Hockey Podcasts?

Devil Dan 56

With pre-season gearing up, I was wondering if anyone has any hockey podcast suggestions to make my daily hour on the Garden State Parkway slightly less terrible. 

I listen to Spittin Chiclets and 31 Thoughts, plus the occasional one from the Devils. Just wondering if there are any gems out there I'm missing. 

So funny I was just gonna post about this.

Ranking the ones I listen to

Good:

AATJ "Garden State of Hockey" (this one i enjoy, the hosts have good chemistry but the one host pronounces it bingMINton which drives me insane, and they have occasional weird takes)

Devil's Insiders "Devils Daily" (they're kinda eh, for the most part they know their stuff but the hosts seem to hate each other and also have some weird takes)

Eh:

Devils in the Details (this one can be a real snoozer but they know their stuff and get really into statistics/analytics)

BAD:

"Let's Go Devils" podcast. Yech. Unbearable.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

So funny I was just gonna post about this.

Ranking the ones I listen to

Good:

AATJGarden State of Hockey (this one i enjoy but the one host pronounces it bingMINton)

Devils Daily (they're kinda eh, they know their stuff but have some weird takes)

Eh:

Devils in the Details (this one can be a real snoozer but they know their stuff)

BAD:

Let's Go Devil's podcast. Yech. Unbearable.

Good stuff to know.  Thanks.

Also, regarding LGD podcast, I have listened to a few minutes of it and didn't think much of it either way.  What is so bad about it?

There is also something related to me personally about that which I rather not say publicly lol.  Nothing bad, just funny.

11 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Been meaning to ask this too. I've listened to the ones you listed and found each episode too long. I get most won't be professionally produced but they all have quirks.

Length is definitely an issue with a lot of podcasts.  Most feel the need to be on for a full hour but often a lot of them run out of steam around the 35-45 minute mark.

• Like 1

It's amazing how basically everyone seems to have a podcast nowadays. I really can't be bothered with any of them. I listen to the post game shows on the way home from games but that's more than enough for me. 
I am kind of the same way mostly. But breaking news type things I like to get a quick headline type recap on them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's amazing how basically everyone seems to have a podcast nowadays. I really can't be bothered with any of them. I listen to the post game shows on the way home from games but that's more than enough for me. 

Some can be interesting.  It is nice to sometimes hear opinions that are not team or MSG sanctioned comments by guys like Daneyko.

Problem with a lot of podcasts are two-fold; 1) There are way too many of them and often saying the same thing and 2) The show is only as good as the people on them.

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

That's why I enjoy Chico on the post game shows, he doesn't really sugar coat much these days. 

He's even better when he's hanging out with fans.  VERY honest and forthcoming with his opinions.  Always enjoyed that about him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's even better when he's hanging out with fans.  VERY honest and forthcoming with his opinions.  Always enjoyed that about him. 

i whizzed next to him once at the CAA. I was shocked anyone that small could have been a professional athlete. 

Times have changed...

EDIT: I’m talking about his stature, not his ding dong. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

i whizzed next to him once at the CAA. I was shocked anyone that small could have been a professional athlete. 

Times have changed...

EDIT: I’m talking about his stature, not his ding dong. 

Yeah I towered over him.  What is he, 5' 7", maybe 5' 8"? 

Very cool guy, so down to Earth, loves the fans. 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's listed in places as 5'9". I am thinking 5'6" or 5'7" is closer to reality. It was like peeing next to a child with an awful combover and mustache. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good stuff to know.  Thanks.

Also, regarding LGD podcast, I have listened to a few minutes of it and didn't think much of it either way.  What is so bad about it?

There is also something related to me personally about that which I rather not say publicly lol.  Nothing bad, just funny.

I tried listening for a few weeks in a row and it just seems to me they're your average "Facebook fan". Nothing really against them personally, although the one guy (I think his name is Sam Woo?) is way too much of a homer goofball for me to listen to

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He's listed in places as 5'9". I am thinking 5'6" or 5'7" is closer to reality. It was like peeing next to a child with an awful combover and mustache. 

How freaking tall are you clowns?  I'm not tall by any means, I'm 5'8" myself, and I'm used to feeling especially short because two of my stepkids are 6'3" and 6'5", but you make it seem like you both are pushing 7' lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

How freaking tall are you clowns?  I'm not tall by any means, I'm 5'8" myself, and I'm used to feeling especially short because two of my stepkids are 6'3" and 6'5", but you make it seem like you both are pushing 7' lol.

Lol I'm about 6' 1".  About 213 lbs.  Pretty sure mfitz is about the same height. 

• Like 1

Man I'm a Podcast fiend.. whenever I'm in the car I'm usually listening to a Podcast.  Makes the unbearable commute around Philly slightly more.. well, tolerable.

Anyway, my Hockey related Podcasts (in no order):

• Spittin Chiclets
    • Banter is hilarious (though sometimes pretty low-brow), and they get some top-notch interviews where players really let their hair down.  

• Steve Dangle Podcast
    • Toronto-centric Podcast that I mainly listened to over the summer to hear them freak the fvck out about the Marner situation.

• Devils Daily
    • Offseason stuff was.. meh.  I probably only listen to parts of every other episode or so.  Hosts occasionally offer some interesting insight.

• 31 Thoughts
    • Really enjoy this one.  Friedman and Marek are fun to listen to and they get some solid interviews as well.  Friedman's takes can be a little.. spicy.. at times, but overall it's interesting.

• Puck Soup
    • Previous co-host left last year, was replaced by Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) and Ryan Lambert (meh).  They only publish like once every other week or so now but they have a good thing going and it's been interesting to listen to.

• The Bobcast
    • This one might have concluded, but the Bobfather is the man.  Often talks about subjects not related to hockey.

• The Hockey News Podcasts
    • Occasional listen, absurd takes all around from these guys.  Kinda cements the fact that THN is a joke.  I sometimes fast forward to the last 10 minutes for FHL tips (but don't tell the other guys here that)

• Hockey Central at Noon
    • Remains to be seen how this one shakes out with the staff overhaul.  

• The Hockey PDO Cast
    • I only check this one out if a particular subject or interview sounds interesting.  Very technical, often focuses on advanced stats

The above said - I do not listen to every episode of every Podcast obviously.  But I like variety during my commutes and the above mix hits the spot.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lol I'm about 6' 1".  About 213 lbs.  Pretty sure mfitz is about the same height. 

I have had a very bad spine since I’m a kid, but on a good day if I can stand up straight I’m 6’1”. 

I think Chico is not even close to 5’8”. My 12 year old daughter is probably closer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have had a very bad spine since I’m a kid, but on a good day if I can stand up straight I’m 6’1”. 

I think Chico is not even close to 5’8”. My 12 year old daughter is probably closer. 

The first time I met him, I was in line to use the restroom at CAA...it was a playoff game, but I forget which one.  I hear a familiar voice behind me say "Man, Devils power play looks a little shaky tonight!"  I turn around and yep, it's Chico.  BS'd with him for a while, and have done that a few times through the years.  But yeah, first time I met him I was thinking "Damn, he's kinda...little!"  And you're right, I would say he's somewhere between 5' 6" and 5' 7".

Chiclets, hands down, is the best one out there. I listen to them while I run and one had me dying laughing to the point I had to stop the run. They’re good at what they do, and even Biz has gotten a lot better since he’s been a regular member of the show

As for Devils’ Insiders, I supported them on social media when they first came out but: they never paid up on a few contests they ran, and their episodes are insanely long with no real content. Also, as @RunninWithTheDevil said, some of their tales are way out there. I also feel like they have a mightier than thou approach against some fans.

31 Thoughts is good, don’t expect as much comedy as Chiclets, but still good.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:05 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The first time I met him, I was in line to use the restroom at CAA...it was a playoff game, but I forget which one.  I hear a familiar voice behind me say "Man, Devils power play looks a little shaky tonight!"  I turn around and yep, it's Chico.  BS'd with him for a while, and have done that a few times through the years.  But yeah, first time I met him I was thinking "Damn, he's kinda...little!"  And you're right, I would say he's somewhere between 5' 6" and 5' 7".

Chico is a tiny man and ABSOLUTELY LOVES talking hockey.  There was one instance where I think me and my buddies BS'd with him for about 45 minutes after a game. It got to the point where I actually had to be like "Sorry Chico but we got a train to catch!"

On 9/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, MB3 said:

I listen to three podcasts in total; Spittin chiclets is by far the best hockey podcast. I laugh out loud at half of their discussions. Former NHLers Ryan whitney and Paul Bissionette are hosts and their banter and stories are just side splitting funny.

(if anyone’s a Yankee fan; R2C2 is an unreal podcast and Talkin Yanks with Jomboy is also pretty great.)

Once I got passed that Bahhhhston accent, I really enjoyed Chiclets. The Sean Burke interview was cool, especially hearing about his contract dispute here in the early 90's. I love how open they are and the guests are. 

Thank you for those Yankee ones. I was looking for something  like them. All I had found was 30 With Murti which is ok because I like hearing from the older players and behind-the-scenes guys. But i checked out the Tauchman episode of R2C2 and really enjoyed it

• Like 2

i'm a big fan of devils insiders - surprised at the takes here that don't love it.

lets go devils podcast seems like they are just all over the place and for guys that seem to know hockey, they seem to have some takes and opinions that sound like the facebook fan forums.

31 thoughts i think is in a class by itself but its not devils specific so that's a bummer.

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Once I got passed that Bahhhhston accent, I really enjoyed Chiclets. The Sean Burke interview was cool, especially hearing about his contract dispute here in the early 90's. I love how open they are and the guests are. 

Thank you for those Yankee ones. I was looking for something  like them. All I had found was 30 With Murti which is ok because I like hearing from the older players and behind-the-scenes guys. But i checked out the Tauchman episode of R2C2 and really enjoyed it

I remember about 100 episodes ago, before they started pulling in the big fish, i.e. Hallsy/Crosby, etc, they were talking to 3rd and 3th liners asking them to spread the word that they're not looking to get them jammed up, just to have some fun, talk about their jobs and if they have issues with what was said they'll cut it out for them. I think that's when they were able to do a lot more with more guests. I also love the lesser known guys' stories.