Jump to content
CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s rough.

Actually, that's Georges Laraque.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Actually, that's Georges Laraque.

yeah that's the real joke lol they got the wrong picture lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that's the real joke lol they got the wrong picture lol

The crazy thing is, to get that wrong, they literally had to Google "black NHL player Montreal", rather than simply "Donald Brashear" which would've yielded any number pictures that were actually of him.

Edited by NJDfan1711

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The crazy thing is, to get that wrong, they literally had to Google "black NHL player Montreal", rather than simply "Donald Brashear" which would've yielded any number pictures that were actually of him.

I decided to try it. Your search revealed that Laraque picture, several others, and PK Subban. No Brashear to be found. 

Not for nothing, but those guys look nothing alike. Now, if you want to say Laraque looks a bit like KRS One's younger brother, you might be right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I decided to try it. Your search revealed that Laraque picture, several others, and PK Subban. No Brashear to be found. 

Not for nothing, but those guys look nothing alike. Now, if you want to say Laraque looks a bit like KRS One's younger brother, you might be right. 

Yeah exactly.  That's what I mean, he had to go out of his way to find that picture of Laraque...what other search term would produce that picture besides specifically searching for a black NHL player on Montreal?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah exactly.  That's what I mean, he had to go out of his way to find that picture of Laraque...what other search term would produce that picture besides specifically searching for a black NHL player on Montreal?  

Probably the name Georges Laraque would work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably the name Georges Laraque would work. 

Right, that's my point though - besides specifically typing in Georges Laraque, which wouldn't make sense because the article wasn't about him, how would you possibly come across that photo other than searching what I mentioned?  It just seems so unnecessary and that the guy had to purposefully search for the word 'black' along with NHL player, when it would've been much easier, and logical, to search for the guy in question by name.

Edited by NJDfan1711

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not shaming him for working at Tim Hortons but I don't feel bad for a guy who manged to somehow blow over 12 million dollars... 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/donald-brashear

It is admirable for him to even be out working a job considering his situation. A lot of guys might think they're above that. He has had some issues, legal and with drugs, which, given the type of player he was, could be at least in part due to his role as an enforcer. Just speculating. Either way, if he is trying to put things back together no one should be wagging their finger at him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Right, that's my point though - besides specifically typing in Georges Laraque, which wouldn't make sense because the article wasn't about him, how would you possibly come across that photo other than searching what I mentioned?  It just seems so unnecessary and that the guy had to purposefully search for the word 'black' along with NHL player, when it would've been much easier, and logical, to search for the guy in question by name.

Yeah basically “black hockey player”. It’s funny they got the wrong one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

 

"Write this down. We want it blue, orange, and white."
"Blue and orange, got it."
"And white... You got that part too, right? Did you write it?"
"Ugh, yes, I heard you, I don't need to write it down. Whatever."

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is admirable for him to even be out working a job considering his situation. A lot of guys might think they're above that. He has had some issues, legal and with drugs, which, given the type of player he was, could be at least in part due to his role as an enforcer. Just speculating. Either way, if he is trying to put things back together no one should be wagging their finger at him.

Exactly.  Anybody willing to work and contribute to society should never be shamed for it.  What sort of nonsensical lack of human empathy does it take to attack people for being willing to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and rebuild their lives?  People make mistakes, have bad luck, make bad choices and lots of other things.  The last thing they need to someone sanctimonious twit making their life harder.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

Exactly.  Anybody willing to work and contribute to society should never be shamed for it.  What sort of nonsensical lack of human empathy does it take to attack people for being willing to pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and rebuild their lives?  People make mistakes, have bad luck, make bad choices and lots of other things.  The last thing they need to someone sanctimonious twit making their life harder.

Makes me think of the actor who used to be on the Cosby Show working at Trader Joe’s. That woman who put him on blast was awful to do that. It turned out great for him though, as a lot of people rallied around him, and it led to him getting more acting work. Life is hard. Everyone needs to make ends meet and keep a roof over their head and food on their table. Brashear’s is certainly not a situation anyone would want to find themselves in, but I always respect anyone who works hard and is an honest person. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are nicer than I am, I really don't feel that bad for someone who couldn't manage to keep enough of his 12 million dollars to be set for the rest of his life. Hire a personal accountant instead of buying stupid cars and dumb sh!t. 

I don't care that he's working at Tim Hortons, there's nothing wrong with that but it doesn't take away from the fact that he's a moron for blowing all that money in the first place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Makes me think of the actor who used to be on the Cosby Show working at Trader Joe’s. That woman who put him on blast was awful to do that. It turned out great for him though, as a lot of people rallied around him, and it led to him getting more acting work. Life is hard. Everyone needs to make ends meet and keep a roof over their head and food on their table. Brashear’s is certainly not a situation anyone would want to find themselves in, but I always respect anyone who works hard and is an honest person. 

That guy never made anywhere near the amount of money that Brashear did. He was known for one side character on that show and did very brief appearances on a few other shows over the years. He probably never even cracked $500,000 for acting. It's not the same situation at all to me. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That guy never made anywhere near the amount of money that Brashear did. He was known for one side character on that show and did very brief appearances on a few other shows over the years. He probably never even cracked $500,000 for acting. It's not the same situation at all to me. 

I’m not saying it’s the same situation, I was talking about how Brashear was being ‘job shamed’, like he’s some loser. It’s similar in that regard.

Edited by MadDog2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m not saying it’s the same situation, I was talking about how Brashear was being ‘job shamed’, like he’s some loser. It’s similar in that regard.

People working normal jobs aren't just some losers, some people just don't get any breaks or opportunities in life and bad sh!t does happen to people but I'd still argue that a guy who manged to blow 12 million is a loser but I guess that makes me an a**hole nowadays lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd argue that a guy who manged to blow 12 million is a loser but I guess that makes me an a$$hole nowadays lol

It certainly makes him not smart, it doesn’t necessarily make him an a$$hole. Empathy isn’t a bad thing. It’s not always black and white. Life has quite a bit of grey.

Edited by MadDog2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadDog2020 said:

It certainly makes him not smart, it doesn’t necessarily make him an a$$hole. Empathy isn’t a bad thing. It’s not always black and white. Life has quite a bit of grey.

You were too quick, I updated my post and I wasn't calling him an a**hole, I was talking about myself lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

You were too quick, I updated my post and I wasn't calling him an a**hole, I was talking about myself lol

Yeah I saw that after I posted lol. I read that too fast.

Edited by MadDog2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.