2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Those players can still make an impact without a "C" on their jersey. The rah-rah captain thing is vastly overrated anyway. Like you said, we aren't in the room but from what we've read, Greene, Zajac and to an extent Schneider are the respected long term "elders" and I don't see it as worth the damage it would do in the locker room to give it to someone else. 

My guess is its either Hall or Nico next year if Greene is gone. 

We were beyond spoiled with Stevens as captain. He didnt have to talk to the media to lead, he'd just go out and hit the first body he saw and the momentum swung.

Crosby, even with all of his faults, goes out, makes a flashy play and boom, the team gets motivated. Hell he figuratively scoffed at the Coleman one hander last year and raised it a baseball swing, OT winner. Ovie is a Russian Psycho. Dustin Brown wasn't a flashy guy, nor a huge hitter, but he could shut the other team down as a checking forward, then Kopitar got the C and combined a little flash with some PK prowess, etc.

Just different dynamics for different teams. Do I think Greene is not the great captain? IDK, not in the room and thats really all we have to go off of based on his declining play. But as much as I despise the guy, he can't and shouldn't be stripped of the C this season. Just don't ask me what my take is on him for next year....

• Like 2

I think in a lot of cases the captaincy means more to the fans than it does to the players.  According to the NHL rule book, all the C means is that they are allowed to discuss things to the ref.  I know most, if not all, teams use it as a leadership role, but like others have said I don't think the team thinks that long and hard about it.

I think a leadership core is more important than who has the C.  When we were winning cups, we had a core of guys like Stevens, Brodeur, Nieds, Daneyko, McKay, Elias, Langs, MacLean, etc.  Some had letters on their jerseys while some didn't, but I don't think in the locker room it mattered much to those guys.

Our core right now is Greene, Hall, Palms, Zajac, Hischier, Subban and Schneider.  That is far better than what we have rolled out in the past.  This doesn't include players like Hughes who may join that group faster than we think.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think in a lot of cases the captaincy means more to the fans than it does to the players.  According to the NHL rule book, all the C means is that they are allowed to discuss things to the ref.  I know most, if not all, teams use it as a leadership role, but like others have said I don't think the team thinks that long and hard about it.

I think a leadership core is more important than who has the C.  When we were winning cups, we had a core of guys like Stevens, Brodeur, Nieds, Daneyko, McKay, Elias, Langs, MacLean, etc.  Some had letters on their jerseys while some didn't, but I don't think in the locker room it mattered much to those guys.

Our core right now is Greene, Hall, Palms, Zajac, Hischier, Subban and Schneider.  That is far better than what we have rolled out in the past.  This doesn't include players like Hughes who may join that group faster than we think.

Agreed.  Having multiple guys be and act as leaders is better than one or none.  In the absence of said core or group though, I think players will default to whoever is wearing that C, be it for inspiration, guidance, help, optimism, energy, etc.  

Obviously none of us here ever played in the NHL, and I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that never played the game themselves at all, but I have for a long time, and I know when I play(ed) I would try to be a source of all of those things I mentioned for my teammates - I tried to do this when I didn't have the 'C' on my jersey, but if I did, I tried 1,000 times more to make sure I did, and that I was good at it.  I guess you could say I felt the obligation to do so.  I know when I didn't have the C, I and we're facing adversity mid-game, I'd look down the bench and try to find the guy who did have the C, and see what he was doing or saying. Or after a loss in the locker room and not much is being said, you just got your ass beat and your skulls caved in, and it's pretty quiet.  No one wants to say anything or break the ice, people are just taking off their equipment and feeling like sh!t.  You look for the captain to say something.  People may think I'm making more of a spectacle out of it than it needs to be, and I get that, but this is just literally how I have felt actually in those types of situations, so I guess I just assume/expect NHLers with a lot more on the line to approach it in a similar or even stronger way.  

James Neal with 4 goals last night, 6 for the season in 3 games.   Looks like the Oilers may have finally won a trade.   Good for them, it's a shame watching McDavid and Drai waste away up there on their own. 

I still don't understand that move from the Flames perspective.   James Neal had a bad year, Lucic looks done.