GDT - Preseason Devils @ Rags 9/18/19

titans04

Gusev is world-class at deceiving a defense/goalie about his intentions.  His other skills might not all translate to the NHL, but his pass to Hischier tonight was something that only a handful of guys in this league can pull off regularly.  He got me twice in the game against Boston too.  Defenders will figure this out eventually but it will still give him time and space to shoot instead of pass.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don’t know what they mean about the whole “don’t meet online friends.” Mad dog was generous enough to offer me a few snickers in his Van after the game. Now that is kindness. 

That doesn’t apply to you, only to kids and people unwilling to do van stuff. 

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah but no goals?? Step up, loser!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Love the mention. I’ve met MadDog, RWTD and CR. All were amazing people. 

I don’t know what they mean about the whole “don’t meet online friends.” Mad dog was generous enough to offer me a few snickers in his Van after the game. Now that is kindness. 

Yes! that's what it was, I wound up getting super lucky and buying a group block of Marty's retirement night tickets before they even announced it. You and Crasher bought tickets from me but I never got to meet Crasher, he wound up having to leave the game early for some reason. It would be really cool to get some game comradery going. With reddit and HFBoards being so popular, we gents are the last of a dying breed. Me and MB3 have been posting here for almost 13 years and I still see us as noobies compared to some of you guys who've been here since the start

• Like 1

I still stand by my “I’m sorry, I’m busy that day” excuse...  even if I’m at the same game.  I mean I’m at a sporting event...  clearly I’m busy.

I did meet one board member back in like 02/03...   I can’t remember who it was, it was really awkward...  I hope we didn’t diss France because of today’s board environment....  But understand it was a different time.   Freedom Fries were still trying to catch on.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I'll be there too! Meeting a friend or two at American Whiskey, a bar a block south, around 5pm, I'll have my red and green Devils jersey on, swing by!

Damn, I was there before the game!  I stopped checking the board after work otherwise I would have said what up.  Great game to go to though.  I jumped up and practically lost my mind after watching Maltsev do them dirty.

Heard some "racial slurs", let's say, spoken about PK Subban by some Rangers fans last night.

Nope, that's not gonna fly.

Nah.

We better be ready for things to get ugly this season, because he didn't even play and Rangers fans are throwing N-bombs in the preseason. Hope it was an isolated couple of cases.

Edited by DJ Eco

4 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Heard some "racial slurs", let's say, spoken about PK Subban by some Rangers fans last night.

Nah.

We better be ready for things to get ugly this season, because he didn't even play and Rangers fans are throwing N-bombs in the preseason. Hope it was an isolated couple of cases.

It’s not going to be just Rangers fans. Unfortunately, that element is everywhere. It might even be worse now then when I was a kid and they used to throw bananas at the black kid on my team. 

“They” included the other teams and spectators alike. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It’s not going to be just Rangers fans. Unfortunately, that element is everywhere. It might even be worse now then when I was a kid and they used to throw bananas at the black kid on my team. 

“They” included the other teams and spectators alike. 

Unfortunately you're right, certain people are feeling emboldened these days, and I hope our fellow Devils fans will step up and nip that sh!t in the bud.

32 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Unfortunately you're right, certain people are feeling emboldened these days, and I hope our fellow Devils fans will step up and nip that sh!t in the bud.

Hopefully so. That’s what I did back in the day, I was his personal enforcer, on and off the ice. He obviously knew he couldn’t do anything because then he would be the black kid causing problems. So I caused them for him LOL.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Nah.

None of those fvcking losers would have the balls to say that sh!t to his face out on the street. Or to Simmonds. 

People are just the worst. 

• Like 2

Caught highlights just now - saw Maltsev's goal earlier and it was even better on replay.  The other goals were also awesome, Nico striking early on a sweet deflection, and Gusev connecting on a nice feed.  Our second goal allowed though with Cory playing the puck behind the net and the D not knowing what's going on...?  Jesus.  So bad.  Other than that though, I liked what I saw.

This is going to be a fun season boys.

8 hours ago, devlman said:

Speaking of board meet ups what ever happened to Colin? He organized what looked like a legendary board meetup for that trip to the island. He used to be a very frequent poster.

Think he spends most of his time on HF now.  Yeah he's one of the nicest guys that you'll ever meet.  I saw him quite a bit through the years at the Rock (though not in some time).  Time flies, I remember telling him my wife was pregnant at one point, and now my daughter just turned 11 in August. 

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

Love the mention. I’ve met MadDog, RWTD and CR. All were amazing people. 

Met MD2020 and MB3...what a couple of complete a$$holes!  (Not really, both good dudes, would love to see them again at another game).  Met Leeds that same night, also a good guy, though it was very brief.  Waved to DD56 once, hung with DiG before he moved to MD and went MIA.  DiG is definitely missed on here.  Know DM84 pretty well; he doesn't always come off "right" here, but he's also a good dude...he's the one who got me into the GI/GW hobby. 

33 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Nah.

That's just...fvcked.  Don't remember if anyone was saying anything about DSP when he was here (or Vilgrain way back when)...if anything happened, I don't remember reading or hearing about it.  Doesn't surprise me that Ranger fans would do this...they rarely pass up an opportunity to show how stupid and classless a good number of them really are.  But like mfitz alluded to, there's probably others from other fanbases who will utter completely nonsense as well.  Sadly as we know it's not just PK on the Devils who will have to deal with this crap. 

But yeah, like you posted, hopefully it's an isolated case of a couple of idiots being idiots. 

Was it Simmonds that had a banana peel thrown at him not-too-long-ago during a game in Europe?

This ugly sh!t still manages to exist and, without getting too political, the last few years seems to have given them more confidence to act this way in public.

Don't think it'll fly in our arena if an opposing fan says something ignorant about Simmonds or Subban.  I don't think you have to give some of our fans much of a reason to hand out a beating.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Horribly misplayed by Smith, he basically tied Cory up behind the net. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he got a talking to that amounted to "Calm down kid" after the game.  As much as he doesn't want to go back to junior as an overager, I'm sure the Devils would prefer not to have to send him back there.  He's just got to play well enough not to make that seem like a viable option. 

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think he spends most of his time on HF now.  Yeah he's one of the nicest guys that you'll ever meet.  I saw him quite a bit through the years at the Rock (though not in some time).  Time flies, I remember telling him my wife was pregnant at one point, and now my daughter just turned 11 in August. 

Met MD2020 and MB3...what a couple of complete a$$holes!  (Not really, both good dudes, would love to see them again at another game).  Met Leeds that same night, also a good guy, though it was very brief.  Waved to DD56 once, hung with DiG before he moved to MD and went MIA.  DiG is definitely missed on here.  Know DM84 pretty well; he doesn't always come off "right" here, but he's also a good dude...he's the one who got me into the GI/GW hobby. 

That's just...fvcked.  Don't remember if anyone was saying anything about DSP when he was here (or Vilgrain way back when)...if anything happened, I don't remember reading or hearing about it.  Doesn't surprise me that Ranger fans would do this...they rarely pass up an opportunity to show how stupid and classless a good number of them really are.  But like mfitz alluded to, there's probably others from other fanbases who will utter completely nonsense as well.  Sadly as we know it's not just PK on the Devils who will have to deal with this crap. 

But yeah, like you posted, hopefully it's an isolated case of a couple of idiots being idiots. 

28 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Was it Simmonds that had a banana peel thrown at him not-too-long-ago during a game in Europe?

This ugly sh!t still manages to exist and, without getting too political, the last few years seems to have given them more confidence to act this way in public.

Don't think it'll fly in our arena if an opposing fan says something ignorant about Simmonds or Subban.  I don't think you have to give some of our fans much of a reason to hand out a beating.

This isn't just an other team's fans problem. It's a people problem.