that one.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I’ll reply here. 

Well that year was weird... E.T. came out in '82 and blew everyone away. Poltergeist too. But The Thing and Blade Runner didn't do well at all, but they are now both absolute classic cult movies.

I'm also not too sure how to handle someone who never saw Ghostbusters? lol 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My dad helped me make my own Freddy glove with knives made out of sheet metal. He actually helped me make a deadly weapon lol. 

It was subsequently confiscated by my mom and replaced with the commercially available plastic version. 

Mom actually took me to see Nightmare on Elm Street 3 in the theater, midnight showing. Place was packed, everyone was screaming, it was probably the best movie experience I ever had. 

I was invited to be a guest on a horror podcast from Saskatoon a few months ago to talk about Nightmare on elm street 3 and 4 lol I'm an absolute geek about that sh!t. 

I actually own a freddy glove replica signed by Robert Englund himself and i have the freddy's nightmare pinball machine here

This is one corner of my movie room. A good chunk of my childhood is in there lol117930427_326645988693439_67932172352665

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3
  • Shocking 2

Between DM84’s jerseys, CR76’s Devils basement, and now Sterio’s horror stuff...some pretty awesome collections.

I have a room in my house with all my movie, comic type stuff but it’s not super high end like all that. Mostly just funko pops, art that I buy at cons, etc. My wife calls it my “Nerd cave” lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Between DM84’s jerseys, CR76’s Devils basement, and now Sterio’s horror stuff...some pretty awesome collections.

I have a room in my house with all my movie, comic type stuff but it’s not super high end like all that. Mostly just funko pops, art that I buy at cons, etc. My wife calls it my “Nerd cave” lol

I've actually built up a nice collection of jerseys myself...dangerous hobby, once you get into it. 

SD could damned near open up his own horror-themed museum or restaurant, he's got that much stuff...and that's only the pics that I've seen him post on here...I'm sure he's got tons more...it's a hell of a collection, very impressive...it's funny, though me and him differ on some of our Devils views (mostly re:  Lou), we have quite a bit in common elsewhere...we're both huge film buffs, and have had several PMs going back and forth where we discuss several movies (mostly horror). 

I wonder how the ladies react when they come into his place and see all of that for the first time...gotta freak some of them out I'm sure, lol.  Every now and then if we have someone come over to service something in the basement, the person will see my Devils collection and either say "Yo!  I'm a huge Devils fan, that's awesome man!" or "I'm a Rangers fan."  The latter pretty much ends all conversation before it even has a chance to begin.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No kidding

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've actually built up a nice collection of jerseys myself...dangerous hobby, once you get into it. 

SD could damned near open up his own horror-themed museum or restaurant, he's got that much stuff...and that's only the pics that I've seen him post on here...I'm sure he's got tons more...it's a hell of a collection, very impressive...it's funny, though me and him differ on some of our Devils views (mostly re:  Lou), we have quite a bit in common elsewhere...we're both huge film buffs, and have had several PMs going back and forth where we discuss several movies (mostly horror). 

I wonder how the ladies react when they come into his place and see all of that for the first time...gotta freak some of them out I'm sure, lol.  Every now and then if we have someone come over to service something in the basement, the person will see my Devils collection and either say "Yo!  I'm a huge Devils fan, that's awesome man!" or "I'm a Rangers fan."  The latter pretty much ends all conversation before it even has a chance to begin.  

I’m a pretty hardcore film buff myself. I can’t say horror is my favorite genre (that would definitely be crime), but it’s up there. My most impressive collection is probably my movies themselves. I try to buy the good stuff when it comes to that (Criterion, Arrow, etc). I have no idea how many I currently have. Would be way more but I sold off most of my DVD’s when I started collecting Blu-rays. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

re:  the bolded...my mom didn't take me and it wasn't a midnight showing, but other than that, my NOES3 experience was EXACTLY as you described.  

The highlights:

Freddy got a standing O when he appeared for the first time.

When the nurse takes off her top and says "Do you like my body Joel?", damned near EVERY male in attendance yelled "YEAH!"

When a door appeared and Nancy looks at for a while before stating the obvious "It's a doooooor.", most of the theater replied "Duuuuuuuuuuuh" in response.  

And yeah, my best movie experience too.  And count me in as a huge fan of 80s slasher movies.

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m a pretty hardcore film buff myself. I can’t say horror is my favorite genre (that would definitely be crime), but it’s up there. My most impressive collection is probably my movies themselves. I try to buy the good stuff when it comes to that (Criterion, Arrow, etc). I have no idea how many I currently have. Would be way more but I sold off most of my DVD’s when I started collecting Blu-rays. 

Horror was once my favorite genre, but so many current horror films have traded their souls for loud-volume jump scares and overblown CGI.  I think the last horror movies to make an impact on me were the Japanese invasion in the early 2000s (The Ring and The Grudge).  Wasn't a fan of the sequels to either one.  Never saw Ringu or Ju-On (the original Japanese films that were remade the The Ring and The Grudge here), but I may check those out sometime.  

But I like all genres of movies in general (thrillers, dramas, and crime most of all...and just about anything Scorsese...never was a huge Tatarantino guy)...except for rom-coms and chick flicks.  I just find both of those hard to take.  

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

@SterioDesignthat right wall is like 80% nightmare fuel and then good old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in there and Gizmo

EDIT: and a Talkboy

EDIT 2: is that a prop map from the Goonies, or a replica?!

Man the longer I look at that picture the more I find...

Gotta say SD, that’s an impressive collection. Awesome looking room.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When the nurse takes off her top and says "Do you like my body Joel?", damned near EVERY male in attendance yelled "YEAH!"

Awkward as a 10 year old when you're with your mom, I can attest to that. 

Edited by mfitz804

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Horror was once my favorite genre, but so many current horror films have traded their souls for loud-volume jump scares and overblown CGI.  I think the last horror movies to make an impact on me were the Japanese invasion in the early 2000s (The Ring and The Grudge).  Wasn't a fan of the sequels to either one.  Never saw Ringu or Ju-On (the original Japanese films that were remade the The Ring and The Grudge here), but I may check those out sometime.  

But I like all genres of movies in general (thrillers, dramas, and crime most of all...and just about anything Scorsese...never was a huge Tatarantino guy)...except for rom-coms and chick flicks.  I just find both of those hard to take.  

There’s actually been a bit of a revival with some good horror in recent years. Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar), Robert Eggers (The VVitch, The Lighthouse), Jordan Peele (Get Out, Us), etc. I’m all in on anything those guys do going forward. I also really like Mike Flanagan who did Dr. Sleep and the Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Here is my collection. I basically have a wall dedicated to DVD’s and Blu-Rays lol. 

B604F205-811C-43E7-90FD-E60FC57F688E.jpeg

• Like 1