Jump to content
CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m watching a documentary about Bob Probert on Amazon Prime and it starts off with a couple fights against Domi (who Probert called a clown) the second of which Probert beat the piss out him. And Steve Yzmeran was mocking Domi afterwards. Loved that part.

Pretty sad overall though. 

What’s sad is that we now realize that in a lot of cases, those who fought weren’t necessarily primitive goons who got off on trading fisticuffs...that was simply their way of trying to stay in the NHL, due to not having enough talent otherwise.  I saw a doc on fighters a while back, and I forget the player, but one in particular spoke of how miserable he would be when he would look at the upcoming schedule and think “OK, I gotta fight that guy, then that one, then that one...and my knuckles are already a mess and are going to be even worse after these next few games...”   Rough way to make a living, and as we’ve seen, after their careers are over, the pain doesn’t end with retirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What’s sad is that we now realize that in a lot of cases, those who fought weren’t necessarily primitive goons who got off on trading fisticuffs...that was simply their way of trying to stay in the NHL, due to not having enough talent otherwise.  I saw a doc on fighters a while back, and I forget the player, but one in particular spoke of how miserable he would be when he would look at the upcoming schedule and think “OK, I gotta fight that guy, then that one, then that one...and my knuckles are already a mess and are going to be even worse after these next few games...”   Rough way to make a living, and as we’ve seen, after their careers are over, the pain doesn’t end with retirement.

Probert was a little before my time, as he was finishing up his career right around the time I got really into the NHL, but apparently he had a decent amount of skill for an enforcer. Scored 29 goals and 60+ points one season. 

Edited by Nicomo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Probert was a little before my time, as he was finishing up his career right around the time I got really into the NHL, but apparently he had a decent amount of skill for an enforcer. Scored 29 goals and 60+ points one season. 

He was an exception for a while...what was insane about that year was that he racked up 398 penalty minutes...his problem was that he missed a lot of games.  His offense dropped off considerably once he reached his late 20s.

Randy McKay’s offensive numbers actually wound up being eerily similar to Probert’s, pretty close in GP too.  McKay was one of those guys who realized that he would have to tone down the rough stuff if he wanted to keep playing (his most productive years came in his 30s, and his penalty minutes went down noticeably).  Probert never was able (or willing) to make that adjustment.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What’s sad is that we now realize that in a lot of cases, those who fought weren’t necessarily primitive goons who got off on trading fisticuffs...that was simply their way of trying to stay in the NHL, due to not having enough talent otherwise.  I saw a doc on fighters a while back, and I forget the player, but one in particular spoke of how miserable he would be when he would look at the upcoming schedule and think “OK, I gotta fight that guy, then that one, then that one...and my knuckles are already a mess and are going to be even worse after these next few games...”   Rough way to make a living, and as we’ve seen, after their careers are over, the pain doesn’t end with retirement.

Alternate view, guys without the talent to play professional sports had long careers and made good money playing professional sports. At least compared to what they could’ve made in a “regular” job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, of course he'd come out and say that.

But I don't believe it, really.  If some team goes crazy and offers him stupid money they'd have to consider taking the picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, of course he'd come out and say that.

But I don't believe it, really.  If some team goes crazy and offers him stupid money they'd have to consider taking the picks.

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, of course he'd come out and say that.

But I don't believe it, really.  If some team goes crazy and offers him stupid money they'd have to consider taking the picks.

If we know anything is that Lou is always in win-now mode and screw the future. So i truly can't see him going "yeahh... let's take a step back and sacrifice my current best player for 4 late first round picks that will potentially just start having some impact in the NHL somewhere between 2022 and 2027.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

Because I’m so starved for hockey I almost started playing NHLPA 92-93 on SNES this weekend... then the twins went bat sh!t and quickly I realized I can’t just kick back, sip beer all day and play video games... it’s tragic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s yet another case of a guy saying what he is supposed to say. I don’t know why anyone bothers reading stuff like this, it’s meaningless. 

So much this.  Lou has ALWAYS been a lousy interview...GMs tend to be in general (stock answer:  if there's a move out there that makes sense for our team, we'll explore it), but Lou often has a way of giving you even less than nothing.  His interviews with Mike and the Mad Dog were occasionally amusing, in that it was clear that Lou knew that neither one of them knew anything about hockey or the Devils, so he clearly had some contempt for them that he didn't really try to hide much.  

As Neil Smith has shown, some former GMs do eventually give you quite a bit (DM84 saw him speak at jersey expo and he had a LOT to say), but only after they've retired, and no longer have anything to lose by spilling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, mfitz804 said:

This looks pretty real. 
 

 

The best part about that hit is that it's 1,000% clean.  Stevens doesn't leave his feet at all, and he just straight up shoulders the guy with  force.  No hit to the head, no elbow, none of that.  Just pure body on body contact, leaning in with the shoulder, and the smaller Domi goes flying.  Love it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:
Quote

 "Sticking to your need(s) and seeking the player(s) that you feel could fill them. If you can fill them, you do so. If you cannot, you never do something just for the fact of doing something. "

This is LAUGHABLE considering Lou's final seasons here

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This is LAUGHABLE considering Lou's final seasons here

I’m not here to debate about Lou. It’s been done enough, and the horse is long dead. Let’s not go down that road.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Lou drinks Starbucks was the most noteworthy part. Can’t picture that. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to Pierre Lebrun on PP on XM  & NHL brass feels the priority is to have a full season next year. (rather than jumping through hoops to complete this one.) Because everyones scared that many seats won't be sold due to so many folks being out of work so long , and  that the recovery with take a couple years. Should they have awards with an incomplete season?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Should they have awards with an incomplete season?  

I think so. 70 GP is plenty. The only one I care about is Mac getting some Calder votes. He should be 3rd place. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Listening to Pierre Lebrun on PP on XM  & NHL brass feels the priority is to have a full season next year. (rather than jumping through hoops to complete this one.) Because everyones scared that many seats won't be sold due to so many folks being out of work so long , and  that the recovery with take a couple years. Should they have awards with an incomplete season?  

Yea, they did during the lock out shortened seasons which were shorter than what we played this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so it’s NFL, but the Rams just released a new logo which is a ram with a d!ck nose. 

49702386762_c7202059ed_c.jpg


 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that what first stood out to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sammyk said:

Is that what first stood out to you?

No, to be fair, it was Eric Dickerson (irony) who pointed it out. But once I read that he did, I can’t unsee it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not even really the nose though...isn't that like more of the forehead?  To me the nose is more towards the point/tip of the head.  I agree most logos and uniform designs nowadays usually leave a lot to be desired, but with this particular one I don't think I really would have noticed it or associated it that way unless someone else mentioned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's not even really the nose though...isn't that like more of the forehead?  To me the nose is more towards the point/tip of the head.  I agree most logos and uniform designs nowadays usually leave a lot to be desired, but with this particular one I don't think I really would have noticed it or associated it that way unless someone else mentioned it.

Yup, he has balls for a forehead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Icethetics, looks like nearly all teams are getting an alternate or “fourth jersey” next season.

https://www.icethetics.com/jerseywatch-2020
 

This has been discussed over the past few weeks on a jersey collecting forum I am in and it is consistent.  Looks like there will be a standard template that all teams will follow and can be indeed described as “throwback with a twist.”

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yup, he has balls for a forehead. 

i mean... honestly it's not as blatant as some are suggesting. Also by the same standards..one could make an argument that the J in the NJ logo looks muchhh more like an actual dick... round balls at the top... a curvy shaft and the head at the end..

Good thing is ours is way longer tho 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.