Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It's a total non-issue if its a one game decision. That is what remains to be seen. 

I mean, as I see it, it's a non-issue regardless. In the big picture Triumph makes a good point, Boqvist needs to be paced so he doesn't burn out. I just don't see potentoal burnout as the reason to sit him game 1.

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

My sense with the Boqvist not playing opening night thing, is that it's a matchup decision, and that Boqvist will play in Buffalo. I think Boqvist is going to get a bunch of games early on and if he can't hack it he's going back to Sweden and McLeod will get the call up.

He better play in Buffalo, that team is no bigger than us and we could use the skill against their suspect defensive corps and Carter freaking Hutton.

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, as I see it, it's a non-issue regardless. In the big picture Triumph makes a good point, Boqvist needs to be paced so he doesn't burn out. I just don't see potentoal burnout as the reason to sit him game 1.

Correct, you don’t start limiting a guy on day one to preserve him. 

• Like 1

Maybe they just wanted to get him in an “easier” game to start his career.  Winnipeg is a tough team.

So hopefully we see him in Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Is Winnipeg really a big, heavy team anymore?  I mean, they lost a lot of their size over the summer and outside of a couple players they really don't jump out to me as a "big" team anymore.

yes imo, they hit the rags all over the ice last night. To me they're easily one of the heaviest teams in the league. They never pass up the opportunity to finish a check and with a purpose.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Is Winnipeg really a big, heavy team anymore?  I mean, they lost a lot of their size over the summer and outside of a couple players they really don't jump out to me as a "big" team anymore.

I asked that question before they played the Rangers yesterday, and they certainly looked like they still play that way to me, Byfuglien (which is still not pronounced “Bufflin “,sorry) notwithstanding. 

What’s clear is that for now, Hughes needs to be sheltered with experience as he’s getting caved in and having gusev who is also new to the league on his wing is not gonna work early. 

simmonds cement skates are also showing to be a liability. 

How’s this for Wednesday:

gusev - hischier - palmieri

hall - Hughes - coleman

boqvist - zajac - bratt

wood - Zacha - simmonds

you’ve got skill and grit and experience on every line. 

as for d pairs:

Vatenen - subban

Greene  - severson 

butcher - carrick 

meuller has been sh!t and I’m convinced has dragged severson with him for two games. 

• Like 4

If Gusev is going to stay in the lineup, I think this is where I'm at right now (though I have little issue with Sundstrom's suggestion):

Hall-Hischier-Gusev

Coleman-Hughes-Palmieri

Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt

Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

This should insulate Hughes and Gusev as much as they possibly can be while still playing significant minutes. Part of me wants to keep Gusev on the left and do Hall-Hughes-Palmieri for line 1 and Gusev-Hischier-Coleman for line 2 but Hughes just can't be a 1C right now, I don't care who the wingers are, it won't go well.

I believe the advantage to my setup vs. Sundstrom's is that Hall keeps Hischier as his center. Hall is his usual dominant self out there, so I don't really want to mess with that. As I've said before though, I hope down the line Hall-Hughes becomes a feasible option because they've looked good together in brief flashes.

Re: defensive pairs, I'd probably leave Greene-Subban alone, but yeah, whatever it takes to break up Mueller-Severson/scratch Mueller, I'm in support of.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, Triumph said:

The Devils just went through a season where they had a 19 year old from Sweden who had not played in a long professional season before.  Jesper Bratt was basically done by the All-Star break in 2017-18 - he was totally ineffective down the stretch run.  The idea of load management for Boqvist - letting him ease into the NHL, even though he is almost certainly better than some of the players they are dressing now - is a good one.  He's 20 and he's used to playing an SHL schedule - 51 games last season with much lighter travel than the NHL.

He will get his games.

I couldn’t agree with this more.  I think more people need to keep in mind with the young players, like Boqvist, they’re going to hit a wall if they’d play all these games.  In the second half of the season we will either be in position to make the playoffs or we won’t, right?  If we are in the playoff hunt then it will be extremely valuable to the Devs that they have some young, talented players who can still be effective at the end of the season and beyond.  If we aren’t in the playoff hunt, then it doesn’t matter so much, but then they’ll get plenty of playtime anyway.  Any way you slice it, the best way to handle this is to conserve the young players energy since none are used to the NHL grind yet.

Man the amount of nuclear meltdowns going on right now.. not here so much, but HFboards and /r/Devils are in total panic mode right now.

I'll admit I'd feel a whole lot better if the team had held on in the first game.. or even looked remotely interested in competing on Saturday.  But like.. it's only been two games.  We're throwing a completely overturned forward corps out there that hasn't had time to gel.. Hall is playing his first games in like a calendar year.. our forwards struggling out of the gate this isn't exactly unexpected.

What IS concerning, in my opinion, is how awful our 2nd and 3rd pairs on D look.  Mueller continues to look like hot trash and Severson is again making me question my sanity.. though I'm hoping it's really the prior dragging the latter down.  Butcher/Vats looks decent I guess but they're a small pairing.  Also can't stand seeing Mr."clears it out along the glass" on the first pairing with Subban.  

Also concerning is how slow/awful Blackwood looked on Saturday.  I'm not going to hold Friday against him.. completely ridiculous and unfair scenario for him to be throw into.  But I do worry he's been rattled a bit now and it's going to take some time for him to regain his confidence.  Have to hope Cory can string some starts together here to right the ship.

I worry about Wednesday being another game where the home team is super-hyped and the Devils have trouble matching the energy.  It's the Flyers' home opener if I'm not mistaken after starting out in Europe.. the arena is going to be buzzing.  If the Devils come out slow i could see a repeat of Saturday.. easily.    

On 10/6/2019 at 12:20 AM, Neb00rs said:

If Gusev is going to stay in the lineup, I think this is where I'm at right now (though I have little issue with Sundstrom's suggestion):

Hall-Hischier-Gusev

Coleman-Hughes-Palmieri

Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt

Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

I like this, quite a bit actually.  Wood seems to be a one-trick pony with the IQ of a walnut, and Simmonds looks too slow out there to be on any of the top 3 lines.  Sucks to pay a guy 5M to play 4th line minutes, but he'll get his ice time on the PP I imagine.

Also love the idea of Coleman and Palms 'sheltering' Hughes on that 2nd line, and Gusev getting some help on D with Nico as his C.

All this said - you and I both know we won't see this on Wednesday.  Expect Hayden and/or Rooney to be dressed.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:20 AM, Neb00rs said:

Hall-Hischier-Gusev

Coleman-Hughes-Palmieri

Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt

Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

This should insulate Hughes and Gusev as much as they possibly can be while still playing significant minutes. Part of me wants to keep Gusev on the left and do Hall-Hughes-Palmieri for line 1 and Gusev-Hischier-Coleman for line 2 but Hughes just can't be a 1C right now, I don't care who the wingers are, it won't go well.

I believe the advantage to my setup vs. Sundstrom's is that Hall keeps Hischier as his center. Hall is his usual dominant self out there, so I don't really want to mess with that. As I've said before though, I hope down the line Hall-Hughes becomes a feasible option because they've looked good together in brief flashes.

Re: defensive pairs, I'd probably leave Greene-Subban alone, but yeah, whatever it takes to break up Mueller-Severson/scratch Mueller, I'm in support of.

I agree with those lines and I think that's the best possible setup right now.  Coleman is producing, and his work ethic is second to none, so he deserves 2nd line minutes.  Boqvist and Bratt should have enough speed to make up for what Zajac lacks in wheels, and he should be a solid puck possession center between the two of them. I think Zacha will be the same thing with the speedy Wood beside him and the gritty Simmonds on the opposite side.

I know it's rare and sort of insignificant, but if/when we see 3 on 3 OT situations, I absolutely want Hall and Hughes out there together.  It's the perfect time to develop some chemistry and let Hughes learn from Hall.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Man the amount of nuclear meltdowns going on right now.. not here so much, but HFboards and /r/Devils are in total panic mode right now.

I'll admit I'd feel a whole lot better if the team had held on in the first game.. or even looked remotely interested in competing on Saturday.  But like.. it's only been two games.  We're throwing a completely overturned forward corps out there that hasn't had time to gel.. Hall is playing his first games in like a calendar year.. our forwards struggling out of the gate this isn't exactly unexpected.

What IS concerning, in my opinion, is how awful our 2nd and 3rd pairs on D look.  Mueller continues to look like hot trash and Severson is again making me question my sanity.. though I'm hoping it's really the prior dragging the latter down.  Butcher/Vats looks decent I guess but they're a small pairing.  Also can't stand seeing Mr."clears it out along the glass" on the first pairing with Subban.  

Also concerning is how slow/awful Blackwood looked on Saturday.  I'm not going to hold Friday against him.. completely ridiculous and unfair scenario for him to be throw into.  But I do worry he's been rattled a bit now and it's going to take some time for him to regain his confidence.  Have to hope Cory can string some starts together here to right the ship.

I worry about Wednesday being another game where the home team is super-hyped and the Devils have trouble matching the energy.  It's the Flyers' home opener if I'm not mistaken after starting out in Europe.. the arena is going to be buzzing.  If the Devils come out slow i could see a repeat of Saturday.. easily.    

I like this, quite a bit actually.  Wood seems to be a one-trick pony with the IQ of a walnut, and Simmonds looks too slow out there to be on any of the top 3 lines.  Sucks to pay a guy 5M to play 4th line minutes, but he'll get his ice time on the PP I imagine.

Also love the idea of Coleman and Palms 'sheltering' Hughes on that 2nd line, and Gusev getting some help on D with Nico as his C.

All this said - you and I both know we won't see this on Wednesday.  Expect Hayden and/or Rooney to be dressed.

I am beyond delighted we have him over others.  I mean look at this trash below.  This guy is clearly not ready for the big time because of.....reasons.

image.png.a3f0b83a89e0e243859b2b2dd8763efb.png

31 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am beyond delighted we have him over others.  I mean look at this trash below.  This guy is clearly not ready for the big time because of.....reasons.

image.png.a3f0b83a89e0e243859b2b2dd8763efb.png

Yeah this is a head shaker.  Not going to re-hash the arguments about Smith but.. I'd rather watch him struggle in the NHl than Mueller.  At least you know there's something there with Smith. 

Almost wonder if Shero's afraid to admit defeat on this one.  It was a bad trade.. time to move on.

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah this is a head shaker.  Not going to re-hash the arguments about Smith but.. I'd rather watch him struggle in the NHl than Mueller.  At least you know there's something there with Smith. 

Almost wonder if Shero's afraid to admit defeat on this one.  It was a bad trade.. time to move on.

First part: Apparently Mueller "earned" his spot while Ty didn't.  The whole thing about Hynes before each camp saying that seniority doesn't play a factor in his decisions is just hot air.

Second part: Yup, I believe this plays a major factor in why Mueller sticks around.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

First part: Apparently Mueller "earned" his spot while Ty didn't.  The whole thing about Hynes before each camp saying that seniority doesn't play a factor in his decisions is just hot air.

Second part: Yup, I believe this plays a major factor in why Mueller sticks around.

Pointing out Ty Smith's offensive prowess is nothing new, and doesn't really help. He didn't win a spot in camp because he sucked. He was bad defensively and wasn't able to shine in the offensive zone either. He almost begged the Devils to send him back. That Mueller sucks isn't a legitimate platform for you to rue the day the Devils relegated Smith to juniors, he earned his way there. If anything, it means the Devils need to find another defensemen and the Devils knew that going in. Of course, Carrick has still yet to play. Even in the very unlikely [nearly impossible] scenario that Smith, today, could provide better defensive play than Mueller, the difference between the two would still be so marginal that switching the two on the roster would result in an insignificant difference.

On a related note, the defense is bad but I doubt they're THIS bad. They've had to work out of trouble from their own end a lot, including after Hughes and Co. ice the puck, and have been the victims of various other bad decisions by forwards. That's not to say they have been good, they haven't. Mueller sucks but Ty Smith isn't the answer. Sorry, I wanted him to be too.