Jump to content

2019-20 Around the League Thread


CommonDreads
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 2/8/2020 at 9:54 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of the Yotes...8-11-3 now since acquiring Hall.  Hanging onto that 2nd WC berth, but the teams behind them have multiple games in hand.  

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

Image result for fake sympathy gif

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Reading Habs fans comments about Kovy right now is hilarious and quite interesting.

"he's a real team player"

"he's good for our young guys"

"you can tell he loves hockey and loves playing for MTL"

"he said in an interview he loves to play in MTL so he's going to re-sign with us for sure" 

"he was the missing key to our success"

 

It's not impossible that he's re-signing there but if ANY better team come asking he'll go there for sure instead IMO. He's likely doing what Radulov did, went to MTL to be in the spotlight to win his next contract then leave

Oh boy you nailed it, he and his agent are really working the PR right now.  

The latest article - something like "I don't want to talk contract extension right now because I don't want to take the focus away from the team" is such colossal bullsh!t.  But their fanbase is eating this sh!t up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh boy you nailed it, he and his agent are really working the PR right now.  

The latest article - something like "I don't want to talk contract extension right now because I don't want to take the focus away from the team" is such colossal bullsh!t.  But their fanbase is eating this sh!t up.

He's a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Sadly, he's still got that marquee name attached to him where he's able to dupe a team (and their fans) into thinking he's genuine, and that he's not selfish and/or a manipulator.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

Well other than literally being closer in that his team is in playoff position, anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well other than literally being closer in that his team is in playoff position, anyway. 

I see it's Ballbuster Monday.  😒

They're actually not in a playoff spot at the moment.  They're 1 point out, having played more game as well.  They're 8-11-3 in their last 22, and by all accounts, trending in the wrong direction as we enter the last quarter of the season, i.e. the playoff push. 

Also, comparatively speaking, they have only 11 more points than us, with the Devils having 3 games in hand.  As I had pointed out in another thread last week, if we were to win those games, that lead is just 5 points - pretty insignificant.  

So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, at the moment I'd consider Hall to really not be much better off than when he was with us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That brings a small smile to my face.  Arizona was a pretty good team early on this season, and you'd think after acquiring Hall their record with him would be at least 11-8-3 which in and of itself is kind of modest - but the fact that it's reverse, and they have a negative record with him, is pretty damn funny.  I imagine he can't be very happy right now, as it seems he's not really any closer to a Cup than he was with us.  I mentioned this in another thread last week, but I don't see any way he stays with them after this season.  

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

As you've said in the past, it is looking more and more like that MVP year might be the anomaly. I'm sure that a few GMs will throw plenty of money at him but I'm starting to think it won't be the bidding war that his agent was planning on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

As you've said in the past, it is looking more and more like that MVP year might be the anomaly. I'm sure that a few GMs will throw plenty of money at him but I'm starting to think it won't be the bidding war that his agent was planning on. 

I doubt that he would take this kind of a risk, but based on this season and last (to be fair, he can still go on a run this season, which would obviously help his value), he might be a solid candidate to take a "Bet on myself", one-year deal with a team looking to get over the hump (but may not have the cap space to pay him a ton)...if he has a big year (staying healthy AND turning in one of his better seasons), he can go UFA again and cash in a lot more than he would this offseason.

BUT, I do think there will still be a GM willing to pony up enough that he won't risk passing up multiple years at nice coin.  But like you said, I don't see this huge bidding war for his services.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two teams this season have performed better without him in the lineup than with:

Devils:  9-16-5 with him, 11-8-5 without

Yotes:  8-11-3 with him, 19-12-4 without

Not to put all of that on Taylor, but if/when Taylor's agent is trying to sell other teams on what a difference having him in their lineups will make, I can see at least one GM thinking, "Oh really...how and why?"  He hasn't exactly made a great case for himself in that regard (though he does have one GIANT chip to play, that being his MVP season of course).  

Yep.  The guy is still a good player and putting up respectable numbers, but nothing at all quite like that MVP season he had for us.  While he's still a valuable piece on most teams, he doesn't seem like the impact player that moves the needle, so I agree that he's probably not going to get the bidding war that people initially expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BUT, I do think there will still be a GM willing to pony up enough that he won't risk passing up multiple years at nice coin.  But like you said, I don't see this huge bidding war for his services.  

Just from the pure entertainment aspect, I wonder if Lou would make a run at him after losing out on Panarin. That could make for some fun Islander-Devils games 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jagknife said:


You can take Hynes out of Jersey, but he still has zero clue how to manage talented players. Such an incompetent moron.

Has to establish that culture brah, has to reward his hard working grinders brah, has to send the right message brah..

Total joke.  I'd be livid as a Preds fan.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Devils PR machine has been doing overtime on trying to promote what swell guys Rooney and Hayden are.  Even the beat writers a few weeks ago were gushing about how nice these guys are despite their play.

I am taking this as an indication of the Devils making some big moves at the deadline.  They want to make sure we know them nice and well since actual good players will be moved.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Devils PR machine has been doing overtime on trying to promote what swell guys Rooney and Hayden are.  Even the beat writers a few weeks ago were gushing about how nice these guys are despite their play.

I am taking this as an indication of the Devils making some big moves at the deadline.  They want to make sure we know them nice and well since actual good players will be moved.

Losing those two wouldn't exactly be a big move

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Losing those two wouldn't exactly be a big move

I'm pretty sure he think the exact opposite...
I may be wrong with my broken english but what i understand is that the Devils PR promote (bad) players that will still be there after the trade deadline ... 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.