CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That friggin' game...I was so bummed after watching it...I was SURE that the Devils were going to lose Game 7, and yet another tough first-round series.  I had tickets for that Game 7 too...Devils fell behind 1-0 of course, but tied it up and then made a 2-1 second period lead stand up.  I remember Mogilny being pissed...slammed his stick onto the ice as soon as the game ended.  

That game was a NAIL BITER of all nail biters.  I have that whole game on a DVD. Marty made one of his greatest saves ever that day

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

That game was a NAIL BITER of all nail biters.  I have that whole game on a DVD. Marty made one of his greatest saves ever that day

I remember that too!  I know the one you’re talking about.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember that too!  I know the one you’re talking about.  

Found it...........

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Let's get him!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Found it...........

Yep, that's the one, but I swear that I can remember another huge save in that game...I'm almost positive that Mogilny was the shooter.  Obviously going back 26 years could mean that I'm wrong...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Devs has a man for this vacancy. We can give him a job of assistant gm 

I doubt he'll be able to hire an asst. GM as long as he's interim GM> I wish they'd just give Fitz the damn job!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Not necessarily via NHLN but the NHL app, I've enjoyed watching some classic games lately. For one, it's so weird watching 1990s hockey compared to the modern era; the game feels so much slower, goalies look SO small in net and the amount of hooking/grabbing/tackling/whatever and getting away with it is incredible... but it brings me back to my childhood. Just recently watched Mario destroying the Rangers (he made it look so effortless) and the Kings/Leafs playoff series from 1993 (I don't know how nor why but I had a VHS tape of the 1992-93 Leafs season that I must've watched 100 times as a kid). 

I just had commented this in the devils thread but didn't see this post first, am I missing where the section is for classic games? The old nhl vault use to let you click on any team and see classic games for that team. All I see is a Carolina-Devils game from 09 and I'd rather smash my face into a wall for 3 hours than watch anything from that series ever again. What I just posted in the devils thread... 

"I wonder why the nhl.tv doesn't have a real classic games section, I've been watching some old games that MSG+ has been showing but I hate that they cut out portions of the games. 

Browsing the nhl.tv app they have some classic things but the vast majority are shortened games too and barely any Devils stuff. 

I know they use to have the nhl vault that had a section for Devils games but I don't know why they don't have anything like that anymore, especially given the current situation."

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just had commented this in the devils thread but didn't see this post first, am I missing where the section is for classic games? The old nhl vault use to let you click on any team and see classic games for that team. All I see is a Carolina-Devils game from 09 and I'd rather smash my face into a wall for 3 hours than watch anything from that series ever again. What I just posted in the devils thread... 

"I wonder why the nhl.tv doesn't have a real classic games section, I've been watching some old games that MSG+ has been showing but I hate that they cut out portions of the games. 

Browsing the nhl.tv app they have some classic things but the vast majority are shortened games too and barely any Devils stuff. 

I know they use to have the nhl vault that had a section for Devils games but I don't know why they don't have anything like that anymore, especially given the current situation."

On mobile it's Pause Binge > Classic Games. It's honestly not much, though. I think you're looking in the right area because the Canes/Devs game is listed there, but there's about 7 or 8 other classic games if you scroll left or right. I will say some of them are funky - the Leafs/Kings Game 6 of '93 is more like bits and pieces of Games 5 and 6, not one full game; God knows why they don't have Game 7 but I found it later on YouTube. And when I clicked one of the Wings/Caps '98 games, the camera angle was awful. 

Since posting this I found a YT channel of someone called Serg72 and he has tons of games uploaded there. Without looking right now I think the NHL has a channel on YT for classic games (or it's a playlist on the actual NHL one).

• Like 1

Just saw this on facebook lol that was basically my reaction when i read that article too lol

97327011_3111771072235528_4004729022637408256_n.png.a8cf5a056cdc17b88349a17f3ac1592b.png

• Like 2

That's right. Leading scorer Kenny Agostino. 

22G, 27A in 53 games. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

22G, 27A in 53 games. 

His quarantine is gonna last til the end of July, because this sh!t ain’t starting up before then. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

22G, 27A in 53 games. 

He’s always put up numbers in the AHL.  Kinda where it ends for him though.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s always put up numbers in the AHL.  Kinda where it ends for him though.  

Yeah he’s one of those AAAA guys. Good enough to play hockey for a living, not good enough to do it consistently in the best league in the world.

Apparently there is some discussion that Kakko may not play when the play-ins start due to his diabetes.

NY Post

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Apparently there is some discussion that Kakko may not play when the play-ins start due to his diabetes.

NY Post

I wouldn’t blame him. Max Domi too, those guys are way higher risk.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn’t blame him. Max Domi too, those guys are way higher risk.

I'm actually amazed that anyone with Type 1 can play...a friend of mine has a daughter with Type 1, and one of my employees has a son who has it (as some on here know, I have Type 2, but have it well under control).  Their blood sugars in any given day range from 50 to 350 (non-diabetics tend to be around 70 - 140, with the higher number coming after a meal)...both have insulin pumps, but the crazy disparity in the range is just the nature of the beast...what sucks about Type 1 is that you often have to worry about highs AND lows...both are dangerous.  I can't imagine what it's like for those guys to try to meet the demands required of a professional athlete AND do all of that while dealing with Type 1. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm actually amazed that anyone with Type 1 can play...a friend of mine has a daughter with Type 1, and one of my employees has a son who has it (as some on here know, I have Type 2, but have it well under control).  Their blood sugars in any given day range from 50 to 350 (non-diabetics tend to be around 70 - 140, with the higher number coming after a meal)...both have insulin pumps, but the crazy disparity in the range is just the nature of the beast...what sucks about Type 1 is that you often have to worry about highs AND lows...both are dangerous.  I can't imagine what it's like for those guys to try to meet the demands required of a professional athlete AND do all of that while dealing with Type 1. 

Agree totally, and I don’t know the science behind it but extreme physical activity has to have some effect on it, no? Do they monitor their sugar during games?

Seems like a bad deal, but more power to them for getting it done. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree totally, and I don’t know the science behind it but extreme physical activity has to have some effect on it, no? Do they monitor their sugar during games?

Seems like a bad deal, but more power to them for getting it done.

Physical activity can help to bring blood sugar levels down...that's the main reason I speed-walk 10-12 miles a day, every day (and obviously watch sweets and carbs.  There's times where I will go out to dinner a few miles from home, and after we're done, I'll simply speed-walk home, while everyone else drives.  Fortunately people who know me are used to it enough now that they don't think it's weird anymore). 

But everything is trickier for someone with Type 1.  There's just so much more potential for scary moments, when your body flat-out can't produce insulin of its own.  My employee's son had a classmate who had a birthday, and he brought in cupcakes for his class.  Even though my employee's son knew he shouldn't have done it, he ate two of the cupcakes.  He wound up in the hospital with a blood sugar level of 412.  Even if he had injected some insulin ahead of time, there's no true exact science as to how much...and WHEN it also very important.  Too much can lead to dangerous lows.  

I do remember reading that Domi does indeed monitor blood sugar during games.  This way if he's going low, he can drink a quick "pick me up" (like a fruit juice) to bring his sugar level back up.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Diabetes is on both sides of my family brother, I know how it is.... my mom is type 2, my grandma on my mom’s side was type 1, and my aunt on my dad’s side is type 1. It scares the sh!t outta me that I’ll wind up with it one day. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Diabetes is on both sides of my family brother, I know how it is.... my mom is type 2, my grandma on my mom’s side was type 1, and my aunt on my dad’s side is type 1. It scares the sh!t outta me that I’ll wind up with it one day. 

45 is a common age to get Type 2.  That’s how old I was (but I definitely had symptoms prior).  Yeah I hope you don’t get it either.  I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

• Like 1

Anthony Deangelo and Brendan Lemieux announced today that they’re releasing a podcast together that “pushes the boundaries (spelled incorrectly) of political correctness”

Interesting timing for two blue skirts who’ve had documented patterns of racism in their early hockey careers. Even more tone-deaf, the official rangers twitter page retweeted it.

• Like 1

just saw this:

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41095173-4

The New York Rangers are not affiliated with “Watch Your Tone,” a new podcast hosted by defenseman Tony DeAngelo, despite having briefly promoted it on their official Twitter feed on Friday. The podcast, which has yet to debut, kicked up a controversy after DeAngelo's teammate Brendan Lemieux tweeted that it would “push the ‘politically correct’ boundaries.” A source tells ESPN that Lemieux is “not a part” of that podcast, and he later deleted that tweet.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fwyshynski_greg.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Greg Wyshynski, ESPN2h ago

• Like 1

"political correctness" for people like them is not being able to say the n-word and having to press 1 for English. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

"political correctness" for people like them is not being able to say the n-word and having to press 1 for English. 

I'll say there's about a 75% chance the phrase "All Lives Matter" is spoken at some point. 

• Like 3