2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

I hate Domi with a burning passion but personally it's always something that... wouldn't say "annoyed" me but i didnt like. When Scotty nailed Domi with that big hit and then fled to avoid a fight... then someone else had to fight for him... i dunno... I guess you can justify it by saying it'sa troll thing to do and it's funny cause Domi doesnt deserve the attention and all... but i dunno.. there's a code that if you're going to deliver those kind of hit you gotta expect at times that you'll have to fight after. Especially if now a teammate has to fight for you after something you did... again i dunno... Scotty is one of my all time fav so im not bashing the guy, just something i never liked

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I hate Domi with a burning passion but personally it's always something that... wouldn't say "annoyed" me but i didnt like. When Scotty nailed Domi with that big hit and then fled to avoid a fight... then someone else had to fight for him... i dunno... I guess you can justify it by saying it'sa troll thing to do and it's funny cause Domi doesnt deserve the attention and all... but i dunno.. there's a code that if you're going to deliver those kind of hit you gotta expect at times that you'll have to fight after. Especially if now a teammate has to fight for you after something you did... again i dunno... Scotty is one of my all time fav so im not bashing the guy, just something i never liked

I disagree with this.  I think Scotty knew that he was more useful being on the ice instead of in the penalty box.  There is no code that if you throw a legal hit, you have to fight whoever is on the other end of it.  In that era, you have players on your team that are taking the fights so players like Stevens can do his job and play defense.  Domi just isn't worth his time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Domi initially did the same exact thing in the clip that I provided (backing away/fleeing).

I do remember that when Stevens was with Washington, they were almost begging him to stop taking so many penalties (especially fighting majors), because they felt he was spending way too much time in the box...he had a ton of penalty minutes as a Capital (1628 in 601 GP with them), and in his fifth NHL season racked up 283 PIM in 77 GP...that's close to goon territory, and Stevens was very clearly not that...he was just too damned talented to spend so much time not being able to help his team on the ice.  He was starting to get better about that as his Caps career wound down...with the Devils, that trend continued, to the point where you didn't really associate Stevens with a lot of penalties, though he was still racking up over 100 PIM per season when he first got here (but at least was no longer flirting with 200).  

Like Crisis just alluded to, I think Stevens just got smarter about things as he got older.  A younger Stevens probably fights Domi and winds up in the box.  The older, wiser version drills Domi and manages to stay on the ice (after realizing at some point that you're never going to play 1635 regular season games playing the game as he did in his 20s).  

• Like 1

Domi’s elbow to Niedermayer negates anything he says about anyone playing dirty ever. There’s a reason Scotty lifted cups and Domi never did a thing other than punch people. 

You can't cry about dirty play when your locker room had Corson, Tucker, Belak and notorious knee-on-knee hitter Marchment. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Domi’s elbow to Niedermayer negates anything he says about anyone playing dirty ever. There’s a reason Scotty lifted cups and Domi never did a thing other than punch people. 

You can't cry about dirty play when your locker room had Corson, Tucker, Belak and notorious knee-on-knee hitter Marchment. 

Domi's main accomplishment was somehow managing to stick around long enough to play in 1020 NHL games, despite limited abilities and often just general stupidity.  His rant about Stevens just shows how he has damned near NO self-awareness.  Does that idiot actually think he was somehow a CLEANER player than Stevens?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Domi's main accomplishment was somehow managing to stick around long enough to play in 1020 NHL games, despite limited abilities and often just general stupidity.  His rant about Stevens just shows how he has damned near NO self-awareness.  Does that idiot actually think he was somehow a CLEANER player than Stevens?  

You can’t even debate Stevens was more talented, and it’s equally clear he wasn’t any dirtier than Domi. That was a great old school hit though, after the whistle and he never saw it coming lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You can’t even debate Stevens was more talented, and it’s equally clear he wasn’t any dirtier than Domi. That was a great old school hit though, after the whistle and he never saw it coming lol.

I definitely was NOT trying to make any case that Tie had anywhere near as much talent or wasn’t a dirtier player.  That doesn’t even need to be said (though Tie sounds just delusional enough to believe that).

Agree on the hit...classic Stevens, classic NHL.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I definitely was NOT trying to make any case that Tie had anywhere near as much talent or wasn’t a dirtier player.  That doesn’t even need to be said (though Tie sounds just delusional enough to believe that).

Agree on the hit...classic Stevens, classic NHL.

Oh I was agreeing with you, trust me I don’t think you’d say that lol. That’s probably like the one thing people on this site can agree upon. 

One thing I can say about Tie, he was entertaining and for every team he wasn’t on, he was the perfect villain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh I was agreeing with you, trust me I don’t think you’d say that lol. That’s probably like the one thing people on this site can agree upon. 

One thing I can say about Tie, he was entertaining and for every team he wasn’t on, he was the perfect villain. 

I could never EVER say I admire him, but the one thing that I can begrudgingly give him any props for is somehow managing to last in the league as long as he did.  Most guys like him are lucky to play half as long.  He’s gotta be one of the least talented players ever to reach 1000 GP.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could never EVER say I admire him, but the one thing that I can begrudgingly give him any props for is somehow managing to last in the league as long as he did.  Most guys like him are lucky to play half as long.  He’s gotta be one of the least talented players ever to reach 1000 GP.  

You’re probably right. Well, unless you count agitating as talent, he was freaking amazing at that. 

• Like 1

I’m watching a documentary about Bob Probert on Amazon Prime and it starts off with a couple fights against Domi (who Probert called a clown) the second of which Probert beat the piss out him. And Steve Yzmeran was mocking Domi afterwards. Loved that part.

Pretty sad overall though. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m watching a documentary about Bob Probert on Amazon Prime and it starts off with a couple fights against Domi (who Probert called a clown) the second of which Probert beat the piss out him. And Steve Yzmeran was mocking Domi afterwards. Loved that part.

Pretty sad overall though. 

What’s sad is that we now realize that in a lot of cases, those who fought weren’t necessarily primitive goons who got off on trading fisticuffs...that was simply their way of trying to stay in the NHL, due to not having enough talent otherwise.  I saw a doc on fighters a while back, and I forget the player, but one in particular spoke of how miserable he would be when he would look at the upcoming schedule and think “OK, I gotta fight that guy, then that one, then that one...and my knuckles are already a mess and are going to be even worse after these next few games...”   Rough way to make a living, and as we’ve seen, after their careers are over, the pain doesn’t end with retirement.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What’s sad is that we now realize that in a lot of cases, those who fought weren’t necessarily primitive goons who got off on trading fisticuffs...that was simply their way of trying to stay in the NHL, due to not having enough talent otherwise.  I saw a doc on fighters a while back, and I forget the player, but one in particular spoke of how miserable he would be when he would look at the upcoming schedule and think “OK, I gotta fight that guy, then that one, then that one...and my knuckles are already a mess and are going to be even worse after these next few games...”   Rough way to make a living, and as we’ve seen, after their careers are over, the pain doesn’t end with retirement.

Probert was a little before my time, as he was finishing up his career right around the time I got really into the NHL, but apparently he had a decent amount of skill for an enforcer. Scored 29 goals and 60+ points one season. 

Edited by Nicomo

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Probert was a little before my time, as he was finishing up his career right around the time I got really into the NHL, but apparently he had a decent amount of skill for an enforcer. Scored 29 goals and 60+ points one season. 

He was an exception for a while...what was insane about that year was that he racked up 398 penalty minutes...his problem was that he missed a lot of games.  His offense dropped off considerably once he reached his late 20s.

Randy McKay’s offensive numbers actually wound up being eerily similar to Probert’s, pretty close in GP too.  McKay was one of those guys who realized that he would have to tone down the rough stuff if he wanted to keep playing (his most productive years came in his 30s, and his penalty minutes went down noticeably).  Probert never was able (or willing) to make that adjustment.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Alternate view, guys without the talent to play professional sports had long careers and made good money playing professional sports. At least compared to what they could’ve made in a “regular” job. 

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, of course he'd come out and say that.

But I don't believe it, really.  If some team goes crazy and offers him stupid money they'd have to consider taking the picks.

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, of course he'd come out and say that.

But I don't believe it, really.  If some team goes crazy and offers him stupid money they'd have to consider taking the picks.

If we know anything is that Lou is always in win-now mode and screw the future. So i truly can't see him going "yeahh... let's take a step back and sacrifice my current best player for 4 late first round picks that will potentially just start having some impact in the NHL somewhere between 2022 and 2027.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

Because I’m so starved for hockey I almost started playing NHLPA 92-93 on SNES this weekend... then the twins went bat sh!t and quickly I realized I can’t just kick back, sip beer all day and play video games... it’s tragic...