CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah and the summer before they traded Nash, McDonagh, Miller, Stepan, Raanta, Grabner.. bought out Girardi. All those guys still had value.

Next summer they traded Skjei and Vesey. Bought out Shattenkirk. Flipped one of the first rounder they got for Trouba.

That's all good management

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah and the summer before they traded Nash, McDonagh, Miller, Stepan, Raanta, Grabner.. bought out Girardi. All those guys still had value.

Next summer they traded Skjei and Vesey. Bought out Shattenkirk. Flipped one of the first rounder they got for Trouba.

That's all good management

lol yup.  Meanwhile ours are hanging onto Palmieri for dear life.

Don't be hard on our best player Palms he's only 9 points behind DeAngelo on the season.

Nothing to see here.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol yup.  Meanwhile ours are hanging onto Palmieri for dear life.

Barring the overpayment which apparently never came, what they would have gotten for Palmieri probably wouldn't make much of a difference, especially given the possibility of already having three first rounders.  Shero played the wheeling and dealing game well and it looks like Fitzgerald can do it too.  And I have a bit more faith that Fitzgerald has a better idea of how to build a team that wins than Shero ever did.

What is slowly happening before our eyes is the team is being turned over to two people who for all I know have never put on ice skates in their lives.  A couple of low rent imitation Theo Epsteins. 

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Don't be hard on our best player Palms he's only 9 points behind DeAngelo, the defenseman, on the season.

Nothing to see here.

Fixed that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Barring the overpayment which apparently never came, what they would have gotten for Palmieri probably wouldn't make much of a difference, especially given the possibility of already having three first rounders.  Shero played the wheeling and dealing game well and it looks like Fitzgerald can do it too.  And I have a bit more faith that Fitzgerald has a better idea of how to build a team that wins than Shero ever did.

What is slowly happening before our eyes is the team is being turned over to two people who for all I know have never put on ice skates in their lives.  A couple of low rent imitation Theo Epsteins. 

Look on the bright side, we will have the best arsenal of weaponized cap space in the league going into this off-season.

• Shocking 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Look on the bright side, we will have the best arsenal of weaponized cap space in the league going into this off-season.

Sadly with these two clowns now running the show, weaponizing means firing blanks.

6 hours ago, titans04 said:

Don't be hard on our best player Palms he's only 9 points behind DeAngelo on the season.

Nothing to see here.

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fixed that.

Let's not forget Hughes has 52 points as well this season!!

Quinn that is.

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Let's not forget Hughes has 52 points as well this season!!

Quinn that is.

And Quinn was playing against college kids that couldn’t dream of being in the NHL at Jack’s age. 

*context*

• Like 1

ha? 

so in his rookie season (minus 5 games last year) he has 52 points this season playing defense.  I'm sorry I miss your point here it's even more remarkable to me after playing against lower competition if that's what your saying?

Just now, titans04 said:

ha? 

so in his rookie season (minus 5 games last year) he has 52 points this season playing defense.  I'm sorry I miss your point here it's even more remarkable to me after playing against lower competition if that's what your saying?

No, I’m saying if Jack followed his brothers path to the NHL he wouldn’t even have been in the league yet. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, titans04 said:

ha? 

Quinn is also 20 years old. Jack is 18. I doubt Quinn puts up those numbers if he comes in the league right after the draft. Two years is a big difference at this age for those guys. That’s what he meant I believe.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Quinn is also 20 years old. Jack is 18. I doubt Quinn puts up those numbers if he comes in the league right after the draft. Two years is a big difference at this age for those guys. That’s what he meant I believe.

Yep. You got it. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. You got it. 

all that stuff is actually... quiiiiiite easy to understand if you don't filter everything through a doom and gloom filter.

Edited by SterioDesign

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Shades of Bryzgalov and Clarkson in the 2012 playoffs...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, but what are Hutton’s thoughts on the universe though?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Humongous big 🤣

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My first thought exactly! That goal made me so hyped!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Oh sh!t I forgot about all of that!  Guess Carl Sagan’s legacy is safe...

Rags fans are truly delusional... they think they are now vastly superior to the devils and that loss was playing down to the competition... a trap game, GFY. That's why that win was HUGE... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Rags fans are truly delusional... they think they are now vastly superior to the devils and that loss was playing down to the competition... a trap game, GFY. That's why that win was HUGE... 

My daughter’s friend’s dad is a Ranger fan, and a couple of weeks ago he was already printing the playoff tickets.  One of many reasons that I was thrilled with last night’s victory.

• Like 1

This is pretty incredible but the Devil's have actually played their way back onto this chart. We haven't been on it for Months!!! And somehow we have actually got ourselves back in with a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs. 

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It sucks that we started off so bad and played some shaky hockey in and around the holidays, because this team has given us just about everything we could have asked for in the last 2-3 weeks, maybe the last month or so.  Had we played even medicore hockey at a near-.500 level, we'd probably be in the thick of the playoff hunt, instead of barely becoming part of the race again as the season's winding down.  

Even though we're probably going to be watching the playoffs this year, it's nice to see the guys compete down the stretch, and it leaves hope for next season.  I must say, even though there's going to be a bunch of solid head coaching candidates available this off-season, guys with lots of experience and some with a pedigree of winning, I wouldn't exactly hate if Nassreddine was given the job.  I'm coming around on him with the way he's gotten the team playing lately - it's rather impressive, considering a few key pieces, including some veterans, were shipped out, and he's managing a VERY young team.  If this team continues to play well in the last dozen or so games of the season, he at least deserves consideration for the job, something I wasn't able to say a month ago. 

Regarding the goalie situation, I'm still not convinced that Schneider should be part of this team next year, the wounds are just so deep that even some good play of late isn't quite enough to heal them, but I'm at the point where I no longer think it's terrible for him to get some of the workload and keep Blackwood rested, yet sharp.  I can see the two helping each other night in and night out - it's evident, especially after a win, when the guy who didn't play goes up to the winning goalie on the ice with a big smile - they seem happy for each other, and I think the light competition is good for both.  I hope Cory gets the game against the Penguins tomorrow, Blackwood gets the Canes which would be nice to win in regulation, then give Schneider the Panthers on Sat, and since I've never seen Blackwood play live, give him the Tampa game which I will be at.  But, however they decide to divvy it up I'm OK with. 

EDIT:  Wasn't done, didn't mean to hit submit.

In these last 14 games, the schedule has been tough, and I've been impressed that we're coming away with points in many of them, especially on a road trip, and against some really good teams (Caps, Blues, Rags, etc).  If there was ever a reason to win from confidence alone, it would be tomorrow, playing at home after some huge wins.  Two days rest, the team should be ready to go, and full of momentum.  Here's hoping they keep it up.  It probably won't get us into the playoffs, but it's made this end of the season fun anyway.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1