One More Offseason Topic: Zajac's Number Retired One Day?

Colorado Rockies 1976

Let me start by saying that I fully get that Zajac wouldn't ever earn such a special honor based on pure talent or "Star Quality".  He is not a star player.  He doesn't possess eye-popping numbers.  He's played on his share of bad teams, and at times was asked to do more (not his fault) than he could truly provide.  And it's not like there hasn't been occasional complaining about his current contract.

BUT, he's always been a good teammate and loyal soldier...and he's about to enter his 14th season as a New Jersey Devil...this guy played his first game on 10/6/2006...think of all of the players that have come and gone in the time Zajac's been here.  That longevity has allowed him to move up the franchise leaderboards...he's now 6th on the all-time list in Games Played, and should move up to 4th by season's end...he only needs 35 more games to do that.  78 more GP gets him to 1000 GP...only three other Devils have done that.  He has a shot to be third in goals all-time by season's end as well...he needs 17 more goals to get there.  He should move into 5th all-time for assists, and 3rd all-time in points.  If he's here beyond this season, he could move up even higher in assists, but that would probably be it.   

I also get that what's helped him move up these lists is the simple fact that he's just been here a long friggin' time...he's definitely compiled.  And it would GREATLY help his cause if the Devils somehow won a Cup in the next two years, with him providing a special and memorable moment or two (though a hell of a lot would have to break right for that to happen). 

I'm sure a lot of fans would say "Huh?  Travis?!", and I understand why.  I guess I'm just wondering aloud if this different kind of player, a guy who clearly does some things very well (even if they're intangibles), and plays a very long time and in a hell of a lot of games, by sheer years of service through both good and bad seasons, ever could or should merit consideration for a jersey retirement.  Should his career ever be honored in such a way?  In his own way, he's got a bit of Mr. Devil in him too...it just may never result in the ultimate prize, let alone three of them, the way that it did for Daneyko. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Absolutely not but my standards for these are way higher than most people. Being here a long time should not equate to getting a jersey retired. 

I know his game isn't to be a huge offensive threat but Travis has hit over 20 goals just 2x and over 50 points just 2x in a single season. Which both stats happened in back to back years 08-09 and 09-10. He hasn't even cracked 50 points in a season since then. 

The cups aren't there, the amazing stats aren't there and besides the 2012 game 6 OT goal against the Panthers the "moments" aren't there for me either. 

I like Travis but he does not deserve to have his number in the rafters. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

I don't think so either. The reason Daneykos number went up was tied to him being the guy that suffered through all of those terrible teams and then was here when we got to the top. I totally believe that Johnny Macs number would have been up there too if he hung around a couple of more years.

Travis, like Brylin, is a perfect ring of honor guy in my mind. 

• Like 1

I have no issue with the "no"s.

But I gotta admit, it will be weird seeing someone else wear #19 someday. 

Just now, John Wensink said:

No to retired jersey, yes to ring of honor. I'm not sure I'd retire jersey even if he's a part of a cup winner down the line. (Maybe if he played a huge part)

And the bolded is probably more where he belongs (along with guys like Brylin, Langs, MacLean, Pandolfo, McKay, Madden, Holik, etc)...for me, it was his simple longevity that me wonder aloud if he could ever be considered for a rafter raising (even though he would very clearly be a different kind of player). 

I wouldn’t have a problem with it if it did happen, but I don’t think it’s necessary. He was on the roster for a really long time, mostly when the team was sh!t. 

I would be fine with the Ring of Honor, but so far we have one dude in there, it’s not so much a “ring” of anything. 

Can we unretire Daneyko when we do a ring of honor?  Dano and Sarge and Madden...  all fit right in with Zajac.   Dudes who contributed a lot to us, helped defined Devils eras, but aren’t lock away their jersey numbers players to me.

To me, it’s only Brodeur, Stevens and Elias.      So no one from the 80s for me...  nobody on the current roster...  and that’s fitting for a team that has Cups in 95/00/03.

If Nieds stayed with the Devils I would retire his number too...   the fact that both the Devils and Ducks have legit claims on him kills it for me.

so yea...  no to Zajac, and I’m not tearing other jerseys down while I’m at it...  😂 

I also want to say that I don't think winning Stanley Cups is a prerequisite to having your number retired. Anyone want to argue that the Bruins shouldn't have retired Ray Bourque's number?

Now, I am not saying that Zajac is on par with Bourque in the slightest, he's not. Just making a point, you can earn that honor while not winning Cups. 

Personally instead of a ring of honor I would build a monument park type area....right under the large escalators since that area is really only used for a kids area and that's stuff you could move elsewhere. 

Make some nice monuments that could be added to the wall, have some tvs playing their highlights and best moments. Throw in some cases with some memorabilia. 

Also Philly use to have this, they still might but I haven't been there in awhile, it was a glass case with all the hats from hat tricks so if you were ever there when one happened you could go see if your hat was in the case. Plus they had a little TV screen showing the hat trick goals and moments. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Personally instead of a ring of honor I would build a monument park type area....right under the large escalators since that area is really only used for a kids area and that's stuff you could move elsewhere. 

Make some nice monuments that could be added to the wall, have some tvs playing their highlights and best moments. Throw in some cases with some memorabilia. 

Also Philly use to have this, they still might but I haven't been there in awhile, it was a glass case with all the hats from hat tricks so if you were ever there when one happened you could go see if your hat was in the case. Plus they had a little TV screen showing the hat trick goals and moments. 

I think that's a better idea, though that area is kind of confined and I don't think conducive to people walking through. 

But I am sure they could find a spot. 

• Like 1

I love Travis, but no way. Longevity alone doesn’t warrant a retired jersey. Dano is the exception to the rule here because he was a rock on D for two of the three Cups (and of course the special game 7  in 2003). Zajac is a ‘Ring of Fire’ guy if something like that is ever established. 

Edited by MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love Travis, but no way. Longevity alone doesn’t warrant a retired jersey. Dano is the exception to the rule here because he was a rock on D for two of the three Cups (and of course the special game 7  in 2003). Zajac is a ‘Ring of Fire’ guy if something like that is ever established. 

His 8 year old boy haircut belongs in the Hall of Fame, though. 

• Haha 2

I say no.  This is mostly because MacLean doesn't have his number retired.

While Travis has been here a long time and has been a trooper, that isn't quite enough to get his number retired.  While he is inching his way up the all time Devils scoring list, he was never a big scorer in any season maybe outside of 08-09 and 09-10 when he was with Parise.  He is more of a compiler than any offensive force.

And yeah I can see the Daneyko comparison, but if Zajac is not a main piece in the winning of anything big like a Cup, he just isn't really isn't in the same category.

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I like this idea better.  The Ring of Fire thing has pretty much become an after-thought at this point by the team.

• Like 2

After Daneyko, if you’re not a Hall of Famer, you have to have been at least been a dominant player in the league for a decent stretch.  Hence Elias, and Parise had he signed an extension with us back in 2012.

Zajac doesn’t qualify, so no number retirement, although maybe don’t assign it to some rando a few days after he moves on. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have no issue with the "no"s.

But I gotta admit, it will be weird seeing someone else wear #19 someday. 

And the bolded is probably more where he belongs (along with guys like Brylin, Langs, MacLean, Pandolfo, McKay, Madden, Holik, etc)...for me, it was his simple longevity that me wonder aloud if he could ever be considered for a rafter raising (even though he would very clearly be a different kind of player). 

Yeah, those guys along with Gio, White, etc. That’s where Zajac should be. 

Keep the jerseys in the rafters special. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, those guys along with Gio, White, etc. That’s where Zajac should be. 

Keep the jerseys in the rafters special. 

Yup. It’s a slippery slope, if Zajac gets his jersey retired, then by the same logic, Andy Greene should too. And about 15-20 guys who played on the Cup teams too, but for the longevity with the organization. 

Let’s up Serega and Travis under the roof. I know this thing would never be, but Zajac was and is defensively smartest forward, I really appreciate his competent play. He was never have high skill, but he was and is good enough to play his minutes. And he will be our second or third all time in points. 

And I really don’t wanna see a player with his number on the back. But I don’t believe in it.

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Let’s up Serega and Travis under the roof. I know this thing would never be, but Zajac was and is defensively smartest forward, I really appreciate his competent play. He was never have high skill, but he was and is good enough to play his minutes. And he will be our second or third all time in points. 

And I really don’t wanna see a player with his number on the back. But I don’t believe in it.

I couldn’t have said it better. I think. 

I'm really disappointed the Ring of Honor stopped being a thing, cause we all had a good idea who should be in it.

I love Zajac, so I'm biased into thinking an argument could be made for him to go to the rafters. But realistically, him and Sarge should have absolutely continued the now defunct Ring of Honor practice.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I'm really disappointed the Ring of Honor stopped being a thing, cause we all had a good idea who should be in it.

I love Zajac, so I'm biased into thinking an argument could be made for him to go to the rafters. But realistically, him and Sarge should have absolutely continued the now defunct Ring of Honor practice.

Is it actually defunct, or have we just not added anyone else?