Hockey Podcasts?

Devil Dan 56

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Once I got passed that Bahhhhston accent, I really enjoyed Chiclets. The Sean Burke interview was cool, especially hearing about his contract dispute here in the early 90's. I love how open they are and the guests are. 

Thank you for those Yankee ones. I was looking for something  like them. All I had found was 30 With Murti which is ok because I like hearing from the older players and behind-the-scenes guys. But i checked out the Tauchman episode of R2C2 and really enjoyed it

What exactly did he say about that?  That was an ugly one.  Burke's relationship with both the Devils and the fans really deteriorated at the end...a good chunk of that was on him though (both through subpar play and his infamous "the fans can go to hell" meltdown). 

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Chico is a tiny man and ABSOLUTELY LOVES talking hockey.  There was one instance where I think me and my buddies BS'd with him for about 45 minutes after a game. It got to the point where I actually had to be like "Sorry Chico but we got a train to catch!"

And VERY honest too.  I'll always remember how much he hated the Zubrus signing.  I was pretty much stunned when he admitted that so openly...all I had said to him was "I don't get Zubrus for 6 years at all", and he took that ball and ran with it. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And VERY honest too.  I'll always remember how much he hated the Zubrus signing.  I was pretty much stunned when he admitted that so openly...all I had said to him was "I don't get Zubrus for 6 years at all", and he took that ball and ran with it. 

And looking back when he was on the TV broadcast a lot of people knocked him as a homer, which he is to some extent but I'd take him over a Trautwig or Micheletti any day of the week

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

2. 5 or 6 years after I dropped my season tickets, my wife and I at the same hotel that the devils did in tampa. We’re in the restaurant having breakfast and I see Chico having breakfast with Stevens (then assistant coach) and Holik. Chico stands up and says my fvcking name, and waves me over to their table to say hi. My jaw hit the floor. Bobby holik hit on my girlfriend (now wife) and that was dope. Stevens barely said a word but he shook my hand. Chico invites us to finish breakfast at their table but I politely decline because that’s the imposition of a lifetime. 

I love that man.

I would’ve done the same thing turning down the breakfast invitation, but man oh man that would always weigh on my mind thereafter - the ‘what if I accepted and had breakfast w that legendary group’ haha. Chico is such a great guy though. Always friendly and good to people.

Edited by devlman

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

I would’ve done the same thing turning down the breakfast invitation, but man oh man that would always weigh on my mind thereafter - the ‘what if I accepted and had breakfast w that legendary group’ haha. Chico is such a great guy though. Always friendly and good to people.

Angie Harmon from Law & Order once invited me to share a table with her at Hale & Hearty in downtown Brooklyn. 

I did NOT decline and still tell people that story to this day. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Angie Harmon from Law & Order once invited me to share a table with her at Hale & Hearty in downtown Brooklyn. 

I did NOT decline and still tell people that story to this day. 

Damn...she was pretty gorgeous back in the day. Sexy voice, too. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What exactly did he say about that?  That was an ugly one.  Burke's relationship with both the Devils and the fans really deteriorated at the end...a good chunk of that was on him though (both through subpar play and his infamous "the fans can go to hell" meltdown). 

Basically he said he was unhappy. He wanted to play in the olympics and thought that would make him more valuable. He played for the national team but once the olympics ended he says he realized he didn't think far enough ahead. He thought the Devils would welcome him back and Lou wasn't playing that game.  Instead he ended up in the IHL playing for San Diego to close out the season. He said the Devils had Terreri and Billington, plus had Brodeur coming in. They also drafted Schwab, and Dunham so he wasn't as necessary as he thought. 

One thing he did say is that Lou's offer to him was very fair and the decision wasn't all about money. He was just not happy. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Damn...she was pretty gorgeous back in the day. Sexy voice, too. 

Might as well do the full version.

I was in law school, working at a firm on Court Street. They filmed Law & Order down there all the time. Every day, I would get lunch and bring it back to my office because most places were too busy to find a seat. 

So it was cold, a good soup day, so I go to Hale & Hearty with the expectation of picking it up and going back to work. I get on line and the woman in front of me turns around and asks "don't you love this place?". Immediately recognized her. But didn't tell her so. 

We made small talk standing in line, mostly her asking me questions about where I worked, I said I was a law student, she asked questions about that. That continues for like 10 minutes. We both basically get our soup at the same time, and I am heading toward the door, and there's shockingly an open table. Angie says "Should we just grab that table?"

Of course we should!

At some point after sitting down I casually told her that I had seen her appearance on the Tonight Show where Jason Sehorn came out and proposed to her, which was maybe a week before. She looked completely surprised and said she didn't realize I had recognized her. That's my usual schtick with celebrities, I try not to let on that I know who they are. 

In any event, we had a very nice conversation, ate our lunch, and were on our way. She said it was nice to meet me and she hoped to see me around the neighborhood. 

I never saw her again, as it was not much longer before she left the show. But it was not the last time I saw someone from Law & Order hanging around down there. 

TL;DR: always accept the invitation so you can tell the story. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Might as well do the full version.

I was in law school, working at a firm on Court Street. They filmed Law & Order down there all the time. Every day, I would get lunch and bring it back to my office because most places were too busy to find a seat. 

So it was cold, a good soup day, so I go to Hale & Hearty with the expectation of picking it up and going back to work. I get on line and the woman in front of me turns around and asks "don't you love this place?". Immediately recognized her. But didn't tell her so. 

We made small talk standing in line, mostly her asking me questions about where I worked, I said I was a law student, she asked questions about that. That continues for like 10 minutes. We both basically get our soup at the same time, and I am heading toward the door, and there's shockingly an open table. Angie says "Should we just grab that table?"

Of course we should!

At some point after sitting down I casually told her that I had seen her appearance on the Tonight Show where Jason Sehorn came out and proposed to her, which was maybe a week before. She looked completely surprised and said she didn't realize I had recognized her. That's my usual schtick with celebrities, I try not to let on that I know who they are. 

In any event, we had a very nice conversation, ate our lunch, and were on our way. She said it was nice to meet me and she hoped to see me around the neighborhood. 

I never saw her again, as it was not much longer before she left the show. But it was not the last time I saw someone from Law & Order hanging around down there. 

TL;DR: always accept the invitation so you can tell the story. 

That's awesome.  Wish I had a story like that.  I guess I don't get out much......

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this to say a few things

Let's Go Devils podcast had Kevin Clark on last week and I thought it was one of their more listenable shows. Kevin actually has great hockey sense and knows a lot about the game.  ESPN On Ice had an interview with Hall in their most recent episode and he came off incredibly candid and honest.