2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

16 hours ago, Guadana said:

I spent a minute to remember our UFA. I think the question of whether New Jersey will sign their free agents or whether they will enter the market is the most-most insignificant question in the entire League this offseason. Question can New Jersey help unload the cap to Edmonton with Russell or Chicago with Saad/Maata and taking their first-round picks - the most important question in the entire League. For me. We could help with Steen in blues for second round pick. Second important question.

I'd definitely take Steen and a few picks to free up some space for the Blues. He'd be solid bottom 6, even with his injury tendency lately, for just one year.

Maata would be good too, even with $4.5m for two years. I mean I think he is better than Mueller, just more expensive.

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Can we just end this failed experiment Mickey Mouse organization that is the Arizona Coyotes?  Give Hartford or Quebec a team for Christ's sake.

Fast forward 11 years, RWTD's commends drive Arizona to an overhaul as they hoist their first Cup.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

No one has mentioned Kevin Rooney. Think Fitz will bring him back on a 2 way? He's a decent 4th line center.  Good on PK.  How does he rank among 4th line centers? 

Good question, and with Coleman being gone now, his value on the PK just went up.  For the right price, I'd keep him around as a 4th line/depth player.  He finally showed the ability to find the scoresheet a little bit last year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Good question, and with Coleman being gone now, his value on the PK just went up.  For the right price, I'd keep him around as a 4th line/depth player.  He finally showed the ability to find the scoresheet a little bit last year.

I agree, but I have to add, its Kevin Rooney, is there any chance he'd be looking for the WRONG price?

• Like 1

If nothing goes better(or worse) we will draft three times in first round this year. it will take a year, two or three for new players to get to the squad. We have plenty of young players to give them complete chance. This year, or two we will be in rebuild still. I better want to see Bastian and McLeod on regular basis. At the same time they will not take someone else's place in the AHL.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 7:28 PM, aylbert said:

Im just glad we had no interest...   and that him talking with us led to his departure in Arizona...

Wait I thought we hired him?  Well, not the Devils so much as "Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment" group.  It hasn't been announced yet formally but I'm pretty certain they brought him on to a high level position in that organization.

20 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wait I thought we hired him?  Well, not the Devils so much as "Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment" group.  It hasn't been announced yet formally but I'm pretty certain they brought him on to a high level position in that organization.

I didn't think we hired him...    but admittedly have done a deep dive if we later had interest.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/29/john-chaykas-coyotes-resignation-came-after-devils-pursuit/

"According to multiple reports, Chayka’s relationship with new team owner Alex Meruelo was irrevocably damaged when the general manager lied about having a job interview with the Devils — owned by the 76ers-led Josh Harris and David Blitzer, who are also bidding to take control of the Mets — who reportedly then were uninterested in hiring Chayka."

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Blues traded Jake Allen and a 7th to the Habs for a 3rd and 7th.

essentially getting a 3rd for $4m+ in cap space.

Habs now have 3 goalies under contract through next year, not including Kinkaid

trying to shed salary for their captain probably. And MTL needed a backup for price so

i could see MTL picking Askarov too, the timing could be a good transition for them. They will still pay Price for another 6 years at 10.5m so that'd give Askarov plenty of time to develop.

Edited by SterioDesign

45 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

trying to shed salary for their captain probably. And MTL needed a backup for price so

i could see MTL picking Askarov too, the timing could be a good transition for them. They will still pay Price for another 6 years at 10.5m so that'd give Askarov plenty of time to develop.

I know it pretty much goes without saying but man would it have been nice to have a guy like Allen backing up Mac, granted we have needed a suitor for Schneider.

As I typed that I also fell into the “it’s summer and hot as hell, must be the middle of the off-season” trap. Freaking COVID screwing up timelines

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I know it pretty much goes without saying but man would it have been nice to have a guy like Allen backing up Mac, granted we have needed a suitor for Schneider.

As I typed that I also fell into the “it’s summer and hot as hell, must be the middle of the off-season” trap. Freaking COVID screwing up timelines

rumours about Pittsburgh trading one of their 2 goalies, possibly murray and bringing back MAF as a backup to mentor the young one

17 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

rumours about Pittsburgh trading one of their 2 goalies, possibly murray and bringing back MAF as a backup to mentor the young one

That'd be insane.  I think Vegas would be crazy to ship MAF out, even with the stupid recent controversy.  I know he was kinda garbage this season but I don't think he's completely done.

Likewise, I think it'd be crazy for Pittsburgh to trade Murray or Jarry for him.  I don't see MAF sliding into a backup role quietly, and they could probably get better value for those goalies if they looked elsewhere imo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That'd be insane.  I think Vegas would be crazy to ship MAF out, even with the stupid recent controversy.  I know he was kinda garbage this season but I don't think he's completely done.

Likewise, I think it'd be crazy for Pittsburgh to trade Murray or Jarry for him.  I don't see MAF sliding into a backup role quietly, and they could probably get better value for those goalies if they looked elsewhere imo.

Pitt will probably need to move a goalie since both are expiring RFAs and they only have about $9m in space to play with, but agreed wholeheartedly about Flower, he is Vegas (granted he was Pitt, too). 

Lehner has absolutely been pretty much lights out this post season, but man, does he not shy away from controversy. Political affiliation aside, his comments about substance abuse and how if he wasn't his race he would be shunned was straight up ignorant when looking at guys who have recovered and done well such as Fuhr, Kane or Tootoo. Putting that aside, I don't see Flower being an easy move because of his cap hit ($7m) and being 35.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Listening to the latest episode of Spittin Chiclets and RA just casually mentioned Patrik Elias should be in the HoF (they were talking about Elias Sports Bureau). He just moved up a notch in my book. 

Yeah, Whit was also saying a few months ago Elias should be in, eventually. Echoing a lot of what we tend to say here, that he should be but if guys like Lowe and Wilson are in, there's no excuse for him and Mogilny not to be.

• Like 2