2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ofc he’s not untouchable, but to include him along with a 1st for a guy that has 90 points in 202 GP (on a really good team) would have been a bad trade. 

Honestly, its almost like trading Zacha and a first for Zacha. I would have passed as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

If anything this ask makes me lose any kind of hope in dealing for Nylander or Marner. If they’re asking that much for Kap there’s no way I’d pay what they want for Nylander or Marner.

You're probably right, although trading either of those guys, especially Marner, comes with an increased chance to reduce payroll. So they may be willing to take less than you think (but still more than what they asked for Kapanen). 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You're probably right, although trading either of those guys, especially Marner, comes with an increased chance to reduce payroll. So they may be willing to take less than you think (but still more than what they asked for Kapanen). 

Marner would probably cost something like 1 of the 1sts, Boqvist, Severson, and something else- at least one or two other picks, and maybe a Joey Anderson, Kuokkanen and/or a Merkley. I’m guessing, obviously. But I’d have to think the cost would be along these lines. In other words, not cheap.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marner would probably cost something like 1 of the 1sts, Boqvist, Severson, and something else- at least one or two other picks, and maybe a Joey Anderson, Kuokkanen and/or a Merkley. I’m guessing, obviously. But I’d have to think the cost would be along these lines. In other words, not cheap.

I'd be listening at that price. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd be listening at that price. 

Me too.... and I could be off on the value, I have no idea lol. But Nico and Jack are untouchable, obviously. Maybe they want Ty Smith instead of Severson? Another ELC for them instead of a guy in Severson already making some bank who has just about reached his ceiling. 

27 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Kapanen is a good option in bottom for full packaged team  or for high quality center.

Zacha is avarage or little above avarage third line center. Kapanen doesn't worth 1st round pick this year. With Zacha even more. It's good move from Fitz.

But I don't think Pavel is untouchable. One on one - it's a different question

IMO, Zacha is going no where. He's big, good along the walls, has some speed & his hands "might" get better. He's not going to be the 50-60 pt. hype when he was drafted. I know I'm in the minority here as far as 37 is concerned. For the price we pay him, he'd be effective on 3rd/4th line as well on the wing. Trav has only a couple years left.  Teams want size, skating ability, even if he's finishing skills aren't very good.  I'll bet all teams ask about Zacha's availability. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

IMO, Zacha is going no where. He's big, good along the walls, has some speed & his hands "might" get better. He's not going to be the 50-60 pt. hype when he was drafted. I know I'm in the minority here as far as 37 is concerned. For the price we pay him, he'd be effective on 3rd/4th line as well on the wing. Trav has only a couple years left.  Teams want size, skating ability, even if he's finishing skills aren't very good.  I'll bet all teams ask about Zacha's availability. 

Agreed, he “almost” has improved!!

In all seriousness, as much fun as I have at his expense, I think he’ll be a good 3rd or 4th liner. Obviously not what you want from such a high pick, but these things happen. You also aren’t paying him like a 6th overall who becomes a first liner, which in theory gives you more money to work with.

We have the “more money” part, it’s time to implement the “work with” part of the plan. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Something I am excited about, aside of just getting to actually watch the team play again, is seeing if some of these lower depth young guys develop into anything. Merkley and Kuokkanen are two. I liked the little we saw from Merkley after the Hall trade. Anderson is also going to need to take a step forward if he wants to stick around the NHL roster full time.

Not to get into a giant Zacha debate but he shows flashes here and there. I'll be interested to see if Ruff's coaching/play style helps him at all.

Zacha and Coleman together made NJ dangerous down a man. I almost preferred them to take a penalty than get a power-play lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Zacha and Coleman together made NJ dangerous down a man. I almost preferred them to take a penalty than get a power-play lol.

It was almost Madden-Pandolfoesque.

I remember some of those seasons, we’d take a penalty and I wouldn’t even get upset because it felt like we had a better chance to score. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It was almost Madden-Pandolfoesque.

I remember some of those seasons, we’d take a penalty and I wouldn’t even get upset because it felt like we had a better chance to score. 

You're getting more subtle with these jokes every day

3 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm zacha's guy. He is a good third line player statistically. And I still think he has time to grow. 

2 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Arizona stripped of their 2020 2nd AND 2021 1st for combine violation.
That hurts... 

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-forfeit-two-draft-picks-for-violating-combine-testing-policy-1.1514925

Hey at least they still have their 2020 first.

No wait, they gave that to us for a couple months of Taylor Hall and one playoff win. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Not gonna walk back my comments about the Zacha inquiry, but my point didn't come across as what I intended it to do and woof did it backfire. My bad.

While I was looking at our free agency crop, I'm thinking we're gonna keep all of our UFA's but this isn't Franchise Mode in NHL so... maybe?

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Hey at least they still have their 2020 first.

No wait, they gave that to us for a couple months of Taylor Hall and one playoff win. 

If they miss the playoffs next year...   does their lottery odds get evenly distributed?

Or do they just give them to the big market team they want to push?   :)

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Not gonna walk back my comments about the Zacha inquiry, but my point didn't come across as what I intended it to do and woof did it backfire. My bad.

While I was looking at our free agency crop, I'm thinking we're gonna keep all of our UFA's but this isn't Franchise Mode in NHL so... maybe?

I spent a minute to remember our UFA. I think the question of whether New Jersey will sign their free agents or whether they will enter the market is the most-most insignificant question in the entire League this offseason. Question can New Jersey help unload the cap to Edmonton with Russell or Chicago with Saad/Maata and taking their first-round picks - the most important question in the entire League. For me. We could help with Steen in blues for second round pick. Second important question.

9 hours ago, Guadana said:

I spent a minute to remember our UFA. I think the question of whether New Jersey will sign their free agents or whether they will enter the market is the most-most insignificant question in the entire League this offseason. Question can New Jersey help unload the cap to Edmonton with Russell or Chicago with Saad/Maata and taking their first-round picks - the most important question in the entire League. For me. We could help with Steen in blues for second round pick. Second important question.

I wonder what Vancouver would give up for a team to take Loui Eriksons $6m cap hit for the next two seasons? They have to give Petterson and Quinn Hughes new contracts at the end of next season.

20 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I wonder what Vancouver would give up for a team to take Loui Eriksons $6m cap hit for the next two seasons? They have to give Petterson and Quinn Hughes new contracts at the end of next season.

We are own their first, second isn’t enough for 12mill. Today devils have many option with retaining.

• Like 1