2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

27 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Lost 9 teeth, missed a period and came back for the third. Also playing tonight. Name another sport where this kind of toughness?  I'll wait.

And he's going to keep the ironman streak alive at 821 tonight.  Here's the top 10 for anyone interested.

image.png.4da9a252d641d1f5acb7b06c0d0d9aac.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pretty sh!tty non-hockey play there. Any injury caused by an act outside of an actual hockey play should mandate a min 10 game suspension. Didn't realize Bortuzzo had such a history of nasty crosschecks.

What a scumbag POS. 

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pretty sh!tty non-hockey play there. Any injury caused by an act outside of an actual hockey play should mandate a min 10 game suspension. Didn't realize Bortuzzo had such a history of nasty crosschecks.

I was watching with the volune off and my initial reaction was, “he got 4 games for THAT??”. But he didn’t get suspended for the first one, but for the one he dished out with his opponent laid out and prone after the play. 

Total douche move, and the film of his prior incidents shows he did the same thing on one of the previous plays he was suspended for. 

• Like 1

Random question for you all - has the Devils being total garbage this season diminished anyone else's interest in the NHL overall this season?

Like, usually I'm big-time into the day-to-day news and I find myself watching at least 5-10 games a week.  But this season I'm just not there.  At least not yet.

I think the letdown has just killed it for me.  And it bums me out because I usually really enjoy following the various storylines throughout the season.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Random question for you all - has the Devils being total garbage this season diminished anyone else's interest in the NHL overall this season?

Like, usually I'm big-time into the day-to-day news and I find myself watching at least 5-10 games a week.  But this season I'm just not there.  At least not yet.

I think the letdown has just killed it for me.  And it bums me out because I usually really enjoy following the various storylines throughout the season.

Unless it's the playoffs or an outdoor game I haven't bothered to watch the rest of the league for years now. I just don't care and reading this thread is enough for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I hate to say it but yes it does.  I found myself listening to NHL radio and reading anything and everything I could in 17-18 for the first time in years.  Now I rarely put on NHL radio on my commute and I can't really find myself watching anything outside Devils games.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I feel the same way. I'm usually very excited about the sport in general. Plus we came into the season as one of the big stories and now if we are mentioned on any NHL or hockey show its "what happened to the Devils who were supposed to be one of the most improved teams" or  "where will Taylor Hall go?"

Not for me really I just look around for a more interesting game on most nights. Don't get me wrong it sucks we aren't very good but at my age you just turn the page a little quicker and don't let the little things bother you like your favorite team still blowing goats. :shrugs:

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

For me it's the lack of progress seen from the team and so many individual players. That and the team don't seem to enjoy the game. I know it's hard to have fun when you are losing. But the organisation feels as sterile as it did under Lou's management in terms of joy at the moment. Even PK has gone quiet. 

19 hours ago, Crisis said:

And he's going to keep the ironman streak alive at 821 tonight.  Here's the top 10 for anyone interested.

image.png.4da9a252d641d1f5acb7b06c0d0d9aac.png

That's fvcking awesome.  I hope he gets the record. Only two more seasons.

Even better, the year he was traded from Arizona to New York, he played in 84 games that season. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel the same way. I'm usually very excited about the sport in general. Plus we came into the season as one of the big stories and now if we are mentioned on any NHL or hockey show its "what happened to the Devils who were supposed to be one of the most improved teams" or  "where will Taylor Hall go?"

It's hard not to feel this way, but I'm doing my best to stay motivated and interested.  To be honest, knowing that the local team here by me lit the league up last year and sh!t the bed in the post season, and is now off the a shaky start, is making me realize that it's a long season, and even teams that look like the best of the best can go through sh!t.  I guess I'm just in somewhat of a lull when it comes to the Devils right now.  We need something like a Taylor Hall point streak to get our spirits up.  Or like a Blackwood shutout streak.  Or a coach firing streak.  I dunno, something.  

Plus, I think the fact that the Mets, and really the Giants, are both pretty crappy now too, has curtailed my fandom a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still a diehard, I even watched a little of that sh!tty Giants/Bears game on my small laptop screen yesterday...it wasn't really enjoyable, but I did, because I'm a fan - so I think in general all of that has just subdued things a bit for me, and it's trickled down into how I feel about the Devils so far this season.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's hard not to feel this way, but I'm doing my best to stay motivated and interested.  To be honest, knowing that the local team here by me lit the league up last year and sh!t the bed in the post season, and is now off the a shaky start, is making me realize that it's a long season, and even teams that look like the best of the best can go through sh!t.  I guess I'm just in somewhat of a lull when it comes to the Devils right now.  We need something like a Taylor Hall point streak to get our spirits up.  Or like a Blackwood shutout streak.  Or a coach firing streak.  I dunno, something.  

Plus, I think the fact that the Mets, and really the Giants, are both pretty crappy now too, has curtailed my fandom a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still a diehard, I even watched a little of that sh!tty Giants/Bears game on my small laptop screen yesterday...it wasn't really enjoyable, but I did, because I'm a fan - so I think in general all of that has just subdued things a bit for me, and it's trickled down into how I feel about the Devils so far this season.

I'd love some excitement like what you mentioned. Hughes seems close to breaking out a little so that will be fun to watch. He's been buzzing around the ice even more than usual. 

And as for your other point, the fact that the Jets are giving me as much to be happy about as the Devils says everything about this season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL at Marleau having an 'active' streak at sixth, even though he's older than dirt.  But he really has been remarkable...since '97-98 his LEAST amount of games played is 74, as a rookie (not counting 48-48 in the lockout year).

I've discussed Marleau a bunch of times...guy basically didn't miss a game throughout his 30s.  Think he missed one playoff game throughout that decade. 

If he plays in the rest of Sharks' games this year, he'll be in third in all-time GP all by himself...he'd finish the season with 1735 GP.  Only NHLers that would still be ahead of him would be Gordie Howe (1767) and Mark Messier (1756).  Can't see him breaking that record, mostly because it's hard to see him playing past this season...feels like this is truly going to be it for him. 

Holy sh!t, I didn't realize Marleau was that close to Howe and Messier.   I was kind of wondering how anyone would've been close to Howe considering he played until he was 50, but forgot that he took basically a decade off and essentially that was just one season - he effectively retired at 40.  Also I suppose it makes sense that the seasons were a bit shorter back then - when he came into the league they had just switched from 50 to 60 games, and then 3 years later they bumped it to 70, and for the most part he didn't miss much time and frequently played the full 70 - it's conceivable if he had 82 game seasons that he'd probably have another 100 or so games under his belt, making his record that much harder to break.  

I also thought someone like Chelios, who played until I think 48, probably would've been higher on the list, but it looks lie he missed some time throughout his career for various reasons, so although he gets credit for tenure, he wasn't always the most durable.  It's crazy to think that a guy like Jagr who played 3 seasons overseas would probably have put this record out of reach had he played even one or two of those seasons in the NHL.  

I think Marleau, if he wants it, has a chance to break the record next year - I mean, he's only 40 - think how many guys have played into their early 40s over the last several years.  Even Chara is still in the league at 42 right now.

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t, I didn't realize Marleau was that close to Howe and Messier.   I was kind of wondering how anyone would've been close to Howe considering he played until he was 50, but forgot that he took basically a decade off and essentially that was just one season - he effectively retired at 40.  Also I suppose it makes sense that the seasons were a bit shorter back then - when he came into the league they had just switched from 50 to 60 games, and then 3 years later they bumped it to 70, and for the most part he didn't miss much time and frequently played the full 70 - it's conceivable if he had 82 game seasons that he'd probably have another 100 or so games under his belt, making his record that much harder to break.  

I also thought someone like Chelios, who played until I think 48, probably would've been higher on the list, but it looks lie he missed some time throughout his career for various reasons, so although he gets credit for tenure, he wasn't always the most durable.  It's crazy to think that a guy like Jagr who played 3 seasons overseas would probably have put this record out of reach had he played even one or two of those seasons in the NHL.  

I think Marleau, if he wants it, has a chance to break the record next year - I mean, he's only 40 - think how many guys have played into their early 40s over the last several years.  Even Chara is still in the league at 42 right now.

Marleau was freakishly healthy throughout his career...what's sad is of course he that he lost a full season in 2004-05 and 34 games in 2012-13.  Hard to say for sure, but he could've had the all-time GP record already...and due to the fact that he pretty much never misses games, even now he still has a shot at it, especially because he's relatively young for having played in so many games.

His Age 37 and 38 years were actually pretty good (27 goals each season)...he only has 21 goals and 26 assists since the start of the 2018-19 season (103 GP), so you wonder if SJ would give him another low-cost "Thanks for everything" one-year deal, just to give him a shot at breaking the record.  It's funny in a way, because even though Marleau had a very good career and was pretty steady (especially from 2002-2018), he really was the ultimate compiler...556 G and 620 A, but it took him a LOT of games to get those numbers...1678 and counting.  Will be interesting to see if he did enough to compile his way into the HHOF...if he was in MLB, he's the guy who averages about 14-15 wins a year, never wins a Cy Young or a World Series, never really stands out as being dominant or among the very best out of his peers...but then you look up, and he's 41 years old, still pitching well enough to be at the end of someone's rotation, and is somehow within striking distance of 300 wins.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

There was a longer video on MSG last night in the post game that showed Bennington also giving the guy a shot after he picked himself up and made his way to the corner. Hadn't seen that part before.

Not trying to fan the flames here but jesus I had no idea how good Panarin was after rarely seeing him when he was in Columbus. 

46 minutes ago, titans04 said:

There was a longer video on MSG last night in the post game that showed Bennington also giving the guy a shot after he picked himself up and made his way to the corner. Hadn't seen that part before.

Not trying to fan the flames here but jesus I had no idea how good Panarin was after rarely seeing him when he was in Columbus. 

And to think the Blackhawks traded him away for Brandon Saad..

• Haha 1