GDT (Preseason): Devils vs. Bruins and @ Habs - 7PM

Devs3cups

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It may be dumb. It’s also been part of our home games for what, 20-25 years?

A little less than 20 years...I remember it becoming a thing more in the early 2000s (say, 2002 or so...I don't remember ever hearing it during the 2000 Cup run, or the deep 2001 run for that matter).  But yeah, it's been around a while. 

I was indifferent to YS for a long time, but now I'm more amused by it, mostly because I find it funny that a few touchy suits decided that they were going to do everything in their power to squelch this thing (killing off R&R Part 2, etc)...only to fail at it in spectacular fashion...there's exactly one spot in "Howl" that fans can squeeze a "YS" into, and by Lord, they found it in record time.  You even have the one upper section (forget which one, but everyone knows where it is) that "sings" the music to R&R Part 2, before launching into the same exact "You suck!" chant that the suits were trying to squash to begin with.  In some odd way, I admire the dedication...and love the fact that some corporate lil' dweebuses were completely foiled in thinking they could just kill something off on their lil' terms, and couldn't just snap their fingers and make something they didn't like go away. 

Even if I'm not really that much of a YS fan myself. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A little less than 20 years...I remember it becoming a thing more in the early 2000s (say, 2002 or so...I don't remember ever hearing it during the 2000 Cup run, or the deep 2001 run for that matter).  But yeah, it's been around a while. 

I was indifferent to YS for a long time, but now I'm more amused by it, mostly because I find it funny that a few touchy suits decided that they were going to do everything in their power to squelch this thing (killing off R&R Part 2, etc)...only to fail at it in spectacular fashion...there's exactly one spot in "Howl" that fans can squeeze a "YS" into, and by Lord, they found it in record time.  You even have the one upper section (forget which one, but everyone knows where it is) that "sings" the music to R&R Part 2, before launching into the same exact "You suck!" chant that the suits were trying to squash to begin with.  In some odd way, I admire the dedication...and love the fact that some corporate lil' dweebuses were completely foiled in thinking they could just kill something off on their lil' terms, and couldn't just snap their fingers and make something they didn't like go away. 

Even if I'm not really that much of a YS fan myself. 

I seem to recall it earlier than that, but even if you except that date, it’s been around for a long time. 

I don’t love it, I’m not one of the people who advocate for it. But I’m also not one of the people who takes it too seriously, and ask questions about how you can say the other team sucks. They are the opponent, they suck. Simple math.

There are many things that are far stupider that occur at our games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinda reminds me of Suicide Squad, when Deadshot starts taunting Diablo, until Diablo completely loses his sh!t and winds up torching a whole sh!tload of bad guys. 

Not a great movie by any stretch of course (except for any scenes that had Harley Quinn...)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MB3 said:

Ok this is a message for all of my older folks on this forum. What the fvck is this nonsense with getting old? 

I’m 28. I’m healthy. Work out 5 days a week. Play beer league ice hockey. Very rarely get injured doing anything.

I just hiccuped while reaching over to plug my phone in and now I can’t move my back.

The fvck is this sh!t 

In two years you'll be 30, semi-healthy, work out once a week, play skate and shoot some pucks in between drinking sessions, get injured tying your shoes, and be in bed by 9 on Friday night.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I seem to recall it earlier than that, but even if you except that date, it’s been around for a long time. 

I don’t love it, I’m not one of the people who advocate for it. But I’m also not one of the people who takes it too seriously, and ask questions about how you can say the other team sucks. They are the opponent, they suck. Simple math.

There are many things that are far stupider that occur at our games.

I think you suck didn’t become a “real thing” until the year before we moved.

It absolutely, 100% was not a thing during the ‘03 cup run.

I used to not mind it, but now I think it’s really dumb, mainly cause it’s almost the only thing our fans will chant. I’m hoping they’ll chant more now that we should be significantly better (how about “let’s go devils” for more than three times in a chant?). Like if fans would be into the game the entire way, I honestly don’t think it’d bother me as much, but when it’s the only thing that gets you involved, then I feel it’s a problem. But for fvcks sake, let go of R&Rpt2 already

but I digress... if Gusev-Hughes can do that into the regular season, I’m going to look like Randy Marsh after he got on the internet for the first time in weeks.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think you suck didn’t become a “real thing” until the year before we moved.

It absolutely, 100% was not a thing during the ‘03 cup run.

I don't remember it at all during that 03 run so I can 100% attest that the crowd wasn't doing that then either and I don't even remember it during the 06 playoffs either. 

I really only remember it becoming a thing once we got into the rock. 

And just so we aren't relying on memories since it was a long time ago now, skip to 1 min in....

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't remember it at all during that 03 run so I can 100% attest that the crowd wasn't doing that then either and I don't even remember it during the 06 playoffs either. 

I really only remember it becoming a thing once we got into the rock. 

And just so we aren't relying on memories since it was a long time ago now, skip to 1 min in....

Bingo.

I have heard claims that some pockets of fans were doing it during the 03 run, but when I was there in sec 101 I didn't hear it and it sure as hell doesn't come over the video of the broadcast from those finals.  If 50-100 out of 19,040 people are doing it, I don't think it is quite a "thing" yet.

First time I heard it was during the 06-07 season.  I only went to 1 game that year and I remember clearly hearing it that time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You suck is not 20-25 years old, c'mon now.  It's 10 years old.  And it sucks.  It's a tradition 'stolen' from hockey hotbed Nashville (and maybe some college teams or something).

I remember the Redskins’ fans doing it against the Eagles and then a few games later it was happening at the Rock.

16 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You suck is not 20-25 years old, c'mon now.  It's 10 years old.  And it sucks.  It's a tradition 'stolen' from hockey hotbed Nashville (and maybe some college teams or something).

It's older than that.

I remember going to games with a friend of my wife's (then girlfriend/fiancé), who had season tix in 225 in CAA...started going with him in 2003 or so, and he and some other people were already doing the YS...I remember being very surprised by it, because that was the first time I'd ever heard it...up until that point, it had always been "HEY!" and that was that.  I don't remember exactly when it became more widespread (it definitely was NOT an overnight thing), but it was well before 2009. 

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Mike McLeod looked good on his goal and assist. The goal was flukey but he used his speed to get into position. Really hoping he takes a step this year. 

McLeod doing anything would be a huge bonus...he's one of those guys that I don't really even think about anymore, as far as being a significant part of the Devils goes. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo.

I have heard claims that some pockets of fans were doing it during the 03 run, but when I was there in sec 101 I didn't hear it and it sure as hell doesn't come over the video of the broadcast from those finals.  If 50-100 out of 19,040 people are doing it, I don't think it is quite a "thing" yet.

First time I heard it was during the 06-07 season.  I only went to 1 game that year and I remember clearly hearing it that time.

I think you just filled in the blanks for me.  People were just starting to do it around 2003, but I guess it took a few years before it caught on enough where it could be more easily heard. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's older than that.

I remember going to games with a friend of my wife's (then girlfriend/fiancé), who had season tix in 225 in CAA...started going with him in 2003 or so, and he and some other people were already doing the YS...I remember being very surprised by it, because that was the first time I'd ever heard it...up until that point, it had always been "HEY!" and that was that.  I don't remember exactly when it became more widespread (it definitely was NOT an overnight thing), but it was well before 2009. 

McLeod doing anything would be a huge bonus...he's one of those guys that I don't really even think about anymore, as far as being a significant part of the Devils goes. 

The Devils stopped using Rock n Roll Part 2 somewhere in the mid 00s decade - here's a youtube video of them using Ole in 2007:  

But yeah here's the You Suck from 2006:  

I didn't see many games in 2004 and Youtube wasn't around.  But yeah I would've said 2008-09 as the real peak of awareness of You Suck but it did come earlier.

My seasons seats in the old building were in 230 but the lower rows. I never remember hearing it once during the 03 run and I never even missed a game back in those days. 

That 2006 Carolina video shows the opposite end of the rink of where my seats where so maybe that's where it begin because I really don't remember it that year either.

Ole was so bad, don't miss that at all. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

My seasons seats in the old building were in 230 but the lower rows. I never remember hearing it once during the 03 run and I never even missed a game back in those days. 

That 2006 Carolina video shows the opposite end of the rink of where my seats where so maybe that's where it begin because I really don't remember it that year either.

Ole was so bad, don't miss that at all. 

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.  I hated Ole too.  Also wasn't a fan of Seven Nation Army (I like the song, just not as a goal song), and that other one they tried...I forget what it was called, but you would know it instantly...I think was called Kernkraft 400, by Zombie Nation?

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.  I hated Ole too.  Also wasn't a fan of Seven Nation Army (I like the song, just not as a goal song), and that other one they tried...I forget what it was called, but you would know it instantly...I think was called Kernkraft 400, by Zombie Nation?

Flip the names but yeah.

but the worst, THE ABSOLUTE WORST, was when they tried to use the that Bon Jovi song. Cause, if I’m not mistaken, we tried to use the same one as the Patriots, only the wrong part so it had zero flow and was just dropped like a atom bomb on the fan base.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He has raw talent and crazy speed but it comes down to if guys like that can ever put it together in their head. Its the same with Zacha's offense to me. 

I look at McLeod as more of a boom or bust whereas Zacha has at least found another way to contribute 

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am still on board with Mambo #5 as our goal song.

A little bit of Nico...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Flip the names but yeah.

but the worst, THE ABSOLUTE WORST, was when they tried to use the that Bon Jovi song. Cause, if I’m not mistaken, we tried to use the same one as the Patriots, only the wrong part so it had zero flow and was just dropped like a atom bomb on the fan base.

Actually, crazy as it sounds, Zombie Nation was the band, but often people make the mistake of calling the SONG by the band's name (similar to when people call Frankenstein's monster "Frankenstein").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernkraft_400

As for the whole Bon Jovi thing...that one really pissed me off, for three reasons (I'll save the main reason for last)

First, Bon Jovi is pretty polarizing...I don't know too many casual Bon Jovi fans.  I know some people who really love that band and their music, and some who despise almost everything that they've done (I fall into the latter category).  I get that Bon Jovi's sold millions upon millions of records, but guess what?  So has Nickelback.  Selling does not always equal beloved.  So no matter WHAT Bon Jovi song was picked for the goal song, there were likely a lot of fans who were not going to be into it from the get-go.

Second, whoever insisted on going this route clearly thought that ANY old Bon Jovi song would do, just because.  It sure doesn't seem like much thought was put into the actual song picked...and even then, the part played wasn't at all conducive to being a goal song...like you pointed out, the least they could have done was choose a section that maybe had a chance to work at all. 

But third and most important, it's not so much the song or the band itself, as what that song choice represented to me.  It felt very condescending and suffocating...in a "You're all from New Jersey, so I just KNOW you'll all eat this up, because Bon Jovi is from New Jersey, just like you people, and you all must LOVE all things New Jersey!  Now wasn't THAT easy!" kind of way...like we're all just SO homogenized that we all love the same things and immediately and equally embrace any and all things associated in any way with NJ.  Hell, whoever made this brilliant decision probably saw the cover of Bon Jovi's New Jersey album, and thought that was that.  That's something that I've always had a problem with, as far as people who don't know much about NJ goes...people who automatically assume that I'm all about Bruce Springsteen (I'm not) or Bon Jovi (most definitely not) or expect to hear a "Jersey accent" or think I've never heard the "What exit?" joke before.  But I get that, because the people who are like that ARE outsiders after all.  But I don't need that from my fvcking hockey team that's been in NEW JERSEY since 1982.  And apparently I wasn't only one who felt that way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976