Jump to content
CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

Recommended Posts

Not gonna lie, after all the verbal BJs the hockey world gave Buffalo after yet another October/November championship, seeing them come right back to earth and be within striking distance of us makes me smile. We want to complain about being poorly run? Look at that train wreck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Not gonna lie, after all the verbal BJs the hockey world gave Buffalo after yet another October/November championship, seeing them come right back to earth and be within striking distance of us makes me smile. We want to complain about being poorly run? Look at that train wreck.

It really is amazing how the last few years they've started off good, and as you said, some people predicted and said that they were destined for a playoff berth and had a real look at potentially being Cup finalists, only to see them pretty much fizzle back to mediocrity, or worse, seemingly ever year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This is working out well.

 

 

We may have gotten something in exchange for nothing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how to interpret this, what happens if he doesn't play at all or less than 5 season games and they miss the playoffs?

 

*Conditions: New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pick if he doesn’t play the minimum. Which means we got a prospect for a guy that would’ve sat in the press box and then left in free agency. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

No pick if he doesn’t play the minimum. Which means we got a prospect for a guy that would’ve sat in the press box and then left in free agency. 

The heist of the century! :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The heist of the century! :D

Lol sure, I bet the new guy will be an All Star and Hart Trophy winner 8 years in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No pick if he doesn’t play the minimum. Which means we got a prospect for a guy that would’ve sat in the press box and then left in free agency. 

So the deal is one-for-one...

Too soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So the deal is one-for-one...

Too soon?

That would more be one for zero, but I’ll allow it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be funny if there was a condition that we had to give Kuokanen back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Would be funny if there was a condition that we had to give Kuokanen back

so you're the kind of guy who laugh at funerals i assume... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Would be funny if there was a condition that we had to give Kuokanen back

They can go Kuokk themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rags beat the Caps in OT on the back of a 5 goal game by Zibanejad. Him and Panarin are really carrying them right now. Both them Philly and playing so well is really making me want this season to end even more than I already did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Rags beat the Caps in OT on the back of a 5 goal game by Zibanejad. Him and Panarin are really carrying them right now. Both them Philly and playing so well is really making me want this season to end even more than I already did. 

The "better" the Rangers and Philly are doing now the best. Well on paper anyway.

We know they are not good enough to win the cup now. So in an ideal world their older guys in their primes will slow down, impact them negatively. Kreider re-signing there is also good for us long-term. And them being a bubble team should technically get them worst players through the draft. 

So by the time we are ready to contend well they might not be in the way as much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The "better" the Rangers and Philly are doing now the best. Well on paper anyway.

We know they are not good enough to win the cup now. So in an ideal world their older guys in their primes will slow down, impact them negatively. Kreider re-signing there is also good for us long-term. And them being a bubble team should technically get them worst players through the draft. 

So by the time we are ready to contend well they might not be in the way as much

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zibanejad’s career high in points before last year was 51. He was on some bad teams, but also a bit of a late bloomer. We just gave to hope our kids breakout at some point like that, too. 

It just sucks because it looks like Panarin is finally going to be a FA that completely works out for the Rags. Had to happen at some point I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MB3 said:

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

This this a hundred times this. I want to print this and frame it. 

I know, rebuilds take time, yadda yadda. If the best thing we have out of the last 5 years is "well at the least the rangers playoff run probably won't be very fruitful" then its been a wasted 5 years. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MB3 said:

The culmination of being a fan of one of the most pathetic franchises in sports this past decade is saying “yay, our two biggest rivals are gonna make the playoffs. now they won’t have an early draft pick!” 

my friend is a rangers fan, one of the few good ones. over beers last night he was saying how happy he was, because it had felt so helpless cheering for those “hideously bad” rangers teams the past few years.

there is nothing “good for us!!!!!!” about their rebuild taking 10% of the time as ours while they celebrate their second best player (who would be our best by a goddamned country mile) score five goals in a single game as they’re galloping towards a playoff spot. 

i’m so goddamned sick of cheering for such a pitiful group of losers. 

Yet our fans were crying in their pillows when a guy who has never scored more than 36 points in a season was traded while calling a 55-point guy as too valuable to trade.

This is why I advocated for a complete teardown before the deadline.  The Rangers did it last season (or was it the season before?) where they wrote a letter to fans saying that they are tearing down the building and completely re-starting.

The Devils need to do the same and get the suck-stink out of the locker room and fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This this a hundred times this. I want to print this and frame it. 

I know, rebuilds take time, yadda yadda. If the best thing we have out of the last 5 years is "well at the least the rangers playoff run probably won't be very fruitful" then its been a wasted 5 years. 

I am constantly being told that 5 years is unrealistic and then I look at the Rangers and see otherwise.  I know they aren't winning the cup, but they seem to be way ahead of us in much shorter time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am constantly being told that 5 years is unrealistic and then I look at the Rangers and see otherwise.  I know they aren't winning the cup, but they seem to be way ahead of us in much shorter time.

When you make a deal like Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard and a 7th, Fall into the likes of Fox and Panarin and then are able to trade guys like Hayes and Zuccarello for what they did, it is easy to rebuild quicker.  When they decided to rebuild, they still had a decent team.  When we decided to rebuild, we had scraps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Devils need to do the same and get the suck-stink out of the locker room and fast.

Didn't we just do that?  I mean, there's only like 5 players still on the team from literally just two years ago when we last made the playoffs.  TWO YEARS.  It's incredible. You can't trade or cut every single player from your team after every season.  It's not a very good idea, and it's just not even possible anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am constantly being told that 5 years is unrealistic and then I look at the Rangers and see otherwise.  I know they aren't winning the cup, but they seem to be way ahead of us in much shorter time.

Yeah this idea that you need to be garbage for a decade with no signs of improvement until the team is "ready" is just plain silly. We can still build and maybe look competitive once in a while. Maybe after 5 years, having a season that isn't over in October isn't that much to ask

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CMONPETEYD said:

When you make a deal like Zibanejad and a 2nd for Brassard and a 7th, Fall into the likes of Fox and Panarin and then are able to trade guys like Hayes and Zuccarello for what they did, it is easy to rebuild quicker.  When they decided to rebuild, they still had a decent team.  When we decided to rebuild, we had scraps.

We still had Palmieri and I guess Wood.  The former would have brought back a good haul.  I guess 55 points is too much to lose for this team.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Didn't we just do that?  I mean, there's only like 5 players still on the team from literally just two years ago when we last made the playoffs.  TWO YEARS.  It's incredible. You can't trade or cut every single player from your team after every season.  It's not a very good idea, and it's just not even possible anyway. 

See above with Palmieri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.